Team for first league game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Team for first league game

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I was just reading an interview with Field in which he mentions that he may be playing full back for us. I don’t want to read too much into that, but it did make me wonder how Hardaker was getting on. Of course, he may play at 1, with Hardaker at 3, which could work out fine.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:29 pm I was just reading an interview with Field in which he mentions that he may be playing full back for us. I don’t want to read too much into that, but it did make me wonder how Hardaker was getting on. Of course, he may play at 1, with Hardaker at 3, which could work out fine.
If that's the case I'd expect hardaker at centre with Thornley and Bibby on the wing.
In the interview with Field, does it mention when he's going to be fit?
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

It suggests Field is fit now.
Big Steve

Post by Big Steve »

I thought it was a good article on Field. Talked about being a new player for the club and impressing, seeing the fans turn up at training in the wet, community work they've been doing. Difficult to know how much was the PR line and how much was his own voice but I think he needs to be treated as a completely fresh start.

It must have been incredibly tough coming over here, new country, season more or less ruined with his first run with the ball. Has major surgery, long term rehab, hasn't had chance to bond with his new team mates, covid restrictions. It must have been a pretty lonely, depressing first year.

Coming back right at the end of the year for a few matches, when not match fit, in a team playing pretty awful rugby, can't have been easy mentally and physically.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Big Steve wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:18 am I thought it was a good article on Field. Talked about being a new player for the club and impressing, seeing the fans turn up at training in the wet, community work they've been doing. Difficult to know how much was the PR line and how much was his own voice but I think he needs to be treated as a completely fresh start.

It must have been incredibly tough coming over here, new country, season more or less ruined with his first run with the ball. Has major surgery, long term rehab, hasn't had chance to bond with his new team mates, covid restrictions. It must have been a pretty lonely, depressing first year.

Coming back right at the end of the year for a few matches, when not match fit, in a team playing pretty awful rugby, can't have been easy mentally and physically.
Where was this article Steve please 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:53 am
Big Steve wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:18 am I thought it was a good article on Field. Talked about being a new player for the club and impressing, seeing the fans turn up at training in the wet, community work they've been doing. Difficult to know how much was the PR line and how much was his own voice but I think he needs to be treated as a completely fresh start.

Where was this article Steve please 😊
It’s okay, I’ve found it 😊
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

So we are to assume Field is fit for the first game then?
Mickw

Post by Mickw »

It's a big worry if he's not fit yet after 10 months .
First Try Tickle

Post by First Try Tickle »

I can see Isa starting at centre. Think Bateman needs to go back second row where he was at his best, and there's no moving Farrell. As for loose its a choice of Shorrocks, Ellis, Partington or Smithies.

and i really wouldn't like to have to choose between Havard and KPP for a final spot.

Hopefully our new pack led by Peet, Wane and Lockers can start to influence games and give the backs some space.
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

I’d have thought both centre and winger would be adequately covered by Sam Halsall who played very well last season under trying circumstances. To cope and put in the defensive performances he did in a team going mostly backwards was one of the few bright spots in a disappointing season. I hope sometime this season he will get a chance to show what he can do going forward.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had