Wigan’s Bevan French still in Australia as he undergoes rehab

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan’s Bevan French still in Australia as he undergoes rehab

Post by DaveO »

The article is recycling news. The quotes are what he said when he exercised the option so it doesn’t mean he still feels the same way but it there is also nothing to say he’s changed his mind.

It does seem odd he’s not back. Our new Aussie forwards have managed to get here and I’d have thought Wigan would want to manage his recovery and rehabilitation.

If the reason he’s not back is personal the club should say so. It’s a valid and not uncommon reason. Instead the news agenda is being set by articles like this one who are basically just stirring it.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Caboosegg wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:51 pm
acwrlfc wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:32 pm

The only Saga is the one inside forum users heads.

The club stated he had activated the extra year, they also said that due to lockdown in Aus he hasn't been able to do the rehab he want

That has not changed.
Anything else is speculation based of no factual evidence.
I don’t understand what was going on inside your head when you wrote this.

There are other pertinent facts - 1) we are still paying him 2) he could catch a flight here tomorrow and be back to do the job he is being paid to do on Monday 3) he was injured in May, so 6 months ago and 4) he turned up late and unfit last season after being similar leeway. All of which suggests that the club has no control over what this player does, and that the player is somewhat less than committed to the cause.

Given that we had 5 classy backs going into 2021 and have lost 4 of them - Hastings, Manfredi, Gildart and (probably) Hardaker - with no Super League level players coming in, then if you are interested in how the club is going to go our inability to control the recovery or movements of our one remaining exciting back is clearly a saga.

Though it could be argued that the squad that was the least dangerous in Super League last year is so weak in so many other places that whether he turns up or not won’t make a difference. If that was the point you were making then I could see that.
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

acwrlfc wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:00 pm so do you think he should be back in for pre season training/rehab next week?
No back for Feb he is staying for personal family reasons. Doing Whatever rehab he can but club is confident he will be fit for start of season both rads and wane said same tonight
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

DaveO wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:33 pm The article is recycling news. The quotes are what he said when he exercised the option so it doesn’t mean he still feels the same way but it there is also nothing to say he’s changed his mind.

It does seem odd he’s not back. Our new Aussie forwards have managed to get here and I’d have thought Wigan would want to manage his recovery and rehabilitation.

If the reason he’s not back is personal the club should say so. It’s a valid and not uncommon reason. Instead the news agenda is being set by articles like this one who are basically just stirring it.
They have dave and was repeated again tonight
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

Sounded positive from the club last night at Wanes interview. Sad circumstances though and understandable but Wane was right about the need to be ready
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Whether or not French does return is debateable but seems regardless of that we wont have him in a fit state for a fair chunk of the opening part of the season.

This leaves us as it stands with a likely starting spine of;

Field/Hardaker
Smith
Tommy
Powell
Shorrocks/Partington

its hard to see in that even with rosiest of rose coloured specs where the direction/creativity will come from. Hardaker is a very good full back and support player, but he isnt creative.

Field is still a total unknown could be amazing could be Escare mk2

Smith is probably the most likely to steer the ship but still learning his trade so will be unreliable. he alos for me lacks pace

Tommy has never been nor will ever be a creative half his little burst runs have also dried up as he has aged

Powell is neither creative nor quick

Shorrocks has got a pass in him but he's not got the vision of a creative loose
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

ancientnloyal wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 8:25 am Sounded positive from the club last night at Wanes interview. Sad circumstances though and understandable but Wane was right about the need to be ready
Jt did but we shall see if he comes back terrible place to be in I will say that and speaking personally if I where in that position I'd be staying put too
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:23 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:09 pm I have specific goals = get paid for doing nothing, enjoying the good life in Sydney, and fixing myself up with an NRL contract ASAP

Just great work if you can get it.
You haven't a clue what that lad has gone through and still going through besides a very serious injury. He has said he will be back for start of season and he will. He is like everyone else his family his is priority and needs to be there. The club know and are 100% behind him. Why not try doing same
Quite who'd want to come back to the toxic comments from the other side of the World beggars belief itself!
Hastings and him last year and some fans are at it again.
Can't say I'm overwhelmed by it all but I understand the reasoning and that's good enough.
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I would bet my house on French never googling Wigan Warriors fans in his life, so I think people needn’t be too upset about any hurt feelings.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:33 pm The article is recycling news. The quotes are what he said when he exercised the option so it doesn’t mean he still feels the same way but it there is also nothing to say he’s changed his mind.

If you were having to deal with what Bevan is dealing with then I don’t think that you would be so quick to criticise the lad. First and foremost, he is a human being who is putting his family first and that has to be the right thing to do. Secondly, he will definitely return to Wigan, he loves the club and he believes that he owes a big debt to all involved. Thirdly, don’t be surprised if he extends his contract.