Title challenge

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: Title challenge

Post by Caboosegg »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm
Caboosegg wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:22 pm "The 3/4 line minus French at the start of the season is potentially Miski, Bibby, Thornley, Marshall and that’s just weak."

Is a good Job you don't recruit and pick the teams isn't it. That is nowhere near as bad as your making out. Could do be better yes but bad no.

not one post I have seen has said Thornley is better than gildart only that how he will go is unknown. But then again his main detractor added a year to his age and then tried to point out no other superleague team would have him while he was playing for a SL team which he had moved to from another SL team.

Stats don't tell you everything but they also show he is not as bad as made put by some.
I did not say people were saying "Thornley is better than gildart" but that people are justifying the signing of Thornley because Gildart had been injured then had a poor season. Medlock has just gone and done it again. It's not a sensible argument. Gildart left and just because he had a poor season does not justify signing a replacement player like Thornley.

As to that backline not being as bad as I make out, what are you justifying that on? Whatever Thornely's statistics say he's a poor player and past it. Bibby is just not a centre. I think defensively this pair will be a potential liability. Bibby is prone to shoot out of the line and Thornley never could do a good defensive stint. The only player in the back line who would be of interest to another top SL side is Marshall and that says a lot.
What are you making your opinion on?
Thornley 10 years ago? I really don't want to keep banging on about it as my opinion is it could go either way but his stats don't say he's past it and without watching every game he's played how can you identify he is.

I trust the people at the club who made the signing did their due diligence and while yes we have had some stinker of signing we have also had so brilliant finds/Catches.

I really don't agree with you on Bibby though, his.positioning is fine in general and with the player on that side that shoots out of the line being Isa

There a common trend though, both are probably considered bargin bucket buys so no matter how well they do or don't do some will judge them by the team they came from not how they play for us.

From the Newcastle match I think Thornley will be a good buy covering a couple of years allowing Halsall to develop and cement a spot.

Thornley:
26 tries In 48 games with leigh with only 6 of those games being in the championship

Better strike rate than our centres ;)
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:37 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:36 pm
DaveO wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:10 pm

I did not say people were saying "Thornley is better than gildart" but that people are justifying the signing of Thornley because Gildart had been injured then had a poor season. Medlock has just gone and done it again. It's not a sensible argument. Gildart left and just because he had a poor season does not justify signing a replacement player like Thornley.

As to that backline not being as bad as I make out, what are you justifying that on? Whatever Thornely's statistics say he's a poor player and past it. Bibby is just not a centre. I think defensively this pair will be a potential liability. Bibby is prone to shoot out of the line and Thornley never could do a good defensive stint. The only player in the back line who would be of interest to another top SL side is Marshall and that says a lot.
But it wasn't just one season was it Dave, He has become an injury liability over the last several seasons, fans seem to be rating Gildart by a few good seasons he had several years ago, much like they did with Joel Tomkins and the miraculous Challenge Cup try
Gildart and his form has got nothing to do with signing Thornley. It's dead simple. If we needed a new centre, which we did, we should not be signing players like Thornley.
But it's a salary capped sport Dave, I would rather have him than have nobody
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:09 pm
medlocke wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:36 pm
But it wasn't just one season was it Dave, He has become an injury liability over the last several seasons, fans seem to be rating Gildart by a few good seasons he had several years ago, much like they did with Joel Tomkins and the miraculous Challenge Cup try
Gildart and his form has got nothing to do with signing Thornley. It's dead simple. If we needed a new centre, which we did, we should not be signing players like Thornley.
Leigh fans are glad they are shut, after watching his defence I can agree with them
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

pedro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:28 pm

Leigh fans are glad they are shut, after watching his defence I can agree with them
Funny how that happens quite often, A player leaves and fans talk crap about him, when he is there they don't say boo to a goose, If he stays injury free then that is an improvement over one of the most overrated players at Wigan since Lockers
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

I would play halsall and hardaker at centre and Bibby and Marshall on the wings with field at fullback for the time being
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Suzieb wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:16 pm I would play halsall and hardaker at centre and Bibby and Marshall on the wings with field at fullback for the time being
Halsall certainly put a good case forward yesterday. He looks to have put some size on in the off season and was very strong with the ball. I like the fact when a high ball goes near him I’m totally relaxed and expect him to pluck it out of the air with little fuss. He looks to have a decent set of hands on him as well.

He never really stood out for me at academy level (although I can’t say I’d watched him dozens of times) but he’s had a very good start to his first team career.
pedro

Post by pedro »

medlocke wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:56 pm

Funny how that happens quite often, A player leaves and fans talk crap about him, when he is there they don't say boo to a goose, If he stays injury free then that is an improvement over one of the most overrated players at Wigan since Lockers
they wanted him gone when he was at Leigh, soo...
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:43 pm

Leigh fans also think Lam is their saviour so :lol:
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am
none do to be fair....soooo
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

pedro wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:35 am
Caboosegg wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:01 am

none do to be fair....soooo
They do though I speak to a fair few and the majority (of the ones I speak to that is,) are happy

Also

https://forums.rlfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=636437
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.