2 new signings Thornley and Silva

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Barney841

Re: 2 new signings Thornley and Silva

Post by Barney841 »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm There sure are some short and selective memories about. When Oliver Gildart first made the team and beyond, his link-up with Budgie and Faz made that left side the most lethal combination in SL and made Wigan a side to be reckoned with. His injuries, beginning with the crusher tackle from the unspeakable Ferres, have meant that we struggled to see the best of him recently but frankly, no one could have played well under Lam's coaching (or lack, thereof). Contrast his international work where he stood out.
I hope he succeeds in Oz and when he comes back, probably to another SL team, we may live to regret it.
Let's not trash the memory of a seriously talented player.
I’ve always said gilly is overrated, good player but he isn’t top draw for me.
And it was Faz who made our left said lethal. Faz is sharp and one of the best at running good lines, he would always be looking to pass the ball as well before or after breaking the line of defence.
He made gilly and budgie look good
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Barney841 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:50 pm
Southern Softy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm There sure are some short and selective memories about. When Oliver Gildart first made the team and beyond, his link-up with Budgie and Faz made that left side the most lethal combination in SL and made Wigan a side to be reckoned with. His injuries, beginning with the crusher tackle from the unspeakable Ferres, have meant that we struggled to see the best of him recently but frankly, no one could have played well under Lam's coaching (or lack, thereof). Contrast his international work where he stood out.
I hope he succeeds in Oz and when he comes back, probably to another SL team, we may live to regret it.
And it was Faz who made our left said lethal. Faz is sharp and one of the best at running good lines, he would always be looking to pass the ball as well before or after breaking the line of defence.
Faz is a good player, but sorry this bit is laughable.

If I had a pound for every time he should have passed but held on, I would have a tidy sum.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Gildart from debut until 2019 was a very good player for us. I’d say the best centre we’ve produced in a long time but ultimately we’ve not had that Gildart for the last two years, so his loss is minimal for me. He missed huge chunks of 2020 and 2021 and when he did play he was nowhere near his best.

I’ve said elsewhere that I think we’ve only really lost Hastings from last years squad in many ways. Manfredi never played, Gildart rarely played and the three props who’ve gone also featured only here and there and never played many minutes when they did.

That’s why I’m pretty content going in to 2022, especially with a new coaching set up. Thornley and Bibby cover the exit of Gildart and in French, Field and Cust we have three guys who can negate Hastings departure in creativity and attacking threat terms. Then guys like Miski, Mago and Ellis can’t fail to provide us with more than Manfredi (not his fault), Bullock, Clubb and Clark.

I’m not expecting trophies tbh but I’m expecting to be looking forward to games again.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wintergreen wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 11:13 pm
Barney841 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 10:50 pm
Faz is a good player, but sorry this bit is laughable.

If I had a pound for every time he should have passed but held on, I would have a tidy sum.
Your mixing Faz with Gildart there ;)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

medlocke wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:55 pm
Mike wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:07 pm Thornley never passes if I remember right.
That was Goulding
You’re surely joking?? He was our best centre at one stage & was a good fit with Richards until Carmont came!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:28 am
That was Goulding
You’re surely joking?? He was our best centre at one stage & was a good fit with Richards until Carmont came!
Yep.
pedro

Post by pedro »

That was Goulding
Your joking right? He was a wingers dream
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

Neither did Gildart
jobo

Post by jobo »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:34 am
josie andrews wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:28 am

That was Goulding
Yep.
Absolutely
Flash

Post by Flash »

pedro wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:40 am
That was Goulding
Your joking right? He was a wingers dream
Ah! But you're missing the point. He wasn't Polynesian. Meds only has the hots for Polynesian players. Anyone from Wigan is inherently bad. Quite a strange attitude for someone purporting to be a Wigan fan, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.