Wigan’s 2022 squad numbers

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
DaveO

Re: Wigan’s 2022 squad numbers

Post by DaveO »

I’d imagine given French and his injury situation, Hardaker will play FB, Bibby moves to centre and Miski plays on the wing.

If I am right a centre pairing of Bibby and Thornley represents the worst centre pairing we will have had since I started watching Wigan bar none.

Without French that starting 13 if that is what the numbers represent just replaces Hastings with Cust from an attacking point of view especially if Field is not going to figure and if so it is no better than last season.

There will be a lot of pressure on Mago and Ellis to make more space and stop the pack getting battered but unless Peet can get a lot more out of Powell and Tommy has a new lease of life opponents will just have to close Cust down like they did Hastings.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'd say most posters have it about right, though, like many others I see KPP's potential, realistically it's too early for him to get the 11 shirt.

Smithies and Partington deserve to be in the 17, despite the building negativity about Partington - he's joined Powell, Isa and Thornley on the target list.

I'm willing to give Thornley a chance, though admit I wasn't blown over by his signing.

Just like someone said Partington's problem is not being 6'5" and 16 or 17 stone, I'd say Bibby suffers from not looking like Offiah or even Manfredi. If you ignore that and judge him on his performances, mostly in a beaten team, he's been quite impressive.

The numbers also inform on the club's view of Mago, Ellis, Miski, and especially Field. As someone who doesn't watch the NRL, and doesn't believe the club's hype (especially since Mitch Clarke, but going back to Doc Murray and Paul Koloi), these numbers get me nearer to the truth.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 pm I’d imagine given French and his injury situation, Hardaker will play FB, Bibby moves to centre and Miski plays on the wing.

If I am right a centre pairing of Bibby and Thornley represents the worst centre pairing we will have had since I started watching Wigan bar none.

Without French that starting 13 if that is what the numbers represent just replaces Hastings with Cust from an attacking point of view especially if Field is not going to figure and if so it is no better than last season.

There will be a lot of pressure on Mago and Ellis to make more space and stop the pack getting battered but unless Peet can get a lot more out of Powell and Tommy has a new lease of life opponents will just have to close Cust down like they did Hastings.
I am positive we will be far better than last season.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote:
DaveO wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:15 pm I’d imagine given French and his injury situation, Hardaker will play FB, Bibby moves to centre and Miski plays on the wing.

Well that’s not hard to be honest but just like last season we need French fit but far better? Not sure about that when we will probably have centre pairing of Bibby and Thornley for a while.

We also need Peet to get more out of Powell and for Tommy to defy his age. I am not sure either is possible.

I do think Cust, Mago and Ellis are positive additions but my fear is Cust will be a one man band like Hastings was because he’s basically it just as Hastings was.
Flash

Post by Flash »

DaveO wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:04 am
Charriots Offiah wrote:

Well that’s not hard to be honest but just like last season we need French fit but far better? Not sure about that when we will probably have centre pairing of Bibby and Thornley for a while.

We also need Peet to get more out of Powell and for Tommy to defy his age. I am not sure either is possible.

I do think Cust, Mago and Ellis are positive additions but my fear is Cust will be a one man band like Hastings was because he’s basically it just as Hastings was.
That's a massive oversimplification Dave. You have no idea how Thornley will go as yet and, even at his worst, he'll be better than Gildart was last year. Even more telling, a Thornley/Bibby partnership has to be considerably better than a Farrell/Isa one which we often had last year unless you subscribe to Lam's 'square pegs in round holes' philosophy, which I'm pretty certain you don't. That's before we get to the fact that the club expects French to be ready to go for the start of the season anyway!

Cust is a different player to Hastings and any partnerships will be different too. Hastings tried to do everything himself and didn't really form partnerships as such anyway. I would expect both a Cust/Tommy and a Cust/Smith partnership to be better than anything we had last year simply because they are likely to be just that...a partnership.

Our front row is significantly stronger than last year both in terms of the new personnel (Mago and Ellis HAVE to be better than Clubb and Bullock and the youngsters are a year older and don't have to contend with being the 'senior' props). You would also expect Bateman to be significantly better than last year as he was way down on any season he's ever had previously last time out. Our pack is better this year, no question. Much better in fact.

Then there's the new coaching setup. I'll say no more on whether I expect them to get more out of this squad than Lam did other than to say they simply couldn't get less.

To say we're the same other than Cust for Hastings is not painting the true picture. Not even close.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

The club says French will be ready, and over here, while they are trying to sell season tickets, but does anyone believe them? Given his tragic circumstances, why would he come back here at all? And if anyone is reassured by the idea that he is getting fit doing peloton sessions when he is the only dangerous player we have in the spine then that shows a commendably positive attitude unattached to reality.

Someone even suggested that Peet can get more out of Leuluai and Powell! We have watched them now for a combined period of nearly 30 years and know that neither has any attacking vision at all.

I suspect Cust will take a while to settle in, because pretty much everyone does, and that we will be unwatchable this year. The one thing we can remember from Wane’s teams is that “getting people in the grind” is pretty plan A, B and C. Unless Cust hits the ground running, a la Brett Kenny back in the day, this will be a long hard summer - by May, we will be looking back fondly on 2021 as free flowing,. And that will be a shame for Peet, but he just has no troops who even know what a gap looks like never mind with the skill to put anyone through it.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:42 am The club says French will be ready, and over here, while they are trying to sell season tickets, but does anyone believe them? Given his tragic circumstances, why would he come back here at all? And if anyone is reassured by the idea that he is getting fit doing peloton sessions when he is the only dangerous player we have in the spine then that shows a commendably positive attitude unattached to reality.

Someone even suggested that Peet can get more out of Leuluai and Powell! We have watched them now for a combined period of nearly 30 years and know that neither has any attacking vision at all.

I suspect Cust will take a while to settle in, because pretty much everyone does, and that we will be unwatchable this year. The one thing we can remember from Wane’s teams is that “getting people in the grind” is pretty plan A, B and C. Unless Cust hits the ground running, a la Brett Kenny back in the day, this will be a long hard summer - by May, we will be looking back fondly on 2021 as free flowing,. And that will be a shame for Peet, but he just has no troops who even know what a gap looks like never mind with the skill to put anyone through it.
We will look back on 2021 as free flowing?

Our coaching setup looks better
Incomings overall better than outgoings
Youngsters a year older
No injury crisis (yet)

I think you are being overly pessimistic and I am not sure what you’re trying to achieve? Either support the team or don’t.

I don’t expect us to challenge St Helen’s and Catalans, I think that will be a step too far but there are a lot of reasons why next year can be a lot better than this year.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:03 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:42 am The club says French will be ready, and over here, while they are trying to sell season tickets, but does anyone believe them? Given his tragic circumstances, why would he come back here at all? And if anyone is reassured by the idea that he is getting fit doing peloton sessions when he is the only dangerous player we have in the spine then that shows a commendably positive attitude unattached to reality.

Youngsters a year older
No injury crisis (yet)

I think you are being overly pessimistic and I am not sure what you’re trying to achieve? Either support the team or don’t.

I don’t expect us to challenge St Helen’s and Catalans, I think that will be a step too far but there are a lot of reasons why next year can be a lot better than this year.
So glad you posted what I wanted to! Have to keep biting my tongue after reading some of his & others depressing posts! 🤨

Why buy four season tickets to go to sit & moan or complain about the club, the team etc! Glad I don’t sit near you on match days!

I can’t get my head round some of the ‘supporters’ we appear to have. Constant sniping about everything Wigan Warriors!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:17 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:03 am

Youngsters a year older
No injury crisis (yet)

So glad you posted what I wanted to! Have to keep biting my tongue after reading some of his & others depressing posts! 🤨

Why buy four season tickets to go to sit & moan or complain about the club, the team etc! Glad I don’t sit near you on match days!

I can’t get my head round some of the ‘supporters’ we appear to have. Constant sniping about everything Wigan Warriors!! 😵‍💫😵‍💫
👏👏👏👏👏👏

Well said, Josie.

I'm sure I'll have said this before, but the attitudes of some on here remind me of the story of the Yorkshireman whose mate gave him a ticket to see Peter Kaye.

When he saw him next day, the mate asked "Did you enjoy the show?" He thought for a minute, stroking his chin, and said "Aye, it were alright I suppose.....if yer like laughing."

:lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:29 am
👏👏👏👏👏👏

Well said, Josie.

I'm sure I'll have said this before, but the attitudes of some on here remind me of the story of the Yorkshireman whose mate gave him a ticket to see Peter Kaye.

When he saw him next day, the mate asked "Did you enjoy the show?" He thought for a minute, stroking his chin, and said "Aye, it were alright I suppose.....if yer like laughing."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan