French

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: French

Post by Caboosegg »

Butt monkey we don't actually know the facts behind why Bevan extended, how much he's being paid etc. Other than those involved and what we have been told in the media we can only assume. This is the only reason I don't seem as bothered as some posted. You know the what they say about Assumptions.

The again as the example above shows people memories change to fit their opinions over time.

Tomkins was still offered one of the highest contracts the club has offered (according to the articles). This was on the back of him not showing the form he is doing for Catalan and multiple injuries keeping him out for large chunks of the season. He then spoke to Catalan before he was contractually allowed.

Tomkins looked like he had been knackard by the NRL and I'm glad he hasn't been it's a shame his form is benefitting Catalan and not us.

Back to French it is was it is and its a shame that the club actually standing by a player is being used to attack them because a couple of rumour mongers in Australia have said he's not coming back.

He might not come back if the inevitable doesn't happen before season end and as a person I hope it doesn't the more time you can get to spend with loved ones etc.

As a fan I am frustrated, unless he's deregistered he's taking up cap space but if you take the video release at face value he has activated the extra year as he wants to play and pay back the club.

I don't know about others but with the stream of negativity about our squad you see on here adding French to it for even half a year and we are a different animal Hardaker has nothing on French at full back attack wise.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:08 am Butt monkey we don't actually know the facts behind why Bevan extended, how much he's being paid etc. Other than those involved and what we have been told in the media we can only assume. This is the only reason I don't seem as bothered as some posted. You know the what they say about Assumptions.

The again as the example above shows people memories change to fit their opinions over time.

Tomkins was still offered one of the highest contracts the club has offered (according to the articles). This was on the back of him not showing the form he is doing for Catalan and multiple injuries keeping him out for large chunks of the season. He then spoke to Catalan before he was contractually allowed.

Tomkins looked like he had been knackard by the NRL and I'm glad he hasn't been it's a shame his form is benefitting Catalan and not us.

Back to French it is was it is and its a shame that the club actually standing by a player is being used to attack them because a couple of rumour mongers in Australia have said he's not coming back.

He might not come back if the inevitable doesn't happen before season end and as a person I hope it doesn't the more time you can get to spend with loved ones etc.

As a fan I am frustrated, unless he's deregistered he's taking up cap space but if you take the video release at face value he has activated the extra year as he wants to play and pay back the club.

I don't know about others but with the stream of negativity about our squad you see on here adding French to it for even half a year and we are a different animal Hardaker has nothing on French at full back attack wise.
Tomkins was excellent for us in his last year after his injuries were cleared up
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:35 am
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:08 am Butt monkey we don't actually know the facts behind why Bevan extended, how much he's being paid etc. Other than those involved and what we have been told in the media we can only assume. This is the only reason I don't seem as bothered as some posted. You know the what they say about Assumptions.

Tomkins was excellent for us in his last year after his injuries were cleared up
Yes, on that subject, If we'd paid Sam his marquee money when he was in great form for us, we wouldn't be in the wholesale mess we are now. Defensively he organised that better than any FB in SL and his form in attack we all know about and what won him the SL Man of Steel, Player of the Season award.
And we wouldn't be having this argument over a missing Full Back.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Nezza Faz wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Yes, on that subject, If we'd paid Sam his marquee money when he was in great form for us, we wouldn't be in the wholesale mess we are now. Defensively he organised that better than any FB in SL and his form in attack we all know about and what won him the SL Man of Steel, Player of the Season award.
and kicking goals
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

pedro wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:23 pm

and kicking goals
Yes and how we've suffered in that department, include losing a GF. I'm at a loss to understand how IL failed to keep Sam, while making the most underwhelming signings since ?
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

That isn't true though is it, he had signed for catalan before our offer was even on the table. Sam said the offer made the choice difficult the club where upset Catalan had approached before the where allowed to.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

If IL had paid Sam the upgrade to his contract, he'd have stayed. His departure then led a chorus of club departures to Catalans and they became the go-to club for star signings.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:49 pm

That isn't true though is it, he had signed for catalan before our offer was even on the table. Sam said the offer made the choice difficult the club where upset Catalan had approached before the where allowed to.
we should have had the deal tied up before Catalans were able to approach him, they didnt the club just dragged their feet and approached him too late, im sure Wigan would have reported them otherwise and nothing was said from either party, just sour grapes from wigan and their poor handling of it...again
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

If "ifs" and "buts" were pots and pans, beggars would be tinkers.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

I think we all feel a bit touchy on the subject of Tomkins,clearly the battered state he rocked up from his time in the NRL adding to some daft nonsense with his foot I felt aided the club into not offering him a deal that would have seen his time out at Wigan and I’ll say the same thing as I said at the time from a business perspective it made sense perhaps to either wait or not throw more money at him than had already had been as his return had to that point been underwhelming at best at worst shocking.

But sports like that he suddenly found that form and off he went,that Catalan got him before the due date is meaningless if Wigan had wanted him to stay and give him the deal he wanted would surely have been concluded way before big Bernard arrived with le chequebook.

Truth is it was a total balls up from Wigan not to keep him and one that every time you see him play and organise Catalan that really sticks in the throat,there is a business side to sport but sometimes sport transcend that.