Isa 2 year deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
buttmonkey2

Isa 2 year deal

Post by buttmonkey2 »

𝙄𝙎𝘼 𝙎𝙄𝙂𝙉𝙎 𝙉𝙀𝙒 𝘿𝙀𝘼𝙇
😄 We are delighted to announce that Willie Isa has signed a new two-year extension to see him stay at the Club until the end of 2023.
https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2021/11/ ... -new-deal/
Back by demand.
medlocke

Re: Isa 2 year deal

Post by medlocke »

Happy with that, offers more than Lulu
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Was told this the other night,good news for me,he is according to some a “squad player”,me I see a lad who barely misses a game,is durable if injuries come along.

Yes good news.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I'm happy with this, good player who gives 100% and adds some grunt on the edge. Never going to be a game changer but always steady, his discipline dropped a bit last year but not anything else.

Probably see out his carrier at Wigan now :)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Sets the tone for the young players. Smart move by the club in my view. If we can keep our young pack together they will become a dominant force with a bit of guidance.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

He will be 33 at the start of next season and 35 when he enters the last year of his contract.

Re-signing players of this age is idiotic but the club keeps doing it and it has not proved successful yet. Lockers, Clubb and Tommy all played on at this age and proved shadows of the players they were and Isa won’t be any different.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

I like Isa and he’s in great shape for his age but we have plenty cover in that position. I would have given him a 1yr deal at a push.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:27 pm He will be 33 at the start of next season and 35 when he enters the last year of his contract.

Re-signing players of this age is idiotic but the club keeps doing it and it has not proved successful yet. Lockers, Clubb and Tommy all played on at this age and proved shadows of the players they were and Isa won’t be any different.
It is not a hard and fast rules all teams have older players, it's about if the still have a role, while I agree TL is a shadow of his best days, I don't think Isa is.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

A two year deal is suprising. We have any number of back row forwards unless he'll be playing right centre until we find a replacement for Zac.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote:
DaveO wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:27 pm He will be 33 at the start of next season and 35 when he enters the last year of his contract.

It is not a hard and fast rules all teams have older players, it's about if the still have a role, while I agree TL is a shadow of his best days, I don't think Isa is.
I did a quick google search and found an article from last Feb which listed the then ten oldest players in SL.

https://www.totalrl.com/the-ten-oldest- ... e-in-2021/

Tommy is one and from that list two have retired (Shenton and Millington) and two, Inu and Sa’u are no longer in SL and aren’t playing first grade RL anymore.

So based on that there are six players older than Isa in RL including Tommy and three of ‘em at Saints, Roby who is a bit of a freak having played on so long along with Macarthy-Scarsbrook and Amor. So I don’t think it’s true all teams have older players as according to that list besides Wigan only Salford, Saints and Leeds have players of this vintage.

I may have missed the odd one who shares Isa’s birth year who didn’t make that list and I suppose Toulouse may have or sign some veterans who won’t have made that list but they aren’t supposed to be a top side. Bottom line is it’s not as common to play on at this sort of age as people may assume and Wigan need to get out of the habit of hanging on to players past their sell by date. Like I said it’s not worked yet and I don’t think it will with Isa. At most he should have got one year extra but really he should have been let go and the quota space and cap money spent on someone younger in my opinion.