Mago and Cust?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Re: Mago and Cust?

Post by josie andrews »

Cade Cust ready to fill Jackson Hastings’ shoes

Wigan Warriors’ new signing Cade Cust is undaunted by having to fill Jackson Hastings’ shoes at the DW Stadium or being installed as equal favourite for the 2022 Man of Steel award by the bookmakers.

Cust is leaving NRL club Manly Sea Eagles to join the Cherry and Whites and is set to play in the halves in Super League.

The 23-year-old played alongside Hastings in reserve grade in Australia and is excited by the prospect of following in his footsteps at Wigan.

“I actually played in the NSW Cup with Jacko at Manly,” Cust told League Express.

“I was in the halves with him and I had a season with him. He’s done really well. I want to emulate what he’s done over there and make a name for myself.

“One of my mates sent it to me [being Man of Steel favourite]; it’s funny to look at but I guess I want to go over there and win games.

“I want to win trophies and whatever happens outside of that is a bonus. It’s always good to have a bit of pressure. I like it, I think I thrive off it a bit.”

Cust has played in the halves as a junior but mostly at hooker in the NRL. Now, however, he has set his sights on being a playmaker at the Warriors.

“I want to be a 6, a running 6,” he said. “I’ve been a controller throughout my juniors but then being behind Daly Cherry-Evans I’ve taken a back seat and focused more on my running game.

“I think that’s what I want to take to Wigan, along with the ability to control a team and get them around the park. I want to be in the halves in that six position.”

The halfback’s deal to come to Super League was finalised in just a few days and Cust says he has always wanted to play in the UK.

“I got a message one morning from my manager asking if I’d be interested in going to Wigan,” he explained.

“I said I’d have to speak to my family but I thought I’d really enjoy it. I spoke to them and that night I was on a Zoom call with Kris (Radlinski), Matt (Peet) and Shaun (Wane), and it happened that quickly.

“All of sudden we had a contract and that was signed within three days. I watch a lot of Rugby League, a lot of Super League and NRL. I know Wigan are very successful, so as soon as I heard from a big club like that I wanted to go over there. It’s a good opportunity.”

Cust hails from the Hunter region and has spent his whole career at Manly. The stand-off lived with former Wigan star Matthew Johns when he first moved to Sydney and he will arrive in the UK with recommendations from both Johns and ex-Warriors halfback Trent Barrett.

“Kris and a few of the coaches reached out to him to ask him about me and what I’m like as a person,” he said.

“That’s why everything happened so fast. I want to go over there and make a difference. That’s what the new coaching staff want – they want someone who’s going to be competitive and a winner.”

https://www.totalrl.com/cade-cust-ready ... -warriors/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

morley pie eater wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:23 pm Everyone should have known that Mago would arrive for Xmas. Mago is the singular of Magi, and 3 of them arrived for Xmas a few years back :lol: :lol:
Brilliant, worthy of "Only Connect" :)
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I like that Cust knows what he wants to do - although i ultimately lay that responsibility at the coaches door i think it helps when your more influential players know what they bring or want to bring then you can help develop a game plan around that.

I think a running 6 works well at Wigan so if he can bring that i think it will suit our style
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

That interview from Cust is very positive. We have a player coming for the right reasons. He clearly fancies coming over and we aren't getting him because he blotted his copybook or for any other dubious reasons.

I am still concerned he will be expected to do it all especially if French isn't back and fit but that's where the coaching staff come in and they need to be prepared to make changes instead of sticking with plan A if plan A isn't working. The fact Cust sees himself as a running no 6 is also very positive. It will make a refreshing change to see someone take the line and go forward when attacking rather than just pass the ball along the line at a snails pace.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:37 am That interview from Cust is very positive. We have a player coming for the right reasons. He clearly fancies coming over and we aren't getting him because he blotted his copybook or for any other dubious reasons.

I am still concerned he will be expected to do it all especially if French isn't back and fit but that's where the coaching staff come in and they need to be prepared to make changes instead of sticking with plan A if plan A isn't working. The fact Cust sees himself as a running no 6 is also very positive. It will make a refreshing change to see someone take the line and go forward when attacking rather than just pass the ball along the line at a snails pace.
Your concerned that despite a coaching change and Hastings going that 1 player will be expected to do it all.

I'm still sticking with that was Hastings so many times the play died because he tried to do to much. He was clearly a talented player (that can't be disputed)but I am of the opinion that we will overall play better without him.

(I also said similar before he was leaving so it's not cushioning because he's gone)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:55 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:37 am That interview from Cust is very positive. We have a player coming for the right reasons. He clearly fancies coming over and we aren't getting him because he blotted his copybook or for any other dubious reasons.

Your concerned that despite a coaching change and Hastings going that 1 player will be expected to do it all.

I'm still sticking with that was Hastings so many times the play died because he tried to do to much. He was clearly a talented player (that can't be disputed)but I am of the opinion that we will overall play better without him.

(I also said similar before he was leaving so it's not cushioning because he's gone)
Being concerned Cust will have to do it all if French isn't fit is hardly a controversial opinion given Tommy is past it, Powell isn't good enough, we don't have a 13 like Lockers any more and currently French won't be playing. Its got nothing to do with Hastings. Peet can't turn the clock back for Tommy and can't coach pace and skills the rest of the spine don't possess.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It is a good interview, and he is saying exactly what I would hope he would.

Looking at the best possible outcome, O’Neill looks like he has an attacking game, French may come back and may be fit, as the club are promising us, Smith can organise when he is on form, and Shorrocks looks like he has a passing game. If we have some go forward from Mago and Ellis (remember that?), giving them some space, and KPP is given the scope to offload, then we could be much better to watch than the unwatchable bilge from last year.

Having watched nearly 30 years combined of Powell and Tommy, we already know they can’t read a game and can’t put a player through a gap to save their lives.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:07 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:55 pm

Being concerned Cust will have to do it all if French isn't fit is hardly a controversial opinion given Tommy is past it, Powell isn't good enough, we don't have a 13 like Lockers any more and currently French won't be playing. Its got nothing to do with Hastings. Peet can't turn the clock back for Tommy and can't coach pace and skills the rest of the spine don't possess.
Haven't said your being controversial, if anything I'm insinuating you have applied the game plan of the last coach to the new one.

Bit harsh as well there is some talent I the team but it didn't play as a team last year.

I'm looking forward to seeing shorrocks given a go at 13, he's no lockers but he was a ball playing middle.

Unless I've seen something saying he's left as well we have Field to include somewhere and Hardaker wanting a shot at FB.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Cust should arrive tomorrow but will not be able to go Robin Park because of the new Covid restrictions & isolation for travellers so cant see him being there on Thursday night. 🙁

There will be something planned a little later 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:13 pm
Having watched nearly 30 years combined of Powell and Tommy, we already know they can’t read a game and can’t put a player through a gap to save their lives.
And most of that 30 years seemed to be last season :) :)