hankinson gone

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Mike
Site Admin

Re: hankinson gone

Post by Mike »

Promotion should happen the 2 years after you win it. Give you a full year to build your squad up to come into the league with a proper shot to sign players with a certain SL place.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Bradford Bulls returning to SL via this potential new structure as opposed to promotion is a bold statement indeed! I would hope the RFL would scrutinise their application something rotten!

One advantage Wakefield have is although they haven't lifted silverware and do circle around the relegation zone more often than the playsoffs, is they have demonstrated stability and don't go up and down each season or into administration.

The Bulls appear to go into administration every three years, the ground is as outdated as Wakefield (abandoned when Bulls played at Dewsbury) and like Leigh this season, the Bulls would need to strengthen significantly.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I do feel that perhaps Peopleton at Bradford and remember the glory days and full houses etc,if I had an issue it would be with that tea. Being allowed anywhere near SL,the ground is a dump for starters,on reflection no if I where running SL I'd have huge questions about them
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 am Bradford Bulls returning to SL via this potential new structure as opposed to promotion is a bold statement indeed! I would hope the RFL would scrutinise their application something rotten!

One advantage Wakefield have is although they haven't lifted silverware and do circle around the relegation zone more often than the playsoffs, is they have demonstrated stability and don't go up and down each season or into administration.

The Bulls appear to go into administration every three years, the ground is as outdated as Wakefield (abandoned when Bulls played at Dewsbury) and like Leigh this season, the Bulls would need to strengthen significantly.
i've posted previously that i dont get the clamour for Bradford back in SL. IMO they should be nowhere near SL unless they earn the right to be there, not just fast tracked based on a successful period at the start of super league

financially they have been in a real mess over the last 10 years or so, and i personally dont like the idea of Nigel Wood at the helm given his record at chief executive of the RFL.

as for Wakey, its a strange one as they too had financial difficulties but the new chairman seems to have steadied the ship, but for me as with Cas the elephant in the room is the standard of the ground etc. When SL 1st formed they should both have been made to upgrade / new ground or have been kicked out for not meeting the criteria. Every other team has done something about it apart from them, and they still get away with it, with the new ground every year, but still nothing
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

CheshireWarrior wrote:Bradford Bulls returning to SL via this potential new structure as opposed to promotion is a bold statement indeed! I would hope the RFL would scrutinise their application something rotten!

You are being too kind to Wakefield. They have been docked four points in the past for going into administration in 2011 facing a winding up petition from HMRC for £300k in unpaid taxes.

Even they didn’t think they would survive when it came to licensing renewal and it’s a mystery how they did. They kept promising they would meet ground criteria year after year and didn’t. They were not the well run club you seem to think and have been very fortunate to survive in SL. They had been warned their ground wasn’t up to standard and it would jeopardise their place and despite Halifax meeting all the licensing criteria (and having a higher capacity ground than Wakey), Wakey kept their place.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:57 am Bradford Bulls returning to SL via this potential new structure as opposed to promotion is a bold statement indeed! I would hope the RFL would scrutinise their application something rotten!

We're talking 2 years down the line. I wasn't suggesting Bradford be brought in if they're 6th in the Championship at that time, but that they seem to be building towards the point where they'll earn a place. (I did say "when they're ready".)

My list was meant as an example of what we could have, but based on my view of who brings something to the party and who just wants to gatecrash and sponge off others.

Probably the 2 most important criteria for me are ability to draw a crowd, and to produce quality players to sustain the game.

Imo, teams like Wakefield don't clear either of these hurdles - poor crowds, mainly use a mix of other teams' rejects and Islanders who didn't make it on the NRL.

Bradford have kept their academy going throughout their recent financial struggles, and have certainly demonstrated that they have a substantial support base.

My third factor is geographical spread to help with TV deals and public perception of our sport. Two French teams, possibly with their own TV deal, could not only help maintain income, but help France become the much-needed 4th competitive RL international team.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

morley pie eater wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:30 pm

We're talking 2 years down the line. I wasn't suggesting Bradford be brought in if they're 6th in the Championship at that time, but that they seem to be building towards the point where they'll earn a place. (I did say "when they're ready".)

My list was meant as an example of what we could have, but based on my view of who brings something to the party and who just wants to gatecrash and sponge off others.

Probably the 2 most important criteria for me are ability to draw a crowd, and to produce quality players to sustain the game.

Imo, teams like Wakefield don't clear either of these hurdles - poor crowds, mainly use a mix of other teams' rejects and Islanders who didn't make it on the NRL.

Bradford have kept their academy going throughout their recent financial struggles, and have certainly demonstrated that they have a substantial support base.

My third factor is geographical spread to help with TV deals and public perception of our sport. Two French teams, possibly with their own TV deal, could not only help maintain income, but help France become the much-needed 4th competitive RL international team.
I'm not accusing your goodself, but I firmly believe many are influenced by the bradford 'glory years'. I watched a DVD recently with Eddie Hemmings stating 'When Super League was born Bradford Bulls were born'. Time has simply moved on.

That's my whole concern two years indeed. The ownership and structure of Leigh and Featherstone (specifically), I would hope to have grown in those two years and other similar in calibre in the championship in Halifax, London and indeed Bradford (possibly Widnes).

I agree, Bradford might attract a larger crowd. Despite financial difficulties themselves though, Wakefield have always kept their heads above water (In terms of SL relegation and liquidation). They have also attracted prolific signings and have their own quality internally. Those rejects (at the very least), are players that keep them in SL though? Haven't we been associated with Miller? An NRL reject?

I might agree that the academy and fan base is there, but when you look at others around and the other aspects and history of the running of Bradford, is it enough?

It almost smells like Toronto for me Bradford now, we have this, that and the other, but it fizzles out eventually, which ultimately makes the code look incompetent.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Perceptions are that the financial penalties imposed on the Bulls by the RFL have hampered Bradford badly?