2 new signings Thornley and Silva

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Southern Softy

Re: 2 new signings Thornley and Silva

Post by Southern Softy »

There sure are some short and selective memories about. When Oliver Gildart first made the team and beyond, his link-up with Budgie and Faz made that left side the most lethal combination in SL and made Wigan a side to be reckoned with. His injuries, beginning with the crusher tackle from the unspeakable Ferres, have meant that we struggled to see the best of him recently but frankly, no one could have played well under Lam's coaching (or lack, thereof). Contrast his international work where he stood out.
I hope he succeeds in Oz and when he comes back, probably to another SL team, we may live to regret it.
Let's not trash the memory of a seriously talented player.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm There sure are some short and selective memories about. When Oliver Gildart first made the team and beyond, his link-up with Budgie and Faz made that left side the most lethal combination in SL and made Wigan a side to be reckoned with. His injuries, beginning with the crusher tackle from the unspeakable Ferres, have meant that we struggled to see the best of him recently but frankly, no one could have played well under Lam's coaching (or lack, thereof). Contrast his international work where he stood out.
I hope he succeeds in Oz and when he comes back, probably to another SL team, we may live to regret it.
Let's also not forget Gildart is and had always been ball greedy, which just adds to the fact of how good our left edge was in attack that it didn't stop the tries coming.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Southern Softy wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:41 pm There sure are some short and selective memories about. When Oliver Gildart first made the team and beyond, his link-up with Budgie and Faz made that left side the most lethal combination in SL and made Wigan a side to be reckoned with. His injuries, beginning with the crusher tackle from the unspeakable Ferres, have meant that we struggled to see the best of him recently but frankly, no one could have played well under Lam's coaching (or lack, thereof). Contrast his international work where he stood out.
Short memories indeed, He's been none existent for several seasons, The End
God2

Post by God2 »

Thornley has been brought in purely to give us momentum out of yardage and in the double winning season he was absolutely invaluable and under rated.

Yes he may be slower than Gildart but make no mistake Thornley knows where the try line is and excels in well drilled defence patterns. I was disappointed he left the second time round but the club didn’t offer what he thought he was worth and I would be inclined to agree.

Underwhelming to some people but he knows the culture of the club, staff and what is expected of him automatically, so for me that puts him firmly in front of any new signing with unknown or unexpected personality traits.

His strike rate for a Center is criminally underrated.
pedro

Post by pedro »

God2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:01 pm Thornley has been brought in purely to give us momentum out of yardage and in the double winning season he was absolutely invaluable and under rated.

Yes he may be slower than Gildart but make no mistake Thornley knows where the try line is and excels in well drilled defence patterns. I was disappointed he left the second time round but the club didn’t offer what he thought he was worth and I would be inclined to agree.

Underwhelming to some people but he knows the culture of the club, staff and what is expected of him automatically, so for me that puts him firmly in front of any new signing with unknown or unexpected personality traits.

hes a turnstyle
God2

Post by God2 »

pedro wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm
God2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:01 pm Thornley has been brought in purely to give us momentum out of yardage and in the double winning season he was absolutely invaluable and under rated.

hes a turnstyle
Judging off what? Playing in a poor KR, Catalan and Leigh side. Ok

Short memory.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Thornley never passes if I remember right.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Firestarter

Post by Firestarter »

Too be fair thorniley smashed it at wigan till his injury…….. great try in the cc final as i remember……. Lets let the lad fail before giving him grief
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pedro

Post by pedro »

God2 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:37 pm
pedro wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:26 pm

hes a turnstyle
Judging off what? Playing in a poor KR, Catalan and Leigh side. Ok

Short memory.
Poor Catalans side? short memory.....maybe it was poor as he was part of it or was it just everyone around him was poor and he was the shinning light :lol: :lol: hes a dreadful defender
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Mike wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 9:07 pm Thornley never passes if I remember right.
That was Goulding