hankinson gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
medlocke

Re: hankinson gone

Post by medlocke »

stevo38 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:00 pm i think while they are getting rid of players they should have a good look at the starting 13 that keep getting picked ,and have a proper clearout
Starting with 9
:ugeek:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

medlocke wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:43 pm
stevo38 wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:00 pm i think while they are getting rid of players they should have a good look at the starting 13 that keep getting picked ,and have a proper clearout
Starting with 9
9 players? Or just our number 9? :lol:
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

widdenoldboy wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:44 pm
medlocke wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:43 pm
Starting with 9
9 players? Or just our number 9? :lol:
2 :lol:
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I've not seen much of Thornley since he played for us. If it turns out that he's effectively a replacement for Zac at centre, my question would be "Does he pass to his winger?"

If he does, then what we lose in defence, we could gain in attack?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Shaun Wane Legend

Post by Shaun Wane Legend »

Dan2266 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:32 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:13 pm

Preparing my tin hat. I got absolutely slated for saying we were letting him go.
Why?

He had his chance and sadly it didn't work out for him
Was more tongue in cheek than anything, you just guess blah blah, anyone could guess a player out on loan would leave and so on…

Fair play to the guy, he’s been a top professional throughout the past month or so whilst this has been getting sorted out.
Sounding like a broken record.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am I’ll say again he was never going to come back and play for Wigan again after going to London,with no recall he was a dead man walking as far as Wigan was concerned and letting him go is the right thing for him and the club,for my money he wasn’t the answer frankly neither was Clark in fairness.
According to the salary cap rules with a season long lone none of his wages would have counted on Wigan's cap. Bring him back and they would. I think that will be why he wasn't recalled and I think you are barking up the wrong tree suggesting the no-recall signalled he was a dead man walking. He's obviously gone but I don't think the lack of a recall had anything to do with it.
I will however say this,I look at Joe Bretherton and the way he’s come on in France I doubt it’d have happened here,apart from his growing rugby prowess he looks like a chuffing rock star,oh to have that head of hair,so if Hankinson is the great talent his supporters would have you believe I think it’ll flourish in France.
Well Joe Bretherton has been playing for Toulouse in the championship so whether he and Hankinson are good enough to be SL players, we shall see. I think the reason Hankinson has his fans is because in the centres we haven't got any! If he stays Hardaker can play there but doesn't like it and after that it's playing the likes of Bibby out of position and I doubt that will go well if it ends up that way.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

DaveO wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:27 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:43 am I’ll say again he was never going to come back and play for Wigan again after going to London,with no recall he was a dead man walking as far as Wigan was concerned and letting him go is the right thing for him and the club,for my money he wasn’t the answer frankly neither was Clark in fairness.
According to the salary cap rules with a season long lone none of his wages would have counted on Wigan's cap. Bring him back and they would. I think that will be why he wasn't recalled and I think you are barking up the wrong tree suggesting the no-recall signalled he was a dead man walking. He's obviously gone but I don't think the lack of a recall had anything to do with it.
I will however say this,I look at Joe Bretherton and the way he’s come on in France I doubt it’d have happened here,apart from his growing rugby prowess he looks like a chuffing rock star,oh to have that head of hair,so if Hankinson is the great talent his supporters would have you believe I think it’ll flourish in France.
Well Joe Bretherton has been playing for Toulouse in the championship so whether he and Hankinson are good enough to be SL players, we shall see. I think the reason Hankinson has his fans is because in the centres we haven't got any! If he stays Hardaker can play there but doesn't like it and after that it's playing the likes of Bibby out of position and I doubt that will go well if it ends up that way.
Not sure what the cap has to do with things to me and this does seem to be the case when a player of that age is sent of for a year they don't play for Wigan again.

As for Bretherton he looks good in the few games I've seen him in on sky but I fear Toulouse will go right back down sadly
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I don't think we really know what, if any, P&R there'll be in the run-up to 2x10 team leagues. Also if there'll be minimum standards or requirements - in effect a franchising system.

So Toulouse could hang on to their place and be given time to build, as they surely should be?

Imo Wakefield, Leigh, Salford, Huddersfield, Fev, and Halifax offer less than Toulouse. And I mean in terms of exposure for RL, which impacts on sponsorship and TV deals, as well as increasing the range of youth development and strengthening the international game.

A 10 team SL1 could be:
Wigan, Saints, Wire.
Hull, Hull KR.
Leeds, Cas, Bradford (when ready).
Cats, Toulouse.

SL2:
Leigh, Widnes, Salford
Huddersfield, Halifax, Fev, Wakey.
York, London, Newcastle.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Shaun Wane Legend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:54 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:38 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:32 pm

Why?

He had his chance and sadly it didn't work out for him
Was more tongue in cheek than anything, you just guess blah blah, anyone could guess a player out on loan would leave and so on…

Fair play to the guy, he’s been a top professional throughout the past month or so whilst this has been getting sorted out.
Sounding like a broken record.
Thanks for recognition 🥰
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

morley pie eater wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:18 pm I don't think we really know what, if any, P&R there'll be in the run-up to 2x10 team leagues. Also if there'll be minimum standards or requirements - in effect a franchising system.

So Toulouse could hang on to their place and be given time to build, as they surely should be?

Imo Wakefield, Leigh, Salford, Huddersfield, Fev, and Halifax offer less than Toulouse. And I mean in terms of exposure for RL, which impacts on sponsorship and TV deals, as well as increasing the range of youth development and strengthening the international game.

A 10 team SL1 could be:
Wigan, Saints, Wire.
Hull, Hull KR.
Leeds, Cas, Bradford (when ready).
Cats, Toulouse.

SL2:
Leigh, Widnes, Salford
Huddersfield, Halifax, Fev, Wakey.
York, London, Newcastle.
I really Toulouse are given the chance to stabilise that they'll surely need we've seen time and again teams come and fail to stay the course.

Your other points on the set up are fair.