Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Post by josie andrews »

Miller had been a target for the Warriors as they look for a new half-back

Jacob Miller looks increasingly to remain at Wakefield Trinity in 2022 as the prospect of interest from Wigan Warriors begins to fade.

The Warriors had earmarked the Trinity captain as a potential replacement for Jackson Hastings after his departure to the NRL at the end of last season.

The 29-year-old has one year left on his existing contract with Trinity, but the club have previously dug their heels in over their reluctance to let him leave.

In September, Trinity chief executive Michael Carter said: "Jacob Miller is contracted to Wakefield for 2022. I can't comment on that (Wigan's interest), but we've never made a comment and Jacob is the captain of this club and he has been excelling under Willie. (Poching, head coach). Why would I want to lose Jacob Miller?"

However, Rugby League Live understands that Wigan had maintained their interest in Miller at that stage, but are now increasingly accepting of the fact that Miller is likely to remain at Wakefield and have reverted their attention to other targets. Wakefield were insistent that they would want a transfer fee for a player still under contract.

Miller was a high target of the club's new coaching staff, not least due to the fact he is regarded as a competent professional and the fact he has captained Wakefield for a number of years, ticking several of the boxes the club are looking for from any new half-back.

They remain in the market for another option to bolster their depth in the pivots, but it now appears as though Miller will see out the final year of his deal at Wakefield as Trinity always desired.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... e-22129030
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Post by fozzieskem »

My gut tells me wigans business this winter is done they do seem to want Miller so it wouldn't surprise me if they tried again next year for him
DaveO

Re: Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Post by DaveO »

Club holds player to contract and doesn’t cash in on a transfer fee. Well I never.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Jackson hastings confirmed his departure in April

We should of had his replacement wrapped up months ago and can see us ending up with a panic buy
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote:Jackson hastings confirmed his departure in April

We should of had his replacement wrapped up months ago and can see us ending up with a panic buy
I thought Miller was going to be that panic buy!
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I for one think its slightly concerning next season, if we don't sign a more experienced scrum half. I guess alot depends on if both Peet and Leuluai see him as a starting player and or a 7 or 9 for his final season.

I suppose alot depends on the behind the scenes work Briers is specifically performing with Smith. For me though, there's no substitute for experience and sadly Leuluai doesn't offer the complete package now!

Whether Miller is or would have been the answer? Who knows.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

My questions:

1. Who exactly are the "other targets"?

2. Was "Tommy going round again" a fall-back position in case this happened?
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
jobo

Post by jobo »

Bit dire to be fair. He's not a bad player Miller but for us to have scaled back our interest in a fair to middlin player says a lot.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Matty Peet provides update on Wigan's hunt for a new half-back

The Warriors are in the market for a playmaker to replace Jackson Hastings.

Matty Peet insists that Wigan Warriors will not rush into signing a half-back after revealing they have 'very strict' criteria on the kind of player they want to bring into the group.

With Jackson Hastings returning to the NRL, there is a vacancy in Wigan's squad for another half that the club has admitted they are looking to fill. Wakefield Trinity captain Jacob Miller was on their agenda at one point, but talk of him crossing the Pennines now appears to have faded.

But Peet stressed that the Warriors are by no means done in their hunt for a half-back, though they will do their due diligence and homework on any potential signing to make sure they are the right fit on and off the field for the group Peet is trying to build.

"We're looking all the time," he said.

We're in constant contact with managers and agents and we've people who we like the look of, but I must stress that it's important we're patient and when we make this signing that it's the right person and the right player.

"Culturally, they have to be the right fit. We have very strict criteria on that person and until that comes along, we'll remain patient. There are a few non-negotiables about the type of character we want to bring into the club, and perhaps we've not always been as meticulous with that. But we will be now."

Peet stressed that until they secure a half-back, he is happy with the strength he has in the department. Jai Field, Harry Smith, Tommy Leuluai and Bevan French can all play in the halves, though the latter is still continuing his rehabilitation from injury.

But Peet admitted he is looking to getting down to work with his squad when pre-season training begins on Monday, and starting to implement his vision for reviving the Warriors after a disappointing 2020 campaign.

It's very exciting," he said. "I'm looking forward to it. I'm trying to make sure that we deliver the right messages at the right times. We've got guys coming in at different times throughout pre-season, and it's about making sure we don't burn them out too soon. But we'll be ready."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is no surprise that even a player so forgettable as Miller can’t be bothered joining us. Just to recap then:

Smith is recovering from major surgery which will eat into/destroy his pre season
Our “plan” with French is to have Zoom calls because, err, he hasn’t bothered going to the gym or being in the country in which he is meant to be “working”, oh and is still injured
Field may have recovered from his leg injuries, and may be able to train: he remains, though a man whose pedigree is basically Jimmy Birts to Hastings’ Fairburn
Leuluai has never been a good 7 in his 20 odd year career, and yet he is our Plan A: as a “creative” player he is in the Dennis Moran class
Meanwhile we will be relying on Powell and, I am guessing, Partington, at 9 and 13

So, even if Briers can coach attack, he won’t have the key players available to coach.

And this against the backdrop of the WORST attack in Super League in 2021.

We are in such deep trouble it is unbelievable.