Field

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
nathan_rugby

Field

Post by nathan_rugby »

Based on his performances this year, is he a better fullback overall then French?
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
nathan_rugby

Re: Field

Post by nathan_rugby »

I think it’s a yes tbh.

The kick returns are better, line breaks better, passing is better.

His one on one defending is great, he’s reasonably ok under the high ball.

Now don’t get me wrong, French has been unreal and a pleasure to watch. This post was an honest question.
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

Yes, now get him tied down to a long term contract :D
Wigan_forever1985

Post by Wigan_forever1985 »

Yep I’d say he’s better atm
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

medlocke wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 pm Yes, now get him tied down to a long term contract :D
I’ve said it before, but on Hastings podcast just when Field got injured last year he said he’s on a 2 year deal and intends to return once that is up.

Fingers crossed things change and he is settled, enjoying his rugby and ambitious to win things in super league.

There’s probably a lot of players in this team earning a lot more than him who aren’t close to delivering what he is.
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Wigan_forever1985 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:48 pm Yep I’d say he’s better atm
Agreed
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Outstanding. Without him we do not win tonight.
moto748

Post by moto748 »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:51 pm
medlocke wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 pm Yes, now get him tied down to a long term contract :D
I’ve said it before, but on Hastings podcast just when Field got injured last year he said he’s on a 2 year deal and intends to return once that is up.

Fingers crossed things change and he is settled, enjoying his rugby and ambitious to win things in super league.

There’s probably a lot of players in this team earning a lot more than him who aren’t close to delivering what he is.
I think that's it. For players like Field (and French, maybe), isn't it a choice between being being a squad player in the NRL, getting the odd game, maybe, or the chance of getting silverware in the UK? Which, in turn obviously depends on how settled they are here.
CherryB

Post by CherryB »

nathan_rugby wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:51 pm

Minor flaw in your plan. If he’s ambitious to win things in super league, he’s at the wrong club. There is no prospect of any silverware here for the foreseeable future.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

For me, the big advantage is, it gives us options throughout the backline!

French V Field at fullback, both on top form, is a very tough call! What outweighs Field over French for me is his defensive capability, especially when wingers brake free and Field lines them up!

Zak Hardaker doesn't work at all! It would be a bit like playing Gary Connolly on the wing! I'm presuming for now, Field will remain at fullback and id like to see French on the wing.

I'd like to see how Cust and Field combine in the halves at some point, French isn't a standoff, so overall, we have options for our backline!