Cade Cust signs

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Cade Cust signs

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:02 am The NRL opinion of Superleague comes through in those comments.

I know overall they are better (money speaks) but surely the last few years of wcc should point out its closer than you think.
No it's not mate,I have but a passing interest in the NRL but even I can see its streets ahead.of the game here
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It looks to me that the NRL is much better, and getting even further ahead with each year that passes. In part that’s because they are getting stronger, and their player paths are getting stronger and in part it’s because we are getting weaker as a competition. They have so much wealth they can pick up the increasing numbers of players being developed in the Pacific Islands, junior union players because the boring code can’t compete and, worst of all for us, any SL player that takes their fancy.

That said, there is no reason why Wigan can’t put out an entertaining team with the resources we have, and the juniors we can draw upon.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:32 amThey have so much wealth they can pick up the increasing numbers of players being developed in the Pacific Islands, junior union players...
I think it goes deeper than that. Athletic young kids may well choose to follow a path into RL in Australia, NZ and the Pacific Islands as the NRL offers a very lucrative career over other sports. In the UK I am not sure that applies and I am pretty sure it definitely doesn't outside of places like Wigan and St. Helens. I doubt anyone is advising athletic young kids in Stevenage RL is a path to fame and fortune.

So it's not just players we lose to the NRL (or RU) that are the problem. It's those athletes who never even play the game who might have if it wasn't so strapped for cash.