Joe Shorrocks outlines Wigan Warriors aim after encouraging breakthrough year

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Joe Shorrocks outlines Wigan Warriors aim after encouraging breakthrough year

Post by josie andrews »

The young Wigan forward ended the season as Super League's top tackler.

Wigan Warriors loose forward Joe Shorrocks is aiming to build on a year of personal success when the 2022 campaign kicks off next month.

The homegrown star topped the Super League’s tackling charts during the 2021 regular season with a whopping 833, underlining his growing value to the Warriors and supreme work ethic.

A talented all-round sportsman, Shorrocks played football for Preston North End and cricket for Lancashire County Cricket Club during his formative years.

The 22-year-old former Wigan St Pat’s amateur was one of the shining lights for Adrian Lam’s side during an at times difficult campaign.

With Lam now departed and Matty Peet having been promoted to the top job head coach, Shorrocks is ready to shine again.

“Personally I was made up with how many games I played and how involved I was in the team last year,” Shorrocks, who was an ever-present with 28 appearances last season, told Rugby League Live.

“I didn’t think I would play half of the games, let alone all of them, so overall I was delighted with my performances last year and what I achieved.

“Having someone like Sean O’Loughlin to learn from, first as a team-mate and now as my coach, has been fantastic for me.

I get little tips from him about what he would have done in certain situations, so that really helps me as well.

“He’s been a really good mentor for me in my position, he really has.

“I’ll play where I need to this season but I’d like to nail down the loose forward spot.

“My main aim is just to play as many games as possible and hopefully start a few more games.

“As a Wigan lad, I know a lot of lads would love to be doing what I’m doing by playing for this great club.

“It’s massive for me and my family because when I pull on the jersey, I’m not just representing myself and the club but my family too.

“My work-rate and fitness levels are my greatest strength and something which I think sets me apart from other players.”

There has been a seismic overhaul of the coaching department at the DW Stadium during the winter, with Lee Briers arriving from Warrington and Shaun Wane returning in a part-time role.

Shorrocks said: “Shaun hasn’t really spoken a lot about the rugby side of things during pre-season.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... r-22760147
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan