Channel 4 to broadcast SL

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Channel 4 to broadcast SL

Post by josie andrews »

Wiganer Ted wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:08 pm It will be interesting to see the CH4 line up.

I do hope we get some experienced commentators and summerisers, there don't seem to be too many around.

As far as commentators I'd try and hire Dave Woods or Phil Kinsella. Summerisors , perhaps Michael Shenton, heard him quite a bit and is articulate and knows what's going on during play. Jon Wilkin is an obvious fit.
Studio anchor maybe Martin Offiah or Tony Rae. Studio summersisor Kevin Sinfield.

Those to avoid surely are Baz and Tez, Jones Buchanan, Peacock & Kev Brown.

We need a new presentation team which is quick in thought, quick in talk, slick, intelligent and have a great insight into the game.
CH4's picture presentation probably won't be as good as SKY's so they have to match them with a far, far better match personnel commentary team.

Free to air can only be good for the game.
Why avoid Kevin Brown?? I’ve always thought he has been good as a guest on Sky.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:49 pm
pearsy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:40 am Knowing channel 4 there will be adverts after every tackle
Better them than BBC, what a shower they are.
You're kidding, these days the BBC leave Sky for dead ! Mark 'Chappers' Chapman is a polished presenter and enthusiastic host and they have an excellent panel of pro's who talk common sense. The likes of John Wilkin, JJB, Kevin Brown, Jamie Peacock, etc are far more entertaining and insightful than the likes of O'Connor, Phil Clarke and Brian Carney. And Dave Woods as a commentator adds more knowledge and enlightenment than the doleful Bill Arthur !
Additionally, the BBC gives a more professional and lengthy build up to their games with intelligent features and interviews and then you can get the Red Button review programme at the conclusion of the games.
To be honest, I'm perfectly happy it's the BBC who've been given the contract for the World Cup, who will be broadcasting every match into the schedule. Heaven knows how Sky would have tried to bungle a proper format together to cover the full event ?
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Nezza Faz wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:33 am
pearsy wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 9:40 am Knowing channel 4 there will be adverts after every tackle
You're kidding, these days the BBC leave Sky for dead ! Mark 'Chappers' Chapman is a polished presenter and enthusiastic host and they have an excellent panel of pro's who talk common sense. The likes of John Wilkin, JJB, Kevin Brown, Jamie Peacock, etc are far more entertaining and insightful than the likes of O'Connor, Phil Clarke and Brian Carney. And Dave Woods as a commentator adds more knowledge and enlightenment than the doleful Bill Arthur !
Additionally, the BBC gives a more professional and lengthy build up to their games with intelligent features and interviews and then you can get the Red Button review programme at the conclusion of the games.
To be honest, I'm perfectly happy it's the BBC who've been given the contract for the World Cup, who will be broadcasting every match into the schedule. Heaven knows how Sky would have tried to bungle a proper format together to cover the full event ?
I totally agree.The Sky team are not fit for purpose and dont even look the part,usually look as though they have spent the night on a park bench.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:43 pm I imagine Claire balding will be in there she does the racing for 4 doesn’t she?

Personally I’d like to see wilkin I think he’s a great pundit speak really well and honestly
Channel 4 do not show racing its on ITV now .
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

blindsideprop wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:01 am

I totally agree.The Sky team are not fit for purpose and dont even look the part,usually look as though they have spent the night on a park bench.
😂 +1
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Maybe the could have a legend of the game and also a high profile celebrity guest for every game, let them give their view before, half time and after the game, Ben Stokes one week, Johnny Vegas another, then there's the likes of Bradley Wiggins, Roy Keane, Ryan Giggs, several actors from Emmerdale & Corrie etc etc, would be more entertaining than the Baz n Tez show
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Agree with Meds there

A very rare RL report in The Times today. It's behind a paywall so no use putting link.

"The clash between Hull FC and St Helens, the defending champions, on February 19 will be the second live match, followed, The Times understands, by Warrington v Wakefield Trinity on March 19 and Wigan Warriors v Salford Red Devils on April 24. Channel 4 will subsequently show six more regular-season games before two play-off matches at the end of the campaign."

Also good comments from Channel 4 about their approach. They'll look for a production company to do the job:

"Companies will submit proposals to Channel 4 about how they would like the coverage of Super League to look and what they would bring to it. We’re saying, ‘come and tell us how you’d do it’, bearing in mind we’re looking for a broader audience but we also want to satisfy the core rugby league audience."

“The phone has been red-hot because the announcement of the deal has created huge interest, so fingers crossed that translates into viewing figures.”

All sounds very positive.

Peter Andrews, Ch 4 Head of Sport, also says that the deal is a 3-way arrangement between SL, Ch 4 and Sky. Relations are good and Sky hope to benefit by Ch 4 bringing more viewers on board.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

I am not talking about their rugby presentation but their attitude in general. Scrap the licence fee and put them on pay per view and we would really see how popular they really are.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

That’s the problem with all broadcasters far to many “experts” you simply don’t need 3 or 4 voices you need 2,that’s why like it or not Eddie and Steve worked,and it did before anyone starts,think back to motor racing,walker and hunt I could go on.

It seems now we have to have studio guests,touchline guests guest commentary be quiet,shut up and let the game do the talking,Jesus wept does my noggin in it really does
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:08 pm

That’s the problem with all broadcasters far to many “experts” you simply don’t need 3 or 4 voices you need 2,that’s why like it or not Eddie and Steve worked,and it did before anyone starts,think back to motor racing,walker and hunt I could go on.

It seems now we have to have studio guests,touchline guests guest commentary be quiet,shut up and let the game do the talking,Jesus wept does my noggin in it really does
Robbie Paul running on the pitch - What's All That About ????
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐