Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
morley pie eater

Re: Field

Post by morley pie eater »

Like most people, I've been very impressed with Field on attack.

Didn't see last night's game as we were caught in a queue at Leeds-Bradford airport and our taxi cleared off. But I note how many have said our defence was poor.

Where does Field fit in in terms of organising our defensive line? We see the top full backs (like Tomkins) assessing the opposition attack and directing their defenders. I don't see this from Field so much.

Is this a problem for us? I'm genuinely interested to know people's opinions.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:05 am Like most people, I've been very impressed with Field on attack.

Didn't see last night's game as we were caught in a queue at Leeds-Bradford airport and our taxi cleared off. But I note how many have said our defence was poor.

Where does Field fit in in terms of organising our defensive line? We see the top full backs (like Tomkins) assessing the opposition attack and directing their defenders. I don't see this from Field so much.

Is this a problem for us? I'm genuinely interested to know people's opinions.
Field was good overall in defence. His speed means that he was good at stopping cas players when they broke the line. In that area he must be ranking high in SL, his goal line defence isn't the best he's to light weight still to wrestle a player back
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

I get that his defending is reasonable. My query is whether he's able to read the opposition and organise our defence accordingly, like the best full backs can do.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:11 pm I get that his defending is reasonable. My query is whether he's able to read the opposition and organise our defence accordingly, like the best full backs can do.
He’s an outstanding rugby player in all respects, we need to engage his services beyond this season.
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

If I recall correctly, their breaks came through a defensive line that should have stopped them, and so had nothing to do with Field’s organisation of the line.
Dan2266

Post by Dan2266 »

I think our biggest threat of losing Field will be marquee money at another Super League club.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Dan2266 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:46 am I think our biggest threat of losing Field will be marquee money at another Super League club.
You are probably right Dan but there is nothing stopping us making him a marquee player.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Give him a 4 year Marque contract asap
Nezza Faz

Post by Nezza Faz »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:26 am If I recall correctly, their breaks came through a defensive line that should have stopped them, and so had nothing to do with Field’s organisation of the line.
Yes, and Cas tries came within moments of Leuluai going off, the D was never as sound in his absence and looked likely to break open on every attack. You certainly can't blame it on Field, just because he's the FB.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:02 pm
Dan2266 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:46 am I think our biggest threat of losing Field will be marquee money at another Super League club.
You are probably right Dan but there is nothing stopping us making him a marquee player.
There is if current contracts and the salary cap mean we can’t…

Whilst the club can choose its marquee players and in theory you can have more than two players on marquee level salary, it doesn’t necessarily mean you can either afford it or fit it under the cap.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."