French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
buttmonkey2

Re: French

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Caboosegg wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:18 am
pedro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am
nathan_rugby wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:14 am

It was yes, not sure what Pedro is talking about.
im sure if we refused him keep going to Aus then he wouldnt have signed this or invoked it, its a terrible position for Bevan but the club needs to sort it as him missing 1 game is 1 game too many after the shambles that he offered last year
So you think the club should not of allowed him to return to Australia on compassionate grounds?
Let's reverse the question and ask you what you think the player should have done under the current circumstances?

For sure if it was me, I would never have invoked the extension and absolutely been prepared to stay in my home country and look after my family during a very troubled time - probably looking for alternative employment whilst doing so

He should have come over roughly the same time as Cust/Mago and Ellis. The fact he didn't suggests that we wont see him in cherry and white again. He needs to take responsibility for his decisions so he either carries on taking Wigan's money and flies over now or he asks for a release - no shame in that whatsoever
Back by demand.
pedro

Post by pedro »

buttmonkey2 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 pm
pedro wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am

im sure if we refused him keep going to Aus then he wouldnt have signed this or invoked it, its a terrible position for Bevan but the club needs to sort it as him missing 1 game is 1 game too many after the shambles that he offered last year
So you think the club should not of allowed him to return to Australia on compassionate grounds?
Let's reverse the question and ask you what you think the player should have done under the current circumstances?

For sure if it was me, I would never have invoked the extension and absolutely been prepared to stay in my home country and look after my family during a very troubled time - probably looking for alternative employment whilst doing so

He should have come over roughly the same time as Cust/Mago and Ellis. The fact he didn't suggests that we wont see him in cherry and white again. He needs to take responsibility for his decisions so he either carries on taking Wigan's money and flies over now or he asks for a release - no shame in that whatsoever
bingo
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:31 am

bingo
Guaranteed employment with compassionate leave. As a person do you blame him? As a fan it might be bad but as a person if your in a similar situation? To French it's no different to you going off ill and getting paid because its in your contract.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

He should have been told to be back for pre-season training or forget about it,he has had six months at home with pay and I personally think that is long enough,I lost both my parents and I was not given six months compassionate pay,the club needs to act on this to enable the fans to put it to bed.
Tricky Dicky1

Post by Tricky Dicky1 »

How do we know he is getting paid?

He may just be on unpaid leave
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

Anyone would have to be hard hearted not to feel for the lad, he is obviously in a bad place at the moment.However the sutuation needs resolving one way or the other.It is also a fact that our club has appeared to lurch from one crisis to another over the last few seasons.Personally I just think it is poor decision making by the management, but I am sure there will be some that disagree and will make every excuse to say otherwise and support IL and his underlings.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think the club have been fair to the lad clearly there was no point him staying here with a season ending injury so of course he would go home but its also clear that perhaps his rehab isn't going, or at least didn't seem to be going all that well as time moved on,so will he be fit as and when he comes back the last thing the club needs is for him to rock up and grab another injury after a game or two.
Last edited by fozzieskem on Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pedro

Post by pedro »

blindsideprop wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:28 pm Anyone would have to be hard hearted not to feel for the lad, he is obviously in a bad place at the moment.However the sutuation needs resolving one way or the other.It is also a fact that our club has appeared to lurch from one crisis to another over the last few seasons.Personally I just think it is poor decision making by the management, but I am sure there will be some that disagree and will make every excuse to say otherwise and support IL and his underlings.
I feel for the lad, my dad has MND now and know the pain, however, I would not even contemplate leaving to go around the world at this time, I have been offered so as my best friend is doing very well in Perth but cant at the moment due to the situation at home
buttmonkey2

Post by buttmonkey2 »

Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am
pedro wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:31 am

bingo
Guaranteed employment with compassionate leave.
Ok. So you think Wigan "owe" Bevan financially then? Why?

With unlimited compassionate leave? No one gets that (apart from those who think the current situation is more than acceptable).

Perhaps Wigan should have returned all the fan's season ticket money for all the crap the club served up last season??

Without sounding somehow uncaring why should he have agreed to the extension when he needed to be with his family? A family that resides 12,000 miles from his employment!

It is not the club's responsibility to make sure he can pay his bills and eat well and pay off his mortgage etc. That is Bevan's!

Like everyone else, he has to earn that money and by being 12,000 miles away, clearly not taking part in any pre-season training (for a second year) and also clearly going to have to follow isolation rules etc; if he ever decides he needs to start being the person that agreed to the contract he will be a long way short of being ready either mentally or physically.
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am As a person do you blame him?
So you are saying you think is is right for him to take Wigan's money and stay over in Australia for as long as he can - simply because fans like you think it is acceptable and professional behavior?

For fans assuming he is not getting paid. That would make him A "free agent". The guy is taking the club's money and an overseas spot - fact!

Well until something changes in the current stalemate that is
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am As a fan it might be bad but as a person if your in a similar situation? To French it's no different to you going off ill and getting paid because its in your contract.
Whatever the terms and conditions of my employment are - they are in no way as ridiculously "generous" as those Bevan is enjoying at the moment. Unlimited time off, full pay, not fulfilling the terms of my contract (re: training). Those are "benefits" no one apart from government ministers or soccer coaches receive whilst on "gardening leave". These are only usual when the person concerned is no longer wanted but diligence requires the individual to stay away.

At least you accept that the current situation is
Caboosegg wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 am As a fan it might be bad
No "might" about it pal - it IS!!!!!!!!!
Back by demand.
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Wigan have a habit of sticking with players and getting nothing out of it which may from a moral sense be the right thing to do but people can’t play the salary cap sport card to justify keeping bang average player if they are going to ignore it when it comes to other issues

The outcome will decide the value of the decision but in recent history I look at

Signing an injured Tomkins paying for his rehabilitation only to then start asking for a cheaper deal at the end and letting him go

Sticking by dom manfredi and selling Tom Davies when it was pretty clear to all dom was just perpetually unlucky

If this move from Wigan means bevan feels somehow indebted and stays for 5 years of blistering form after the. I suppose we could look back and say that was a great move

If however he doesn’t come back or comes back for a few games to get form back and then goes to the nrl you’d rightly have to question that they should of probably cut him loose - though unfortunate wigan are a sports team and I’m sure if they wanted to do right by bevan they could of said something along the lines of “we will de register you and pay you as a staff member for a year on x wage you can scout for us in aus while your situation resolves”
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure