Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wandering Warrior
Posts: 3037
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:09 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by Wandering Warrior »

It seems to be the nature in certain quarters to find a scapegoat to slag off.
Obviously when the team needs the support most the fickle step up to the plate!
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
Exiled Wiganer
Posts: 2226
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:18 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

OK, if it isn’t Powell’s fault, it is the dreadful critical fans’ fault, what does his fan club think he can actually do - with some actual evidence - other than tackle? The case against is simple: all he brings is tackling and a work ethic and in this squad and this side that isn’t enough. The case for is???
widdenoldboy
Posts: 788
Joined: Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:25 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by widdenoldboy »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:16 pm I think there is a tendency to miss the point when it comes to Powell. I think he plays to the best of his potential, on the whole. It isn’t his form, it is his talent. He is a tackling hooker. The one thing we don’t need as a team is another tackler. If we had Tomkins at 1, Green at 6, Lam at 7 and Faz at 13, Powell would be fine. It’s when we have no play makers in the squad other than potentially Smith and hopefully Cust that we simply can’t afford someone who offers zero attacking threat. It might be annoying for him to be singled out, but it is for being the player he is rather than a lack of form.
Good, reasoned post.

It's not personal - if we have ambitions then we need the right quality in those key positions including hooker. The question raised is should we keep Powell? I'm sure we will see some improvement in go forward and creativity elsewhere, and Powell can chip in but should we keep him or look elsewhere?
medlocke
Posts: 9095
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by medlocke »

widdenoldboy wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:13 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:16 pm I think there is a tendency to miss the point when it comes to Powell. I think he plays to the best of his potential, on the whole. It isn’t his form, it is his talent. He is a tackling hooker. The one thing we don’t need as a team is another tackler. If we had Tomkins at 1, Green at 6, Lam at 7 and Faz at 13, Powell would be fine. It’s when we have no play makers in the squad other than potentially Smith and hopefully Cust that we simply can’t afford someone who offers zero attacking threat. It might be annoying for him to be singled out, but it is for being the player he is rather than a lack of form.
Good, reasoned post.

It's not personal - if we have ambitions then we need the right quality in those key positions including hooker. The question raised is should we keep Powell? I'm sure we will see some improvement in go forward and creativity elsewhere, and Powell can chip in but should we keep him or look elsewhere?
Time to go for me, he's had enough time to come good and he hasn't, a key creative role needs a creative player
Flash
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 am

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:45 pm Lower championship level at best, If he wasn't 3rd or 4th man in on the tackle so often his tackle stats would show his real level
You've used this tired argument whenever you it concerns a player you don't like but never when it's player you do like so I'm going to call you out on it. Show me these stats that prove he is regularly 3rd/4th man in the tackle (and please don't give me any "I see it with my own eyes" type bollocks). If you can't...and I'd put money on it...then please stop making things up. The one thing you can't question about Powell is his work ethic and willingness in defence.

That said I agree Powell doesn't offer enough. If he could duplicate his form of 2 years ago on a regular basis that would present a different argument. So far I can't say he has ever done so. Too many seasons of hard graft but little attacking threat for mine.
medlocke
Posts: 9095
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by medlocke »

Flash wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am
medlocke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:45 pm Lower championship level at best, If he wasn't 3rd or 4th man in on the tackle so often his tackle stats would show his real level
You've used this tired argument whenever you it concerns a player you don't like but never when it's player you do like so I'm going to call you out on it. Show me these stats that prove he is regularly 3rd/4th man in the tackle (and please don't give me any "I see it with my own eyes" type bollocks). If you can't...and I'd put money on it...then please stop making things up. The one thing you can't question about Powell is his work ethic and willingness in defence.

That said I agree Powell doesn't offer enough. If he could duplicate his form of 2 years ago on a regular basis that would present a different argument. So far I can't say he has ever done so. Too many seasons of hard graft but little attacking threat for mine.
To be fair can anybody show stats that prove he is regularly 1st/2nd man in, I don't make these things up, It's just reality :D
User avatar
Wigan_forever1985
Posts: 5801
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 9:50 pm

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

We will never get away from the Powell argument it looms over us like the smith argument did the main reason being hes "a nice guy" and people want him to succeed, so there are a good chunk of fans who want him to be good but you have to face facts he isnt now nor will ever be a top or even high up hooker.

These are the facts when it comes to Powell when you take the opinion out of it;

1. he was a half back - he wanted to play half back but he wasn't good enough to get in the team there

2. injury to a hooker led him to game game time there

3. he did a decent job - better than most expected of him, this should not be confused with being great there which it often is. Delivering over expectations when they are low is very different to be expected to be good in that position. In football an outfield player will sometimes cover for a goal keep when they are injured if they manage to pull off a few saves fans would quite rightly say hes done an amazing job there, that doesnt make him an amazing keeper.

4. He was then tried again at halfback which went so wrong they had to abandon the experiment not long into the season

5. This argument "coaches see something in him" well Wane didnt as soon as he had options, he selected 4 hookers for england in front of Powell, who has never been near the international set up with good reason. Since Micky Mac, Powell has never had another player to compete for his spot.

6. Numerous pundits have pointed to Powells lack of dynamism as a contributing reason for Wigan's poor attack

If Powell was released no team competing for honours would be interested in signing him Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalan/Hull would not be in the least interested his most likely destination would be Widnes.

What people need to ask themselves about so many people targeting Powell is that your number 9 puts his hands on the ball more than any player on the pitch. So yes Batemans form may have been off but this is what fans are trying to say 9 is probably the most important position on the field so to have someone so limited there is going to show up far more than other positions on the pitch
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
medlocke
Posts: 9095
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:57 am
Contact:

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by medlocke »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:52 am We will never get away from the Powell argument it looms over us like the smith argument did the main reason being hes "a nice guy" and people want him to succeed, so there are a good chunk of fans who want him to be good but you have to face facts he isnt now nor will ever be a top or even high up hooker.

These are the facts when it comes to Powell when you take the opinion out of it;

1. he was a half back - he wanted to play half back but he wasn't good enough to get in the team there

2. injury to a hooker led him to game game time there

3. he did a decent job - better than most expected of him, this should not be confused with being great there which it often is. Delivering over expectations when they are low is very different to be expected to be good in that position. In football an outfield player will sometimes cover for a goal keep when they are injured if they manage to pull off a few saves fans would quite rightly say hes done an amazing job there, that doesnt make him an amazing keeper.

4. He was then tried again at halfback which went so wrong they had to abandon the experiment not long into the season

5. This argument "coaches see something in him" well Wane didnt as soon as he had options, he selected 4 hookers for england in front of Powell, who has never been near the international set up with good reason. Since Micky Mac, Powell has never had another player to compete for his spot.

6. Numerous pundits have pointed to Powells lack of dynamism as a contributing reason for Wigan's poor attack

If Powell was released no team competing for honours would be interested in signing him Saints/Wire/Leeds/Catalan/Hull would not be in the least interested his most likely destination would be Widnes.

What people need to ask themselves about so many people targeting Powell is that your number 9 puts his hands on the ball more than any player on the pitch. So yes Batemans form may have been off but this is what fans are trying to say 9 is probably the most important position on the field so to have someone so limited there is going to show up far more than other positions on the pitch
Excellent post
josie andrews
Posts: 28848
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:17 pm
Location: Wigan
Contact:

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by josie andrews »

FFS! Can we not give this Powell bashing a rest! He’s in the team, you can’t do anything about it. Moaning for moanings sake isn’t going to change it!

You can pick & choose who you follow or what you want to read. I have to read everything & everybody’s posts!

Honest to God, there are times when this forum is so bloody depressing!

It’s the Festive period, times have been bad enough lately & may get bad again, just try & be a bit nice for a change 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage.
Flash
Posts: 62
Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:45 am

Re: Wigan Warriors contracts: When every deal runs out

Post by Flash »

medlocke wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:08 am
Flash wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 am
medlocke wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:45 pm Lower championship level at best, If he wasn't 3rd or 4th man in on the tackle so often his tackle stats would show his real level
You've used this tired argument whenever you it concerns a player you don't like but never when it's player you do like so I'm going to call you out on it. Show me these stats that prove he is regularly 3rd/4th man in the tackle (and please don't give me any "I see it with my own eyes" type bollocks). If you can't...and I'd put money on it...then please stop making things up. The one thing you can't question about Powell is his work ethic and willingness in defence.

That said I agree Powell doesn't offer enough. If he could duplicate his form of 2 years ago on a regular basis that would present a different argument. So far I can't say he has ever done so. Too many seasons of hard graft but little attacking threat for mine.
To be fair can anybody show stats that prove he is regularly 1st/2nd man in, I don't make these things up, It's just reality :D
If it's easy to show stats why aren't you showing the ones that prove he's 3rd/4th man in? ;)

I prefer to call it "an alternate reality" in your case Meds. You know...one where O'Loughlin wasn't "Wigan standard" :lol:
Locked