Cade Cust signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Cade Cust signs

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:10 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:08 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:23 pm

That would be great, and enthusiasm is always good. What is your reasoning? Is it inside info, or an instinct?
I just like what I see and read about him. If Trent says he is good then that will do me. Added to that, I think we will see a far more competitive side under the new coaching team.
As long as there is no favouritism and he rotates the squad the best he can, then I think you will be right.
That’s what I hate. Yes, you can have favourites off the field but not to the detriment of team selection!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Peet on Cust

Matt Peet welcomes new recruit Cade Cust.

Peet: “He speaks a lot about improving – improving as a player and as a person.”

Make it Wigan and see our new recruit in action with a 2022 season ticket. Click HERE to buy!

Head Coach Matt Peet gave his thoughts on his newest addition to the squad ahead of the 2022 season.

Half back Cade Cust has signed a two-year deal, with the option of a third year, and will link-up with his Wigan teammates as soon as possible.

“I’m really pleased,” Peet said. “We’ve been talking about looking for a half for quite a while now, we were determined to get the right person and the right character and we believe in Cade that we have got that. It’s part of the Club and the squad. It’s important we get a player who will come in and compete and make the team better.”

The boss was full of praise for Cust, who joins the Warriors from Manly Warringah Sea Eagles after making 27 appearances in the NRL. “As soon as we knew he was a possibility we were determined to make it happen and it’s happened really quickly. He’s excited to come and win.

“It’s clear he’s got a high level of Rugby IQ. Most importantly he speaks a lot about improving – improving as a player and as a person. We see him fitting into the squad and fitting into the halves primarily. The fact he can play at 9 too is a bonus to us.”

On when Cust will arrive, Peet said: “It’s just waiting on the process now and the visa application. The only thing stopping us now is paperwork.”

Make it Wigan in 2022 and celebrate our 150th year with a Wigan Warriors season ticket. Supporting Wigan is about more than just going to a game. It’s about something bigger, something special. It’s about playing our own individual role in helping the Club succeed. Buy your season ticket today. Click HERE for all the details.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/11/15/peet-on-cust/
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
moto748

Post by moto748 »

12 pages! :D

I'm pretty pleased. He's a talented lad, and should go well. Certainly a reason to feel a bit more optimistic about the coming season.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

moto748 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:10 am 12 pages! :D

I'm pretty pleased. He's a talented lad, and should go well. Certainly a reason to feel a bit more optimistic about the coming season.
I think we will go well next season if we can avoid too many injuries. We will be a difficult team to beat.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Dumb decision' - All Manly Sea Eagles fans say the same about Cade Cust's exit to Wigan Warriors

Cust is on his way to Wigan Warriors - and Manly fans are not happy about it.

Tragedy, stupid, madness.

They are just three words Manly Sea Eagles fans have used to express their anger at Cade Cust's departure to Super League.

Wigan Warriors announced the signing of the halfback last week in a move that caught many people out on both sides of the world.

Cust was under contract with the Sea Eagles for the 2022 season but the club granted his request to leave to take up a deal with the Warriors next year.

But it's fair to say Manly fans are not impressed to see the exit of Cust, who made 10 NRL appearances last season.

The response from Manly fans was near-unanimous - with supporters aggrieved to see him depart.

One fan tweeted: "He was too good, it was unfair on him to hang around and be overlooked. Good luck to him, he will kill it over there."

Another added: "It's sad, in his limited opportunities in the last two years I don't remember him having a bad game. He's an out and out NRL player."

"Stupid decision, needs to be in the squad," another said.

Many were left shocked that no other NRL clubs made their move.

"Cade Cust is 100% a first grade NRL player," one said. "I'm amazed so many clubs let him go off to England. He'll kill it over in England!"

Another poster added: "Madness, he's always provided plenty of impact when he's come on and our regular five eighth is finishing this year."

Other Manly fans were unimpressed, too. One fan said: "A decision that will come back to bite Manly, of course he will look elsewhere was never given an opportunity to show his best, wishing him all the best hope he kills it wherever he plays."

That sentiment was extended by another who said: "Seriously? He was a great player. Wasted opportunity. Not happy Manly."

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... dium=email
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

It certainly feels like Wigan have picked up a good one,perhaps an upgrade even on Hastings we shall see of course in the fullness of time but credit to the club on getting this lad.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

The NRL opinion of Superleague comes through in those comments.

I know overall they are better (money speaks) but surely the last few years of wcc should point out its closer than you think.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

They are right, though, the standard of SL *is* way below the NRL. But what concerns me more is that Wigan were so far below what is required last season. It's probably not unfair to say that every team in the comp (yes, even Leigh) played better rugby than us. Certainly scored more tries. And I hope CC can help us do something about that. I think he is an excellent signing.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

moto748 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:50 am They are right, though, the standard of SL *is* way below the NRL. But what concerns me more is that Wigan were so far below what is required last season. It's probably not unfair to say that every team in the comp (yes, even Leigh) played better rugby than us. Certainly scored more tries. And I hope CC can help us do something about that. I think he is an excellent signing.
Do you believe that the nrl fans watch enough SL to know the difference? I don't it's just inbuilt arrogance.

I accept we are behind but I also remember the excuses when the NRL lost 3-0 in the WCC in 2018 and how the games have been closer than alot of nrl matches recently.

If SL had their funding and the Salary Cap didn't water down team quality.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:58 am

Do you believe that the nrl fans watch enough SL to know the difference? I don't it's just inbuilt arrogance.
No. Only a small minority of Aussies fans actually watch much SL. But I do. I watch more NRL than I do SL, in fact. So I think I'm in a fair position to judge.
Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:58 am
I accept we are behind but I also remember the excuses when the NRL lost 3-0 in the WCC in 2018 and how the games have been closer than alot of nrl matches recently.

If SL had their funding and the Salary Cap didn't water down team quality.
The timing and usual location of the WCC hands the SL clubs a big advantage, we cannot claim it's a level playing field, it isn't. Yes, the NRL sides are beatable in a one-off game, just like any sports team. I remember cheering us on against Cronulla Sharks well enough (and other occasions). But the occasional victory doesn't kid me that a big gulf doesn't exist. I would expect Saints to get a good tanking from Penrith, if they can be bothered to come over. As Cleary was one of the coaches who seemed most publicly unenthusiastic about-the World Cup, maybe even that won't happen.