Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by josie andrews »

Peet is putting his own stamp on the squad

Wigan Warriors are gearing up for their new era with military precision after a two-day pre-season camp with the British Army this week.

Head coach Matty Peet is keen to find and develop emerging leaders within his squad after taking the reins at the end of last term.

Peet has replaced Adrian Lam as the top boss and a new-look coaching team will see him assisted by Sean O’Loughlin and Lee Briers with Shaun Wane as leadership and management director.

Peet’s men spent two days at Altcar Training Camp near Formby where they took a wide range of tasks centred on leadership and team building.

“There is the leadership aspect, but it’s also about developing strong communication skills and the skill of being a good follower as well,” Peet told Rugby League Live.

Everyone gained the opportunity to lead in different situations but it was also about giving information and listening.

We felt it was a great chance to get off site into a fresh environment and bring the team together.”

Peet said his troops had responded positively to the challenges they faced during the two-day stay.

There were physical and non-physical leadership tasks,” he explained.

“Some of those related to mental aptitude tests or codebreaking, solving problems and crossing minefields.

“They were using different apparatus to solve certain problems and the physical leadership challenges such as an assault course, hostage evacuation scenario and stretcher runs.”

Peet’s men were addressed by different members of the British military, including the Gurkha Regiment, and Sergeant Rick Clement.

He served in the Duke of Lancaster’s’ Regiment for 16 years until an operational injury in Afghanistan ended his Army career.

Sergeant Clement had been flown home from Afghanistan with one leg missing from the hip, the other torn off just a little lower, and with devastating damage to his genitals and bowel.

He was given just a one in 50 chance of pulling through and Peet said Clement’s story was inspiring.

He continued: “It was inspirational and the players also did some work on the sand dunes at Formby, so they really did do a lot.

“It was basically two days and one night and we had a sit-down, silver service dinner with the British Army which involved a Fijian haka and songs.

We have really squeezed a lot into a short space of time, so it wasn’t a case of just going there and flogging them mindlessly.

“It was about putting the players in a situation where they have to cooperate, communicate and work together.

“It’s just about fast-tracking cohesion really, so we obviously hope to reap the benefits during the season.”

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... y-22505248
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by josie andrews »

I have been told by a friend who works in the offices that there is definitely a different feeling around the whole club just now with everyone feeling a lot happier & a “togetherness” going forward, & it has nothing to do with the Pandemic.

Let’s hope it continues 😊
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
Wes

Re: Matty Peet gives insight into Wigan Warriors Army camp as players learn valuable leadership skills

Post by Wes »

I think Peet will be a huge success. Definitely a step in the right direction for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
pieeater

Post by pieeater »

+1
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:25 am I have been told by a friend who works in the offices that there is definitely a different feeling around the whole club just now with everyone feeling a lot happier & a “togetherness” going forward, & it has nothing to do with the Pandemic.

But apart from Lam everyone else in the coaching staff was here last year - barring obviously briers

So are we saying lam was the sole problem and if so why was he kept in position for so long? As peet could of taken over jalapeño way through last season or before?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:07 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:25 am I have been told by a friend who works in the offices that there is definitely a different feeling around the whole club just now with everyone feeling a lot happier & a “togetherness” going forward, & it has nothing to do with the Pandemic.

But apart from Lam everyone else in the coaching staff was here last year - barring obviously briers

So are we saying lam was the sole problem and if so why was he kept in position for so long? As peet could of taken over jalapeño way through last season or before?
Sounds simple doesn't it but like in a normal job the manager can make or break the department (or team in this case).
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I am just repeating what I’ve been told. But please tell me what has “jalapeño” got to do with anything 😉
God2

Post by God2 »

I can’t help feeling there has been some kind of hard reset on the attitudes of the players and the overall squad.

A more disciplined approach, but more importantly a more informative one.

The new players seemed to have almost come in and look like they have been there for years, from what I’ve heard Kaide Ellis, Mago, Miski and Cust have instantly bonded with their teammates. Especially Ellis and Cust.

We all know Thornley still has quite a few friends still at the club so the decision to bring him back was a no brainier.

Lee Briers from what I gather is absolutely loving it, working with Lockers and SW he hasn’t once had a bad report from any fan he has come into contact with.

Jai from what I can gather is trying to be part of this team for the first time since his arrival, even tho he’s lost his grandmother not long ago the lads have got round him and has not been the pain in the arse he was previously which is extremely encouraging because there’s a player there with the right attitude.

I can’t wait for this season to start because even tho some of the fans are sceptical I can see a real title push this year. The treble?? I really wouldn’t put it past them.
Wes

Post by Wes »

God2 wrote:I can’t help feeling there has been some kind of hard reset on the attitudes of the players and the overall squad.

A more disciplined approach, but more importantly a more informative one.

The new players seemed to have almost come in and look like they have been there for years, from what I’ve heard Kaide Ellis, Mago, Miski and Cust have instantly bonded with their teammates. Especially Ellis and Cust.

We all know Thornley still has quite a few friends still at the club so the decision to bring him back was a no brainier.

Lee Briers from what I gather is absolutely loving it, working with Lockers and SW he hasn’t once had a bad report from any fan he has come into contact with.

Jai from what I can gather is trying to be part of this team for the first time since his arrival, even tho he’s lost his grandmother not long ago the lads have got round him and has not been the pain in the arse he was previously which is extremely encouraging because there’s a player there with the right attitude.

I can’t wait for this season to start because even tho some of the fans are sceptical I can see a real title push this year. The treble?? I really wouldn’t put it past them.
[emoji106] can’t help but feel the same way in regards to resets culture being one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

The J is silent ;)