Wigan Warriors utilise new man to eradicate goal-kicking woe

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors utilise new man to eradicate goal-kicking woe

Post by josie andrews »

The Warriors struggled from the kicking cone in 2021.

Wigan Warriors have already started looking to correct their goal-kicking issues from last year - with Lee Briers getting to task with the club's potential candidates for next season.

The Warriors struggled with conversion attempts last season, recording just a 60 per cent success rate across the Super League season.

That was comfortably the worst record in the competition last season and an issue head coach Matt Peet is keen to rectify ahead of the 2022 campaign.

Briers has been tasked with fixing up the issue and is already spending considerable time with players in an attempt to improve their goal-kicking for the new season. Briers kicked almost 1,000 goals for Warrington during his playing career and amassed near 3,000 points throughout his playing days.

As it stands, Wigan have yet to decide who will take on the duty, though Peet admits he is likely to be open-minded about who takes on goal-kicking responsibilities as the season develops.

Lee is doing a lot of goal-kicking at the moment," Peet said.

Harry (Smith) and Jai (Field) are the main ones shooting it out but we've got Zak (Hardaker), too. When Harry, Zak and Jai are in the team I'll go with the best kicker at the time.

"Lee is doing a lot of that at the moment and really working hard with them. We've not nailed our colours to our mast yet but under the tutelage of Lee they're all going to benefit from that time and knowledge.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... s-22528347
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Firestarter

Re: Wigan Warriors utilise new man to eradicate goal-kicking woe

Post by Firestarter »

Didnt know field could kick goals
IF YOU STRIKE ME DOWN I WILL BECOME MORE POWERFUL THAN YOU CAN POSSIBLY IMAGINE
pearsy

Post by pearsy »

Should have been sorted out a long time ago. Have not had a kicker after Pat Richards left
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Can we not bring him on when we have scored a try? Change the rules to those of American Football :D
jackthelad

Post by jackthelad »

Lovin this post and the previous one regarding centres!!!!

This once fantastic club have completely miss managed a quality play who fulfilled the centre role and could kicks goals for fun!!

He has now moved on and I for one hope it comes back to haunt the decision makers at the club

To see what centres/kickers the club have is not the dynamic superstars many would expect, it will be quite an interesting season ahead

Merry Christmas & Healthy New Year!!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

jackthelad wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:29 pm Lovin this post and the previous one regarding centres!!!!

This once fantastic club have completely miss managed a quality play who fulfilled the centre role and could kicks goals for fun!!

He has now moved on and I for one hope it comes back to haunt the decision makers at the club

To see what centres/kickers the club have is not the dynamic superstars many would expect, it will be quite an interesting season ahead

Merry Christmas & Healthy New Year!!
Merry Christmas & a Happy & Healthy New Year to you & your Family 😊🎄🎉🥳🍾
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
AndyNick

Post by AndyNick »

A couple of years ago they brought in Charlie Hodgson to teach Sam how to kick goals and it worked wonders. Whatever they paid him, they need to pay him again.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

For a kicker to be successful they have to live an breathe it. Richard’s dedication was what brought him success he actually started kicking to help him nail down his starting spot

Hardaker never really needed in with the kicking role imo - also on hardaker I saw a post on Instagram of him with a load of mates he stated he hadn’t been out with in a few years - are these the same group of friends that got him into trouble at cas? The same that he moved to wigan to get away from? Hope I’m wrong
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:33 pm For a kicker to be successful they have to live an breathe it. Richard’s dedication was what brought him success he actually started kicking to help him nail down his starting spot

Hardaker never really needed in with the kicking role imo - also on hardaker I saw a post on Instagram of him with a load of mates he stated he hadn’t been out with in a few years - are these the same group of friends that got him into trouble at cas? The same that he moved to wigan to get away from? Hope I’m wrong
Ticking time bomb
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

medlocke wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 7:12 pm
Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 6:33 pm For a kicker to be successful they have to live an breathe it. Richard’s dedication was what brought him success he actually started kicking to help him nail down his starting spot

Ticking time bomb
If he does "revert" then he should be shown the door straight away. He isn't a misguided kid anymore, he is a grown man.

Would be a massive waste of talent ala Gareth Hock imo.