Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Post by Caboosegg »

It reads to me more we didn't want/couldn't afford a transfer fee than Miller wouldn't come.

Imagine the complaints if we had paid a fee to get Miller.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors set to scale back Jacob Miller interest and pursue other targets

Post by Firestarter »

Is it just me or does anybody else get the impression they are trying to tell us that hastings didnt have the right attitude…… i must admit we seemto be learning from past mistakes on players coming with the wrong attitude ( ruling the roost with demands about contracts and tweets about going home and other clubs etc)….. maybe just maybe our club has had enough and is moving in the right direction
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Firestarter wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:39 am Is it just me or does anybody else get the impression they are trying to tell us that hastings didnt have the right attitude…… i must admit we seemto be learning from past mistakes on players coming with the wrong attitude ( ruling the roost with demands about contracts and tweets about going home and other clubs etc)….. maybe just maybe our club has had enough and is moving in the right direction
Hastings honoured his contract so it doesn't matter now but is this more an overall thing, hopefully trying to change players taking the club for a ride
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:22 am It is no surprise that even a player so forgettable as Miller can’t be bothered joining us. Just to recap then:

Smith is recovering from major surgery which will eat into/destroy his pre season
Our “plan” with French is to have Zoom calls because, err, he hasn’t bothered going to the gym or being in the country in which he is meant to be “working”, oh and is still injured
Field may have recovered from his leg injuries, and may be able to train: he remains, though a man whose pedigree is basically Jimmy Birts to Hastings’ Fairburn
Leuluai has never been a good 7 in his 20 odd year career, and yet he is our Plan A: as a “creative” player he is in the Dennis Moran class
Meanwhile we will be relying on Powell and, I am guessing, Partington, at 9 and 13

So, even if Briers can coach attack, he won’t have the key players available to coach.

And this against the backdrop of the WORST attack in Super League in 2021.

We are in such deep trouble it is unbelievable.
A depressingly accurate summation

theres a few things in there for me

1) im sensing this release is almost a prep for no half back - its like a "we tried but we wont rush" but that doesnt wash Hastings has been a known leaver since he joined but even if you say he wasnt clear he was clear in April so the hunt should of started then not at the end of the season. I feel like they are trying to get away with a "cheap" season to strengthen the squad next year

2) on the culture, ive always had the feeling from Rads (this is after reading his book) he always saw himself as someone with little gifted talent but a huge work ethic. He seemed to me almost resentful of naturally gifted players especially those that didn't need to try as hard as him to reach that level. I feel like this is what dominates wigan's transfer policy its almost like we have to sign an underdog, they have to be "lucky" to be at wigan not wigan "lucky" to have them. Thats all well and good and you need players who are hard working but you also need mavericks and you need people on the pitch leading the team. The problem is when the "leaders" and voices are all in the coaching set up, the coaches cant help you on the pitch.
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:42 am
Firestarter wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:39 am Is it just me or does anybody else get the impression they are trying to tell us that hastings didnt have the right attitude…… i must admit we seemto be learning from past mistakes on players coming with the wrong attitude ( ruling the roost with demands about contracts and tweets about going home and other clubs etc)….. maybe just maybe our club has had enough and is moving in the right direction
Hastings honoured his contract so it doesn't matter now but is this more an overall thing, hopefully trying to change players taking the club for a ride
Yes he did and he played decent but there was always speculation surrounding him which can unsettle a team
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:42 am
Or maybe there's nobody available and they're using various statements as a crutch for this?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

If the club is in the position where it cannot afford a fee for a player that would really improve the squad then we've got major problems. If the player isn't really good enough then we shouldn't sign him irrespective of any fee. The coach stating that we're looking at 6's but he's happy with the squad (he has to say that at this stage doesn't he?) simply reflects poor planning. These rumours about a holding season in 2022 before a big cash injection the following season would be bearable if true but maybe what we see now is the situation for the forseeable future.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

What does he mean that we haven't been dilligent about the character of players we recruit in the past - which player/players specifically is he refering to that he had a grudge against?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

In fairness they are right.

We have the worst attack in SL.

Not buying a halfback won't change that.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Mike wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:14 pm What does he mean that we haven't been dilligent about the character of players we recruit in the past - which player/players specifically is he refering to that he had a grudge against?
Hazard a guess at Hankinson/Clark?