Isa 2 year deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Isa 2 year deal

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:52 pm
Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:27 pm He will be 33 at the start of next season and 35 when he enters the last year of his contract.

Re-signing players of this age is idiotic but the club keeps doing it and it has not proved successful yet. Lockers, Clubb and Tommy all played on at this age and proved shadows of the players they were and Isa won’t be any different.
It is not a hard and fast rules all teams have older players, it's about if the still have a role, while I agree TL is a shadow of his best days, I don't think Isa is.
I did a quick google search and found an article from last Feb which listed the then ten oldest players in SL.

https://www.totalrl.com/the-ten-oldest- ... e-in-2021/

Tommy is one and from that list two have retired (Shenton and Millington) and two, Inu and Sa’u are no longer in SL and aren’t playing first grade RL anymore.

So based on that there are six players older than Isa in RL including Tommy and three of ‘em at Saints, Roby who is a bit of a freak having played on so long along with Macarthy-Scarsbrook and Amor. So I don’t think it’s true all teams have older players as according to that list besides Wigan only Salford, Saints and Leeds have players of this vintage.

I may have missed the odd one who shares Isa’s birth year who didn’t make that list and I suppose Toulouse may have or sign some veterans who won’t have made that list but they aren’t supposed to be a top side. Bottom line is it’s not as common to play on at this sort of age as people may assume and Wigan need to get out of the habit of hanging on to players past their sell by date. Like I said it’s not worked yet and I don’t think it will with Isa. At most he should have got one year extra but really he should have been let go and the quota space and cap money spent on someone younger in my opinion.
I agree with all year might be better for Wigan but would the player sign it (and how much did they want to keep him)

And while your list is true currently older players is nothing new, I'm curious what the age of the treble winning Leeds team where for example or some of our players in 2010? Iight be miles out but for me form not age is important.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Have we re-signed him as a centre or a second row?
As it happens, I think he’s not bad in the centres, but I would pick at least 4 players in front of him in the second row, and probably 5 from what little I have seen of McDonnell.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

So based on that there are six players older than Isa in RL including Tommy and three of ‘em at Saints,
Question answered. Isa is at least as good as Amor and LMS. And teetotal, sets example in training and on the pitch.

"You win nowt wi' kids."
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

He deserved a deal after last season, he's got character and commitment something we really need.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

morley pie eater wrote:

So based on that there are six players older than Isa in RL including Tommy and three of ‘em at Saints,
Question answered. Isa is at least as good as Amor and LMS. And teetotal, sets example in training and on the pitch.

"You win nowt wi' kids."
Well one is Roby who is a freak and of the others either one or both are on a one year deal I think.

In any case I am not convinced he’s better than either of those two particularly LMS who though we love to hate him has caused us a lot more problems over the years than Isa has them.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Mickw wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 5:59 pm He deserved a deal after last season, he's got character and commitment something we really need.
He's a model pro who can get a grip of the younger lads and lead them the right way,I can't see Peet allowing things to slip presentation wise and he will surely help along with that
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Surprising how many people are satified with mediocrity, Isa is a decent second row forward and nothing more.At 33 he should not be given a 2 year contract, but the reason he has is probably because we are not looking to splash out for a better younger player.Isa spent most of last season playing centre, a position he has not filled for a long time and is far too slow.This one of a few reasons why we scored so few tries.Just another example of Wigan showing a lack of ambition.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

blindsideprop wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:31 pm Surprising how many people are satified with mediocrity, Isa is a decent second row forward and nothing more.At 33 he should not be given a 2 year contract, but the reason he has is probably because we are not looking to splash out for a better younger player.Isa spent most of last season playing centre, a position he has not filled for a long time and is far too slow.This one of a few reasons why we scored so few tries.Just another example of Wigan showing a lack of ambition.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

blindsideprop wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 6:31 pm Surprising how many people are satified with mediocrity, Isa is a decent second row forward and nothing more.At 33 he should not be given a 2 year contract, but the reason he has is probably because we are not looking to splash out for a better younger player.Isa spent most of last season playing centre, a position he has not filled for a long time and is far too slow.This one of a few reasons why we scored so few tries.Just another example of Wigan showing a lack of ambition.
Hope this doesn't have a negative impact on the young lads in thinking theyd get more opportunities elsewhere.

Moreover, this takes up a "non-fed" space so we are looking at losing one of Tommy/Field/French?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Can certainly say Isa is worth atleast a 12 month extension, not quite sure on two years though.

If we retain and see the return of form from the likes of Farrell, Bateman, KPP and Smithies, might not see him feature much in 2023?

Good question of has he resigned as a second row or centre, for me, it's definitely in the pack (despite those who are infront of him).