French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
ddtftf

Re: French

Post by ddtftf »

I spoke to our ex coach Adrian Lam about 6 weeks ago and he told me French was not coming back to Wigan but felt there was optimism with some reports from him. I now honestly think we have seen the back of him sadly
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I just don’t follow the logic of it. How can we, as a club, conclude that the best thing to do is to do nothing indefinitely? He is a young man going through a tough time. Even if she tragically does not recover, he may well be much better off over there, with his family. His contract runs out at the end of the season, and he has plenty enough talent to get signed by someone else.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 7:11 pm
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:53 pm I guess the way it’s been handled might have been different in non Covid times. At a time when he would be free to come and go from Oz as he pleased, they could’ve asked him to come back on the basis that as soon as he needs to go back, he goes back and misses a couple of weeks of pre season or a couple of games but unfortunately things seem quite complicated with getting in to Oz and the whole Covid situation keeps changing in both countries and around the world.

It’s a horrible situation for the lad and I back the club in supporting him through it. I’d love to think that could lead to him feeling it’s a place that cares about him and one he’d like to commit to longer term. We’ll see how that plays out down the line if and when he comes back.
Yes.
Plus me 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:49 pm I just don’t follow the logic of it. How can we, as a club, conclude that the best thing to do is to do nothing indefinitely? He is a young man going through a tough time. Even if she tragically does not recover, he may well be much better off over there, with his family. His contract runs out at the end of the season, and he has plenty enough talent to get signed by someone else.
It isn’t a case of waiting for her to recover, she is dieing…

Shaun Wanes interview about a month back said something along the lines of “Bevan will be back when the unfortunate happens”
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

josie andrews wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:56 am
NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 6:53 pm I guess the way it’s been handled might have been different in non Covid times. At a time when he would be free to come and go from Oz as he pleased, they could’ve asked him to come back on the basis that as soon as he needs to go back, he goes back and misses a couple of weeks of pre season or a couple of games but unfortunately things seem quite complicated with getting in to Oz and the whole Covid situation keeps changing in both countries and around the world.

It’s a horrible situation for the lad and I back the club in supporting him through it. I’d love to think that could lead to him feeling it’s a place that cares about him and one he’d like to commit to longer term. We’ll see how that plays out down the line if and when he comes back.
Yes.
Plus me 😊
And me. I have every confidence he will play for Wigan again. When is another matter. He whole heartedly has my support Family first without hesitation.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

keptinthedarkfans wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:18 am
josie andrews wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:56 am

Yes.
Plus me 😊
And me. I have every confidence he will play for Wigan again. When is another matter. He whole heartedly has my support Family first without hesitation.
Plus another three.
When my dad was dieing of a brain tumour the company I then worked for (I'm now retired) said do what work you can do from home, just keep in touch.
After he'd died that company got so much more out of me in return.

Family should always come first.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

The club are doing the right thing by him in very difficult circumstances.

No one wants this, but it's how you behave in difficult times that show who you really are.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

The problem as I see it is Bevan is strongly linked with a return to the NRL in 2023. If he'd committed to Wigan on another two year deal or similar repaying the club for the way it has handled this then fine, the club could continue having him on the books as a Wigan player on extended compassionate leave with the expectation he will be back at some point.

If he's going to an NRL club in 2023 I do not understand why, given the situation he's in, the club has not agreed a release and why it hasn't sought to find another strike player to help the attack. We are in danger of everything going through our star half back again which is easy to shut down. I can only assume they expect him back sooner rather than later but then given the poor squad management the club has shown over recent years I don't think it's surprising fans are concerned this situation is just being left to drift.
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:13 pm The problem as I see it is Bevan is strongly linked with a return to the NRL in 2023. If he'd committed to Wigan on another two year deal or similar repaying the club for the way it has handled this then fine, the club could continue having him on the books as a Wigan player on extended compassionate leave with the expectation he will be back at some point.

If he's going to an NRL club in 2023 I do not understand why, given the situation he's in, the club has not agreed a release and why it hasn't sought to find another strike player to help the attack. We are in danger of everything going through our star half back again which is easy to shut down. I can only assume they expect him back sooner rather than later but then given the poor squad management the club has shown over recent years I don't think it's surprising fans are concerned this situation is just being left to drift.
:lol: Happy new year :lol:
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

Honestly, I think the kindest thing for all concerned would have been to have released him. He will have no idea how hard this is going to be. As many of us know, you can’t possibly know how long it could take. Even if he is ok, he may have siblings and other relatives to support. Moreover, there may be masses of admin that needs doing, which would be a nightmare to attempt, dealing with a 11 hour time difference. He has already been rumoured to be talking to NRL clubs for next year, and so he could be looking into what their position is for 2022.

I get that the club needs to do the right thing, and they can’t be morally faulted for a stance of “take your time, family comes first”. I just don’t follow the logic that says that getting him over here for a few months is the right thing to do.