French update to fans

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wintergreen

Re: French update to fans

Post by Wintergreen »

If next season is about "rebuilding" (where have I heard that term before? :? ), then it would make sense to allow French to remain in Australia
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I have thought for months that we won’t see French play again over here. His reasons for staying put are admirable, of course, and we will have to keep paying him in the meantime, as it is the right thing to do.

So, with Hardaker’s bad back and disinclination to stay here, and Smith’s bad shoulder, we are faced with that relegation level spine of Hanley - Cust (god forbid he takes time settling in) - Leuluai - Powell - Partington. If not the least creative spine in 150 years, then it has to be among the very weakest. It is even weaker than the spine that couldn’t score for hours on end last year. Can anyone think of a weaker spine in SL, because looking at others’ squads I simply can’t find one.

We will continue to hear about how great pre season is going, how they are “buying into” the culture, and the “Wigan Way”, but we just don’t have the troops to cause any decent team any problems at all.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Just to illustrate the point:
Leeds - Myler - Austin - Sezer - Leeming - Tetevano
Hull - Connor - Reynolds - Gale - Houghton - Lane
Saints - Welsby - Lomax - Dodd - Roby - Knowles
Wigan - Hanley - Cust - Leuluai - Powell - Partington
We haven’t seen Cust play, and it can take players a while to settle in, but we have clearly the worst player in 4 of the 5 key positions.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:53 am I have thought for months that we won’t see French play again over here. His reasons for staying put are admirable, of course, and we will have to keep paying him in the meantime, as it is the right thing to do.

So, with Hardaker’s bad back and disinclination to stay here, and Smith’s bad shoulder, we are faced with that relegation level spine of Hanley - Cust (god forbid he takes time settling in) - Leuluai - Powell - Partington. If not the least creative spine in 150 years, then it has to be among the very weakest. It is even weaker than the spine that couldn’t score for hours on end last year. Can anyone think of a weaker spine in SL, because looking at others’ squads I simply can’t find one.

We will continue to hear about how great pre season is going, how they are “buying into” the culture, and the “Wigan Way”, but we just don’t have the troops to cause any decent team any problems at all.
Is there any evidence Hardaker won’t be fit for the start of the season?

The report on 10/12 states “ Wigan Warriors star Zak Hardaker has revealed he will be sidelined “for a few weeks” but insists he will be raring to go for the start of the 2022 campaign”

Are you choosing to ignore the above to suit your narrative or just speculating that it will be longer ?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

nathan_rugby wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:18 am
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:53 am I have thought for months that we won’t see French play again over here. His reasons for staying put are admirable, of course, and we will have to keep paying him in the meantime, as it is the right thing to do.

Is there any evidence Hardaker won’t be fit for the start of the season?

The report on 10/12 states “ Wigan Warriors star Zak Hardaker has revealed he will be sidelined “for a few weeks” but insists he will be raring to go for the start of the 2022 campaign”

Are you choosing to ignore the above to suit your narrative or just speculating that it will be longer ?
Yes there is evidence after winning nothing of note since pre superleague and nothing at all in the last 10 years wigan fans have a right to be nothing but negative :) (obviously a comment in jest)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
jobo

Post by jobo »

Mike wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:11 pm
jobo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:46 pm
Superb Chops wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:54 am Here’s how the Aussie press report Bevan French returning to Wigan this season before a subsequent return to the NRL, as seen in the latter half of the item.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... d92d77aec0
Commited to fulfilling the final year in his contract plus, Laurie Daley says Super League suits him down to the ground.

All sounds good to me.
Is that Laurie Daley bad mouthing him?
🤣🤣 could be, or at least he's saying SL isn't that good.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:09 am Just to illustrate the point:
Leeds - Myler - Austin - Sezer - Leeming - Tetevano
Hull - Connor - Reynolds - Gale - Houghton - Lane
Saints - Welsby - Lomax - Dodd - Roby - Knowles
Wigan - Hanley - Cust - Leuluai - Powell - Partington
We haven’t seen Cust play, and it can take players a while to settle in, but we have clearly the worst player in 4 of the 5 key positions.
How do you know Hardaker won’t be starting FB?

How do you know that it won’t be Ellis or Bateman who play loose?

You’re literally making stuff up
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Hardaker has a neck problem, and it is being operated on. I am conjecting that that is not a part of the body that you can rush. I put Partington at 13 because that is where he has played for us. As far as I recall, Bateman has been played in the second row.

I am making it up insofar as I don’t pick the team, but, judging by recovery times from neck injuries and that Partington has been picked at 13 in the past when other players were available. If I had picked Byrne at 13 I could understand people being cross. If we replace Partington with Shorrocks, does that transform the team?

As for whether I am entitled to moan, this is a forum last time I looked. We all saw what a stronger spine than this managed to achieve - not much - and so I am highlighting the position in which we may shortly find ourselves.
Mike
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

If French leaves then Hardaker maybe more inclined to stay - he'll probably become first choice FB again. SO maybe we replace with Aussie centre?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:26 pm Hardaker has a neck problem, and it is being operated on. I am conjecting that that is not a part of the body that you can rush. I put Partington at 13 because that is where he has played for us. As far as I recall, Bateman has been played in the second row.

I am making it up insofar as I don’t pick the team, but, judging by recovery times from neck injuries and that Partington has been picked at 13 in the past when other players were available. If I had picked Byrne at 13 I could understand people being cross. If we replace Partington with Shorrocks, does that transform the team?

As for whether I am entitled to moan, this is a forum last time I looked. We all saw what a stronger spine than this managed to achieve - not much - and so I am highlighting the position in which we may shortly find ourselves.
Shorrocks did well at 13 though ( as well as the team didn't a whole anyway). I can see the team playing alot petter with a 13 like shorrocks who will offload than a prop in Partington.

Hardakers expects to be back for the season start so bar a complication i imagine he's covering.

You added TL but unless I have missed Smith and Field leaving we could like up

Hardaker (Field/Handley)
Cust (Smith/Field)
TL ( Smith/Field)
Powell
Shorrock (Partington)

I would not be unhappy with

Hardaker
Cust
Smith or Field
TL (Powell sub)
Shorrocks

One thing that is evident is we have a young squad in key positions and I see that being our main issue.

I'm not bothered about other teams spines bigger names doesn't mean better players

Example Gale is a has been now.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.