Peet previews Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Warrington

Post by josie andrews »

Head Coach previews Saturday’s pre-season game against Warrington.

Peet: “This is the next stage of our preparation.”

Warrington Wolves v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 29th January, 5:30pm K.O.

Matt Peet lauded the career of Stefan Ratchford ahead of his testimonial game against the Warriors on Saturday evening.

“I’m a big fan of Stefan’s, I always have been,” Peet said. “I think when you see a Wigan lad doing well in Super League you’re always proud and you always take a keen eye on their career. I’ve seen him play for St Cuthbert’s, St Pats and then at Salford where I was coaching the reserves.

“I think the way he has played for Warrington over the years, in a range of positions, he’s clearly developed into a leader there and wherever he has played he’s acquitted himself really well. I think he combines really high skill levels, game sense with a constant competitive edge. It’s a pleasure to be a part of his testimonial game, and I’d like to wish the opportunity to wish Stefan all the best.”

The Warriors boss is fully focused on the task at hand however, expecting big things of his side this weekend: “This is the next stage of our preparation. Some more senior players will start strong but I’m expecting that when we make changes that we maintain standards and that everyone comes on and makes an impact. There’s no shirts being given out, out of sentimentality, everyone is there to do a job, to impress and put their hand up to play when the opportunity presents itself.”

He added: “I think it’s a perfect test in that it’ll be a quick game, there’s some physical ball carriers, you know that they have got skill across the park and you know that with the new Coaching staff they are going to play an open and exciting style of rugby.”

Asked if getting a win was on the mind, Peet said: “It builds good habits to get the win, but it’s far from the main focus. We want a good performance; individuals have to get back into the routine of preparation, blowing away the cobwebs. We can build some combinations, but the result is certainly secondary to that. You’re right in what you say, we want to get used to winning so it would be nice.”

Peet confirmed that there were no new injury concerns following the victory over Newcastle, and gave an update on Zak Hardaker and Ethan Havard: “Zak is back running, training with the team – he’s been bibbed up so he’s been on no contact at the moment but he’s going to start building his contact up in the next few days. We look to get him in full training at the back end of next week so we’re still hopeful that he will be available for Round 1.

“Ethan is building up after his operation, he’s feeling great. He’s been training really hard but it’s about doing the right things at the right time for him for the moment.”

Join the Warriors back at the DW Stadium for the first time in 2022 as we take on Leeds Rhinos in Round 2 for a War of the Roses match on Friday 18th February (8pm K.O.). Tickets for the fixture are available to buy now by clicking HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/01/ ... arrington/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan