French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
NICKYKISS

Re: French

Post by NICKYKISS »

I hope the lads as well as he can be and I’m sure he’ll be granted all the time he needs to grieve and support his family.

He seems a really nice guy and we all know he’s a fabulous player. It will be great to have him back but there can be no rush and as and when the time is right, it’ll be a pleasure to watch him run out in a Wigan shirt again.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Wes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am Thoughts are with Bevan, the club have and are handling the situation very well IMO.

People on here are too quick to forget the human element when it comes to sport.

Could you imagine being cut off from your employer in your time of need, knowing you need to be with your mum and your not getting a penny compared with complete support from your employer and not having to worry about where your next pay cheque is coming from whilst you spend the time needed with your mum.

Well done Wigan, family is more important than a game/sport which will continue in your absence.
I don't think anyone forgot the human aspect. What people were discussing is how long Wigan should keep a player on their books who didn't look like returning anytime soon which was a reasonable discussion.

Having lost both my parents I know what he is going through. It's a very sad time and he has my sympathy.

As to the support of your employer, Bevan has had far more that you or I would get from our employers. Both my parents passed away in 2010/11 and I wasn't paid for the months they were ill not to work so I could look after them. I had to do the caring and arrange all the support that was put in place including employ carers dealing with wage packets etc while still working. Incredibly stressful and a total nightmare particularly as my Dad had Alzheimer's but sadly far from an unusual experience I am sure. To be a full time carer as Bevan has been able to do I would have had to resign from my job. I got two weeks bereavement leave when they each passed away then I was expected back at work.

I am not saying the club should not have been as supportive as they have been but Bevan has been looked after very well by Wigan in a way far beyond what most people could expect from their employer.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am
Wes wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 am Thoughts are with Bevan, the club have and are handling the situation very well IMO.

People on here are too quick to forget the human element when it comes to sport.

Could you imagine being cut off from your employer in your time of need, knowing you need to be with your mum and your not getting a penny compared with complete support from your employer and not having to worry about where your next pay cheque is coming from whilst you spend the time needed with your mum.

Well done Wigan, family is more important than a game/sport which will continue in your absence.
I don't think anyone forgot the human aspect. What people were discussing is how long Wigan should keep a player on their books who didn't look like returning anytime soon which was a reasonable discussion.

Having lost both my parents I know what he is going through. It's a very sad time and he has my sympathy.

As to the support of your employer, Bevan has had far more that you or I would get from our employers. Both my parents passed away in 2010/11 and I wasn't paid for the months they were ill not to work so I could look after them. I had to do the caring and arrange all the support that was put in place including employ carers dealing with wage packets etc while still working. Incredibly stressful and a total nightmare particularly as my Dad had Alzheimer's but sadly far from an unusual experience I am sure. To be a full time carer as Bevan has been able to do I would have had to resign from my job. I got two weeks bereavement leave when they each passed away then I was expected back at work.

I am not saying the club should not have been as supportive as they have been but Bevan has been looked after very well by Wigan in a way far beyond what most people could expect from their employer.
Yes but it’s only a GAME at the end of the day. I don’t even understand why we have to discuss this on today of all days? It’s brilliant that the club have been supporting him imo and it’s a shame that other company’s don’t do more for people in similar circumstances. Just pay your respects and leave it at that. Condolences to bevan and his family.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

We can’t forget the fact COVID is around at the moment and it leaves international travel open to swift changes. It’s all well and good people comparing their situations with losing parents to that of French but the fact his mum was 12,000 miles away and in ill health during a global pandemic makes it difficult to really compare with anybody else’s situation (unless it’s been like for like in this last couple of years).

In normal times I’d probably be the first to say it could’ve been handled differently but in the current climate I think the club has done a really good job and deserves plenty of credit.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:56 pm We can’t forget the fact COVID is around at the moment and it leaves international travel open to swift changes. It’s all well and good people comparing their situations with losing parents to that of French but the fact his mum was 12,000 miles away and in ill health during a global pandemic makes it difficult to really compare with anybody else’s situation (unless it’s been like for like in this last couple of years).

In normal times I’d probably be the first to say it could’ve been handled differently but in the current climate I think the club has done a really good job and deserves plenty of credit.
Agreed.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

God bless Bevan.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

NICKYKISS wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:56 pm We can’t forget the fact COVID is around at the moment and it leaves international travel open to swift changes. It’s all well and good people comparing their situations with losing parents to that of French but the fact his mum was 12,000 miles away and in ill health during a global pandemic makes it difficult to really compare with anybody else’s situation (unless it’s been like for like in this last couple of years).

The pandemic and the distance does have a huge impact and ironically him being out with a long term injury made it easier for the club to act as they did. Absolutely no point in insisting he recover here given the circumstances he faced. Had he been fully fit, well that would have out the club in a bit of a dilemma. Wigan actually released Gelling return to NZ on compassionate grounds.
Fan4Fifty

Post by Fan4Fifty »

First of all sincere condolences to Bevan and his family - losing a parent in any circumstances is tough and people react very differently.

A few points I take out of Bevan's situation are that:

- the club has probably been very aware of what the prognosis was for Bevan's mum and the likely timescale - much more than any of us;
- the club may well have been told things in confidence and, if so, has honoured that position;
- being treated with compassion and patience by the club will no doubt leave a lasting positive impression on Bevan whatever he chooses to do in the future;
- without full knowledge of the situation we should be slow to judge.

I think that, on this occasion, the club has played a blinder. On the assumption that Bevan does come back, the way that he's been treated may well allow him to play with a smile on his face and terrorise the rest of Super League knowing that he has been able to do everything possible for his mum in terribly difficult circumstances. Well done Wigan.
Wes

Post by Wes »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:56 am

Maybe bear that in mind before sledging the club/owner/management in future running of the club, they ain’t as bad as you and others make out😉

I’d go as far as to say they do a good job but I won’t so as to keep people from feinting.
Wiganer Ted

Post by Wiganer Ted »

Sad days for Bevan, 26 is young to lose your Mum.
Condolences to Bevan and his family.
Take care.