Centres

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
First Try Tickle

Centres

Post by First Try Tickle »

To me centre is one of the most important positions on the field, as they pull the second rowers away from the middle of the pitch and then with room and speed create room for the winger to run.

However its looking like French won't be ready for the start of the season and probably Zak as well.

So that leaves us Thorley, Bibby and Isa as our starting centres.

I know all 3 of them are real tryers but i think we could really struggle if we have to rely on them until one of the full backs return.

We need someone with speed so the winger needs to come in, has Field ever played there, or will he be the one covering full back.

I'm really looking forward to the new season, but a starting back line of Field, Marshall, Bibby, Thornley, Misky, Cust and Tommy, with Powell at 9 does't really fill me with optimism.
DaveO

Re: Centres

Post by DaveO »

Presumably you think Zak should be at centre and French at FB? As you say neither likely to be available from the start of the season.

If so it's surely nailed on the centres will be Thornley and Bibby. Bibby is not a centre and Thornley is not good enough. It still blows my mind that knowing we needed at least one centre IL & Rads went and recruited Thornley. IL's very positive comments about him are unwarranted. If he actually believes what he said and it wasn't just a PR job he's on crack.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wigan have had a long running disregard for the position of centre and im not really sure why. We tend to think its a position not worth recruiting anyone to - and often just move wingers or 2nd rows there.

I dont agree its the most important position but i think at a bare minimum you should have players who play that position as a career and have at least 2 in your team. At the moment we have 1 and thats thornley - hardaker doesnt want to play centre and to be honest he's only ok there.

Id love to see us sign a powerful islander in the centres to really spice it up but like i say its a position that doesnt seem of interest to the staff at wigan
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:21 pm Presumably you think Zak should be at centre and French at FB? As you say neither likely to be available from the start of the season.

If so it's surely nailed on the centres will be Thornley and Bibby. Bibby is not a centre and Thornley is not good enough. It still blows my mind that knowing we needed at least one centre IL & Rads went and recruited Thornley. IL's very positive comments about him are unwarranted. If he actually believes what he said and it wasn't just a PR job he's on crack.
I'm so glad you watched every matched he has played with since he left wigan the first time and are able to contradict his rather decent stats with the truth of the matter.

He joined Leigh to go part time so he could get the skills requires for a Career after retirement. He may not be the best centre but he is nowhere near as poor as you have tried to make out since he signing was on the radar.
Last edited by Caboosegg on Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

I dont expect Thornley to pull up trees but i think he should do a solid job - at least he's a centre
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
God2

Post by God2 »

Thornley is a good player and his try to games equally impressive has scored over 20 try’s in a very poor Leigh side.

6 foot 6 and nearly 16 stone it’s a no brainier.

Does the hard yards and tough carries. He’s nowhere near as bad as people are making out and thats a fact.
pedro

Post by pedro »

God2 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:14 pm Thornley is a good player and his try to games equally impressive has scored over 20 try’s in a very poor Leigh side.

Does the hard yards and tough carries. He’s nowhere near as bad as people are making out and thats a fact.
his defence if terrible
pedro

Post by pedro »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:39 pm Wigan have had a long running disregard for the position of centre and im not really sure why. We tend to think its a position not worth recruiting anyone to - and often just move wingers or 2nd rows there.

I dont agree its the most important position but i think at a bare minimum you should have players who play that position as a career and have at least 2 in your team. At the moment we have 1 and thats thornley - hardaker doesnt want to play centre and to be honest he's only ok there.

Id love to see us sign a powerful islander in the centres to really spice it up but like i say its a position that doesnt seem of interest to the staff at wigan
your right, same with kickers
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:24 pm
God2 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:14 pm Thornley is a good player and his try to games equally impressive has scored over 20 try’s in a very poor Leigh side.

his defence if terrible
Is it?
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

Field to full back, ZAK at centre