WIRE TO PLAY WIGAN IN RATCHFORD TESTIMONIAL GAME

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

WIRE TO PLAY WIGAN IN RATCHFORD TESTIMONIAL GAME

Post by josie andrews »

WARRINGTON WOLVES ARE EXCITED TO ANNOUNCE OUR FIRST FIXTURE OF 2022 WILL BE A PRE-SEASON GAME AGAINST WIGAN WARRIORS WHICH WILL MARK STEFAN RATCHFORD’S TESTIMONIAL YEAR.

Ratchford celebrates his 11th season in the primrose and blue next year and has been granted a Testimonial by the RFL for the next 12 months.

The fixture will take place at The Halliwell Jones Stadium on Saturday 29 January, 5.30pm kick-off. The game will see Daryl Powell take charge of his first game as our new Head Coach against our local rivals.

Tickets will go on sale online and from the official club store on Monday 13 December.

Ratchford said: “It’s going to be an absolutely massive game in pre-season and I’d like to thank both Clubs for their support in arranging.

“It’s always one of the first fixtures I look for when they’re released so to be able to get it as my Testimonial game is really special. Being a Wigan lad makes it that bit extra nice as well.

“Warrington v Wigan games are always a packed house with a great atmosphere and plenty of noise. There’s a lot of change and excitement around both clubs for the new season. It’s always a real physical and exciting game so hopefully the pre-season game will be no different.

“The reaction since my Testimonial year was announced has been really positive and I’m really grateful to all the fans for the support they’ve shown and hopefully that will continue throughout the year.”

Stef will be signing copies of his 2022 Testimonial calendar at a meet-and-greet event at Golden Square Shopping Centre, Warrington, tomorrow (Thursday 2 December) 6-7.30pm.

https://warringtonwolves.com/news/2021/ ... nial-game/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: WIRE TO PLAY WIGAN IN RATCHFORD TESTIMONIAL GAME

Post by josie andrews »

Glad I was right about this fixture, just got the time wrong in my Calendar.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

I do hope Wire open the away end. There will be a lot of us Wiganers turning up as it is so long since we saw a game of Rugby. Also Steph Ratchford is a Wigan lad, a respected man and player.

Let's hope Wire provide a great occasion for Steph, result apart!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Total Class again from Wigan Warriors. A thoroughly deserved Testimonial for Stefan Ratchford. Just shows the respect held for rival clubs & players 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼 🏉🍒⚪️❤️ 🏉🔵🟡

https://twitter.com/wiganwarriorsrl/sta ... 98156?s=12
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

I smile when opposition fans label Wigan as some sort of vermin club. I don’t see any other clubs consistently showing their class in the way that Wigan do and it’s great to see. The acknowledgment they show for opposition players career milestones is fabulous.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Why do the RFL need to grant the testimonial?

What would the difference be if they didn’t? Does it just make it official / recognised ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am Why do the RFL need to grant the testimonial?

What would the difference be if they didn’t? Does it just make it official / recognised ?
The player receives a certificate, a fridge magnet and some jazzy RL stickers
WarriorWinger

Post by WarriorWinger »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:51 am Why do the RFL need to grant the testimonial?

My guess is that it would count on the salary cap if they didn't.

Also there are differnet rules around player testimonials from a HMRC perspective so may need to be officially granted by the governing body
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm

Also there are differnet rules around player testimonials from a HMRC perspective so may need to be officially granted by the governing body
What would count on the cap? (Player appearances, bonuses etc?)
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:43 pm
WarriorWinger wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 12:26 pm

What would count on the cap? (Player appearances, bonuses etc?)
Traditionally a testimonial would generate a bit of money for the player. If this is still the case, then matches and the host of other events that will be on during that year could earn them quite a bit. Given players cant earn f*** all outside of their playing salary (sponsorships, advertising, social media etc) , i would think that the RFL granting the testimonial will mean that they can earn an extra couple of quid and it not be counted on the club salary cap.

i know footballers will often do it for a charity (RL players may do too), but they are earning mega bucks in comparison, so dont really need the money at the end of their testimonial year