Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
fozzieskem

Re: Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by fozzieskem »

I noticed when I attended the Shaun Wane interview there’s something different about the club to me,for the better too to me the pandemic seemed to widen the gulf between fans and the club,never a good thing they do seem to have taken that on board it’s good to see
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Sounds good.

As I have made clear elsewhere my concern is not with attitude or all getting on, it is around who will actually be fit and well to play at 1 - 6 - 7 - 9 - 13. I have no reason to doubt that Cust is a good signing. If French comes back, Field is a good half back, Smith kicks on, Shorrocks develops into a ball playing 13 and Powell and Leuluai don’t play at 9 and 7, then we could be much better. But no amount of bonding can make Powell, Leuluai, Hanley or Partington the answer to any spine questions...

Honestly, we could be anywhere between 1st and 12th,
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:14 pm Sounds good.

As I have made clear elsewhere my concern is not with attitude or all getting on, it is around who will actually be fit and well to play at 1 - 6 - 7 - 9 - 13. I have no reason to doubt that Cust is a good signing. If French comes back, Field is a good half back, Smith kicks on, Shorrocks develops into a ball playing 13 and Powell and Leuluai don’t play at 9 and 7, then we could be much better. But no amount of bonding can make Powell, Leuluai, Hanley or Partington the answer to any spine questions...

I think you like to moan for moanings sake! You make any feel good post & comments appear bad! 🤨
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:27 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 10:14 pm Sounds good.

I think you like to moan for moanings sake! You make any feel good post & comments appear bad! 🤨
Exiled wiganer does have point.
Is Peet gonna miraculously turn Powell into a running 9? Turn the clock back 7-8 years on Tommy? I wouldnt think so. Also for me Partington isn’t top forward and I don’t think he ever will be. Also we don’t know what field is like because of his unfortunate injuries and will Harry kick on?
Attitude or not you do question the team we have at the moment
God2

Post by God2 »

People forget there’s options at 9 and competition for places, playing style wise Is another factor also, nobody has any idea how we are going to be set up and what the game plan is.

As for a running 9 that’s a no from me because of defensive duties, you have a running 9, fatigue is a big factor. O’Neil for me fits the bill of a player that reminds me of Cameron Smith, I know it’s an over exaggerating statement to make, but I’m taking style. Cust can also play 9 extremely effective. I have no problem with regards 9.

Field is like a new player. Tommy for me has still got it, and for me earned the right to call time on his career himself and not the fans or the establishment.

If Ellis plays you will see a forward that makes a lot of tackles, and alongside Powell, Isa, Smithies and Shorrocks we have players that will do most of that work freeing up the likes of Partington to be the ball playing forward we need.

We will see a different team next year, I can guarantee it. The young lads are getting a lot more confident and the game plan will suit. For the first time in a while we will have backs that will get us out of yardage, Thornley and Miski will get us off our line as will Marshall. They will do the tough carries like Sarge and Gelling used to do. Miski is extremely strong for a winger and will surprise fans next year if he’s given a chance, it’s the biggest reason why we’ve gone for him.

There’s a lot of reasons to be positive, baring in mind McGuire brought only one player into his GF winning side ONE, it was the same team that Noble failed with for 2 years and everyone criticised then as well, the rest is history. This will be no different.
jaws1

Post by jaws1 »

When we was at Robin Park watching the training session under the lights you could see the players were enjoying the training .I feel very optimistic that this coming season will be good for us from the coaching staff downwards to the players you can see there is a buzz in the camp.
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

IMO there has been a massive shift in attitute coming out of the club in the last 2 months

Everything felt down and out with Lam at the helm (i dont blame his solely for this), and i think the fans and management were in that mentality too. It honestly felt like the life had been drained out of the club over the previous 18-24 months or so

Fast forward 2 months, and it feels so different to me. There is some good positive communication coming out of the club (i'm sure that some will still complain about it) and it feels like the club are engaging with the fans again. I know that there is the community activity, but i also believe that they are back in the local schools which is where our future lies (both as potential players and fans), so i can only applaud the club for what seems to be the start of getting us back to where we all believe the club should be, which is the biggest and best RL club in the world. If they are making improvements off the field, which we all know where needed and we start to see improvements on it, then there is no reason why in the next couple of seasons (possibly even this season) we shouldnt be challenging for trophies again.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

the pieman wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:17 pm IMO there has been a massive shift in attitute coming out of the club in the last 2 months

Everything felt down and out with Lam at the helm (i dont blame his solely for this), and i think the fans and management were in that mentality too. It honestly felt like the life had been drained out of the club over the previous 18-24 months or so

Fast forward 2 months, and it feels so different to me. There is some good positive communication coming out of the club (i'm sure that some will still complain about it) and it feels like the club are engaging with the fans again. I know that there is the community activity, but i also believe that they are back in the local schools which is where our future lies (both as potential players and fans), so i can only applaud the club for what seems to be the start of getting us back to where we all believe the club should be, which is the biggest and best RL club in the world. If they are making improvements off the field, which we all know where needed and we start to see improvements on it, then there is no reason why in the next couple of seasons (possibly even this season) we shouldnt be challenging for trophies again.
Considering In 2020 we got the LL and made it to the final and finished 4th last year (somehow) we cannot be that far from trophies anyway.

However as long as we can win the Derby next year I'm happy.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

I think we ought be setting our sights a bit higher than turning over Saints. Two or three games don't define a season; we need to be looking for silverware. And I hope we are.
Fujiman

Post by Fujiman »

moto748 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:16 am I think we ought be setting our sights a bit higher than turning over Saints. Two or three games don't define a season; we need to be looking for silverware. And I hope we are.
I think one follows the other.