Peet

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: Peet

Post by Barney841 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:53 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:51 pm There’s a big culture change coming at Wigan. Some players have left because they don’t subscribe to the new way of doing things, others will follow if they don’t comply. We will
see considerable improvements in a number of players, two of which I am predicting will be Byrne and Smithies.
I really hope it involves making sure people want to play for Wigan and not just as a stepping stone to the NRL
I don’t think there can be helped.
At the end of the day it’s a short career and who wouldn’t want to challenge themselves at the best, with a better pay packet with it.
Just need to stop, if it doesn’t work out we will welcome you back in open arms
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Peet and Wane are a team.
[/quote]

We have had co coaches once that I recall, Clarke and McInnes. It worked ok for a while, but only a while. Peet needs to understand his role and the extent of his responsibilities, and Wane needs to stick to whatever has been agreed. Which is easy to do in the offseason - but if, God forbid, Saints put 50 past us on Good Friday and we are looking at a spine of Hanley - Field - Cust (and genuinely I think he could be an excellent signing) Partington - Powell - then the lines of responsibility will need to be crystal clear.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 2:06 pm I really hope so. Our recent choice of coaches - McGuire, Wane and Edwards - have all been sound. Lam was of course a stop gap, who not only found himself the main event, but had to navigate his way round COVID. 3 things that bother me with Peet is why we weren’t a better side with him as assistant, I have huge concerns that our squad is simply very weak - whether or not they “buy into the culture” - and whether there are sufficiently clear lines between him and Wane.

Good luck to him.
Are you for real?? That’s a joke ….. isn’t it??
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He’s got a better chance than Lam with the additions of Ellis and Mago hopefully making it less likely the pack will need to consist of younger players who aren’t ready.

Lam made the job harder for himself by some distinctly odd selections where he himself fielded a a very young pack when he had alternatives.

I am also hoping with Peet we will see an end to players being played out of position.

Cust looks a good signing but we really need French back here and fit otherwise just as with Hastings everything will be on Cust’s shoulders to create something as Powell offers nothing in that regard and it’s easy to shut down a teams attack when they only have one player who is a threat as we saw last season.

If French doesn’t come back Peet needs to work out how to make sure we don’t end up in this situation or we will struggle to score points again.

The biggest concern is the backs. Thornley isn’t good enough and the other centre is likely to be Hardaker if he’s still here (and French is back at full back) or Bibby if he’s not and that centre pairing doesn’t inspire me much. Peet doesn’t have much of an alternative to this unless he plays a young player which if we have one good enough I’d like to see because I doubt either winger will see many passes from that pairing.

It will be interesting to see if there are any obvious differences which can be attributed to the coach. Support play was just about nonexistent last season with one man rugby and no one backing up the player making a break. That’s the sort of thing the coach can change and so let’s hope he does.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

thegimble wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am Peet will not be the influence on the team. Briers will
Any evidence for that statement?
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:54 pm He’s got a better chance than Lam with the additions of Ellis and Mago hopefully making it less likely the pack will need to consist of younger players who aren’t ready.

Lam made the job harder for himself by some distinctly odd selections where he himself fielded a a very young pack when he had alternatives.

I am also hoping with Peet we will see an end to players being played out of position.

Cust looks a good signing but we really need French back here and fit otherwise just as with Hastings everything will be on Cust’s shoulders to create something as Powell offers nothing in that regard and it’s easy to shut down a teams attack when they only have one player who is a threat as we saw last season.

If French doesn’t come back Peet needs to work out how to make sure we don’t end up in this situation or we will struggle to score points again.

The biggest concern is the backs. Thornley isn’t good enough and the other centre is likely to be Hardaker if he’s still here (and French is back at full back) or Bibby if he’s not and that centre pairing doesn’t inspire me much. Peet doesn’t have much of an alternative to this unless he plays a young player which if we have one good enough I’d like to see because I doubt either winger will see many passes from that pairing.

It will be interesting to see if there are any obvious differences which can be attributed to the coach. Support play was just about nonexistent last season with one man rugby and no one backing up the player making a break. That’s the sort of thing the coach can change and so let’s hope he does.
He’s also a better coach and man manager than Lam.
thegimble

Post by thegimble »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:55 pm
thegimble wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am Peet will not be the influence on the team. Briers will
Our weakness last few seasons under Lam is attack. Its been crap at times. That is something that can not be levelled at Wire under Briers as attack coach. Defence is solid but Wire scored close to 200 points more than us but we finished above them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

thegimble wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:27 pm
morley pie eater wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:55 pm
Our weakness last few seasons under Lam is attack. Its been crap at times. That is something that can not be levelled at Wire under Briers as attack coach. Defence is solid but Wire scored close to 200 points more than us but we finished above them.
that like saying Wane wasnt the influence at Wigan, Deacon was
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I’m on the fence - there are enough changes in the squad to mean that it’s very hard to call how we will go

My major concern would be if peet does try and play expansive rugby that would be polar opposite to wanes defence driven approach so how that would pan out if results didn’t go peets way?

I’ve found the similarities between us an Manchester utd interesting- a lot of criticism of Man Utd fans has been aimed at the coaching staff and “jobs for the boys”

Roy Keane after it’s last match;

The proof will be in the pudding over the next few years when we see who comes into the club, and that it's not because you know somebody or have a certain agent. You hope whoever does come into the club starts to make the right decisions, get the right people in for the job, and not because someone might know somebody, or they are a decent guy.

The idea of loyalty in the game... if you want
loyalty, get yourself a dog.

You've got to go and work with people who are good at their jobs. Having studied Manchester United in recent years, and looked at the changes they are making, I'm not necessarily sure they are getting the right people for the right jobs, the top people.

Sound familiar???
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Certainly does sound familiar. I think Keane would be taking a long hard look at Rads and his rise to his position if he was looking at Wigan. The loyalty comment about getting a dog is spot on.

Much is being made of the players the club wants having the right attitude. Professionalism presumably is what they are on about and really this should be a given and not need saying. I just hope it doesn’t mean if a player “kills it in training” he gets a five year contract when skills and talent wise he’s not up to it.