Folly Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
archiekeith

Re: Folly Field

Post by archiekeith »

Well done that man,

It's clarified somethings for me I've always thought Folly field was located on land. Juxtaposed behind the old Walmsley engineering mill on Frog Lane ( Where The Isle of Man Laxy Wheel was manufactured),and Prescott street (where the old cattle market stood,locally known has "the Ment" opposite Land also known locally has "Jonty,s.
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

archiekeith wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:41 am Well done that man,

It's clarified somethings for me I've always thought Folly field was located on land. Juxtaposed behind the old Walmsley engineering mill on Frog Lane ( Where The Isle of Man Laxy Wheel was manufactured),and Prescott street (where the old cattle market stood,locally known has "the Ment" opposite Land also known locally has "Jonty,s.
You can find out all about Folly Field and Prescott St here:

https://www.earlywiganrugby.co.uk/grounds
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame
archiekeith

Post by archiekeith »

The link you forward to me I found fascinating reading. And confirms my original understanding but perhaps helps to give it the historical significance you supplied me with.

The two old farmers you refer to I assume their reference to. .....("farmers club") was an inference of them having just visited the cattle market where there was indeed a club for farmers/cattlemen to partake in some liquid refreshment. It was certainly there in the 60's. I can't place the "rope walk" referenced in the article but it did jog my memory concerning a gent from the towns Cleansing dept who enquiredof me if I knew where goose mill lane was. I was actually just leaving what I knew has the rope walk which ran from the Wallgate bridge down the back of Great George Street( opposite Queen street. I said I didn't but low and behold after some searching we found the street name plate Goose Mill Lane. I was astounded! The Rope Walk followed the railway line which passed over Prescott street where the street joined. Miry Lane. Prescott Street was the entrance to the locomotive sheds which included a Turn Table there being just one line for entering or leaving the site. Thanks again for stimulating my memories. 🍷cheers
ancientnloyal

Post by ancientnloyal »

There was a sore rate rope walk at a much smaller business to the immediate West of the cricket ground, with the train track embankment to the north. I wish I could have seen it set ablaze in a weird way. A nice little story
https://www.ancientandloyal.com/

James Slevin
Ces Mountford
And the “kind of rugby player you’d want to be in your dreams” James Leytham
Should be in the Wigan Warriors Hall
Of Fame