Team for first league game

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Exiled Wiganer

Re: Team for first league game

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I had left out Hardaker, as I thought he wasn’t going to be fit for the first game (and this is a thread about team for first league game). But we can swap Field for Hanley. I didn’t pick Smith, as they have made Leuluai captain, so I assume he will be inked in at 7. Happy to switch any of Smithies/Havard/KPP/Partington/Shorrocks around at 13 and forward sub, as they all seem to me to be much of a muchness.

We play HKR away, and then Leeds in our first 2 games. Both of those beat us more than once last year, and so it will be fascinating to compare the new team with last year’s.
adam0026

Post by adam0026 »

I’d have thought KPP would be in the starting 13?
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

I'd like to see Ron Silva get a run out
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I'd go for

Hardaker
Bibby
Isa
Thornley
Marshall
Cust
Smith (if ready to go, otherwise Tommy).

Singleton
Powell
Mago
Farrell
Bateman
Partington

Ellis
KPP
Harvard
Smithies or Byrne
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’m glad it’s Matty Peet who is picking the team & not anyone off here! 😉
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
keptinthedarkfans

Post by keptinthedarkfans »

adam0026 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:19 pm I’d have thought KPP would be in the starting 13?
Don't think you will be far wrong. He is looking great.
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

The concerning thing is that there are so many differing views, not just based on likes and dislikes but often on whether players are likely to be fit/ready/even here for the upcoming season.
I imagine that most other clubs' supporters, if canvassed, would be likely to have a fair idea on the essential make-up of the first matchday team. That fact that we don't is a bit of a worry. With last season's kicking problem, the hooking quandary and the loose-forward position still open for debate being the main worries, I'm sure we all hope that the coaching staff have a structured plan in place.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

Southern Softy wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 10:46 am The concerning thing is that there are so many differing views, not just based on likes and dislikes but often on whether players are likely to be fit/ready/even here for the upcoming season.
I imagine that most other clubs' supporters, if canvassed, would be likely to have a fair idea on the essential make-up of the first matchday team. That fact that we don't is a bit of a worry. With last season's kicking problem, the hooking quandary and the loose-forward position still open for debate being the main worries, I'm sure we all hope that the coaching staff have a structured plan in place.
Why is it a concern? I believe the only player who will not be available is French. The rest is up to the coach(es) to determine what they believe is the best team to start.
What is the problem with the loose forward position? there are plenty of options available, same with hooker, Powell, O'Neill, Leuluai or Shorrocks.

The fact that we as supporters don't agree which combinations are best is irrelevant.

As for imagining that most supporters have an idea of their starting team for the first game is exactly that, imagination. We're about five weeks away from the first league game, so much can happen between now and then.
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Our squad is much changed and there are many spots up for grabs, which means it’s pretty impossible for us to guess what our 17 will be. I don’t particularly see that as a bad thing for us because if we can’t guess much, it’s not going to be easy for opposition coaching teams to plan how to play against us.

They’ll get an idea from the Wire friendly but you’d imagine we’ll mix things around in that game and you’re not going to have much to go off. We’ve a new coaching team and people won’t know much about the likes of Field, Cust, Ellis and Mago. I appreciate we ourselves could be disjointed due to the changes but it can work both ways.

As for our team I’ve seen a couple of comments about people being surprised some are leaving KPP out. We’ll defo see Isa, Farrell and Bateman in the 17, so I think you’re looking at probably one spot between KPP, Shorrocks and Smithies. It’ll be tight that call for sure but I could see KPP missing out. I certainly don’t yet see him as the nailed on starter some others seem to think he is (he will be soon enough mind but not quite yet).
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:54 pm Our squad is much changed and there are many spots up for grabs, which means it’s pretty impossible for us to guess what our 17 will be. I don’t particularly see that as a bad thing for us because if we can’t guess much, it’s not going to be easy for opposition coaching teams to plan how to play against us.

They’ll get an idea from the Wire friendly but you’d imagine we’ll mix things around in that game and you’re not going to have much to go off. We’ve a new coaching team and people won’t know much about the likes of Field, Cust, Ellis and Mago. I appreciate we ourselves could be disjointed due to the changes but it can work both ways.

As for our team I’ve seen a couple of comments about people being surprised some are leaving KPP out. We’ll defo see Isa, Farrell and Bateman in the 17, so I think you’re looking at probably one spot between KPP, Shorrocks and Smithies. It’ll be tight that call for sure but I could see KPP missing out. I certainly don’t yet see him as the nailed on starter some others seem to think he is (he will be soon enough mind but not quite yet).
I’d have KPP and shorrocks ahead of both smithies and partington