Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan_forever1985

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:10 am FFS! Can we not give this Powell bashing a rest! He’s in the team, you can’t do anything about it. Moaning for moanings sake isn’t going to change it!

You can pick & choose who you follow or what you want to read. I have to read everything & everybody’s posts!

Honest to God, there are times when this forum is so bloody depressing!

It’s the Festive period, times have been bad enough lately & may get bad again, just try & be a bit nice for a change 😊
Genuine question though

This thread is about people who’s contracts are up - one of them is Powell - people including myself are putting forward reasons we think his contract shouldn’t be extended

So the posts are on topic with no one saying anything personal or offensive

What is the point of a forum for debate if you are limited to only saying positive things?
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 3:01 pm
Wandering Warrior wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:34 pm
Flash wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am

You've used this tired argument whenever you it concerns a player you don't like but never when it's player you do like so I'm going to call you out on it. Show me these stats that prove he is regularly 3rd/4th man in the tackle (and please don't give me any "I see it with my own eyes" type bollocks). If you can't...and I'd put money on it...then please stop making things up. The one thing you can't question about Powell is his work ethic and willingness in defence.

That said I agree Powell doesn't offer enough. If he could duplicate his form of 2 years ago on a regular basis that would present a different argument. So far I can't say he has ever done so. Too many seasons of hard graft but little attacking threat for mine.
Lockers was the last one who befell his rather outlandish comments.
He pinched a living from what I remember?🤔🤣
The Ronnie Biggs of Wigan ;) :lol:
Explain another halfwit comment?
Clearly you failed the space test at 11 years of age?
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:05 pm
josie andrews wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:10 am FFS! Can we not give this Powell bashing a rest! He’s in the team, you can’t do anything about it. Moaning for moanings sake isn’t going to change it!

You can pick & choose who you follow or what you want to read. I have to read everything & everybody’s posts!

Honest to God, there are times when this forum is so bloody depressing!

It’s the Festive period, times have been bad enough lately & may get bad again, just try & be a bit nice for a change 😊
Genuine question though

This thread is about people who’s contracts are up - one of them is Powell - people including myself are putting forward reasons we think his contract shouldn’t be extended

So the posts are on topic with no one saying anything personal or offensive

What is the point of a forum for debate if you are limited to only saying positive things?
I know the forum is about Q&A, debate etc that isn’t in question, but sometimes the same drivel is repeated over & over & over & over …. Well, you must surely get my drift!

You do put good points forward as do many other posters though 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

In this case, I can see why it feels like Groundhog Day, as the thread is very like one we had a short while ago, where I thought the list differed - for instance, we could have let Partington go at the end of the year on the previous thread. Powell’s name comes up over and over because, for many of us, we don’t want to watch more good defence. We honestly want to be entertained. I became a fan because of the likes Fairburn, Gill and Kenny, not Potter and Case.

Powell is the embodiment of zero risk, zero entertainment rugby. The prospect of more years of Waneball with weaker squads is horrendous. I want to be entertained. When we played Hull KR last year, they would throw the ball anywhere, they took risks, they were prepared to thrill us. It shouldn’t be impossible to see some of that from us. Someone compared Powell favourably with Clark - each to their own and some may love watching someone who can tackle all day - but give me Clark every day of the week, because he is an attacking threat. And I watch the team to see attacking rugby.

It is possible, and I hope against hope, that we will be entertaining next season. For all I know Field and Cust may transform our attack, and Briers may work wonders. But that would be my first, second and third wish - I don’t want attitude, hard to beat, the Wigan way (Wane’s version). I don’t care how hard they are working, or how fit they are. I want the emphasis to be on entertainment, and risk taking. Hence the Powell pile on - because an 80 minute non attacking hooker is the last thing we need, it really is.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:06 am In this case, I can see why it feels like Groundhog Day, as the thread is very like one we had a short while ago, where I thought the list differed - for instance, we could have let Partington go at the end of the year on the previous thread. Powell’s name comes up over and over because, for many of us, we don’t want to watch more good defence. We honestly want to be entertained. I became a fan because of the likes Fairburn, Gill and Kenny, not Potter and Case.

Powell is the embodiment of zero risk, zero entertainment rugby. The prospect of more years of Waneball with weaker squads is horrendous. I want to be entertained. When we played Hull KR last year, they would throw the ball anywhere, they took risks, they were prepared to thrill us. It shouldn’t be impossible to see some of that from us. Someone compared Powell favourably with Clark - each to their own and some may love watching someone who can tackle all day - but give me Clark every day of the week, because he is an attacking threat. And I watch the team to see attacking rugby.

It is possible, and I hope against hope, that we will be entertaining next season. For all I know Field and Cust may transform our attack, and Briers may work wonders. But that would be my first, second and third wish - I don’t want attitude, hard to beat, the Wigan way (Wane’s version). I don’t care how hard they are working, or how fit they are. I want the emphasis to be on entertainment, and risk taking. Hence the Powell pile on - because an 80 minute non attacking hooker is the last thing we need, it really is.
We all want that but this is the real world in a salary capped sport but truth is there will always be players like Powell who,when in form still don’t seem to do much but once they’re not there it only shows what they really do,since team sport was invented with the cavemen sport has needed that mix of the flash and the bash it goes together simple as that.

No one knows what Peet will bring to the side,me I’d sooner back him than put up with the sheer garbage of the Lam years anymore will be entertained yes I feel we will but it simply can’t get any worse than last season it simply can’t
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:06 am In this case, I can see why it feels like Groundhog Day, as the thread is very like one we had a short while ago, where I thought the list differed - for instance, we could have let Partington go at the end of the year on the previous thread. Powell’s name comes up over and over because, for many of us, we don’t want to watch more good defence. We honestly want to be entertained. I became a fan because of the likes Fairburn, Gill and Kenny, not Potter and Case.

This is the catch 22 though. You fell in love with the game because of Fairburn, Gill and Kenny, but they could not perform and provide that sparkle without the likes of Case, Potter, Gildart etc etc, and that is before we had a salary capped sport

For any team to be successful they need to get that balance right, but without any foundations to build on the backs generally wont prosper. There arent many teams that can win games with backs alone, if they dont have any momentum / territory which is laid by the forwards

where i think some will accept the Powell argument is that hooker is the position that touches the ball more than any other, so should be able to distribute quickly and accurately, and many will argue that he doesnt do that
Wintergreen

Post by Wintergreen »

Powell is nowhere near as bad as some on here make out.

He's a solid enough player in a salary capped sport, and I can see why he gets picked.
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

The words "salary capped sport" have been used by the last 3 posters.

This thread is about contracts and player retention yes?

The point is not is Powell a good (or average) player but should he have his contract renewed at the end of next season?

Lots of imponderables. He might be the best hooker in SL next season, what fans base judgement on is what they have already seen so they have a more retrospective view of him - good or bad

Now if Powell walks into the hooking spot and continues with the rubbish he served up last season unchallenged, surely Brad O'Neill's days should be considered numbered. It would be advantageous for the club to release said player and use the salary cap savings on another position (with O'Neill given the opportunity at another club) as has happened with Amir Bourouh

Either way, the next season makes or breaks either Powell or O'Neill as Wigan's future no 9
Back by demand.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I just popped in to say HNY to everyone. Then I read this thread and thought I was back in January 2021 . . . or Feb . . . or March . . . .

Josie's point, I believe, is that yes, you all have a right to express you're views, but the penny has dropped long, long, long ago. Yet we're still getting thread after thread of analysis, explanation, speculation . . . and it serves no purpose any more.

I'm optimistic for the coming season. We had a poor one last year and finished 4th in difficult circumstances. Everyone who is contracted for 2022 has a chance to prove their worth under a new coach and with some new players in key positions.

Things never improve from poor to outstanding in a single step, but the signs are that we're heading the right road. Talk of not renewing contracts can surely wait until the back end of the season? And fair criticism of players can be based on what they do, and how the team performs with or without them, during 2022.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Maybe if someone could just produce a template posting - something like “Wow! They look to be training so hard, I’m really optimistic. Wembley and Old Trafford here we come!”

Then there is no danger of upsetting anyone by, say, posting on a thread Josie set up called “When every deal runs out”. Just in case anyone reads it and accidentally thinks that a post conjecting about whose contract might not be renewed is a fair and reasonable thing to post.

Having looked at the league table so far, WE ARE EQUAL TOP! Keep up the great work, lads!