What do we do on Thursday?

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Caboosegg

Re: What do we do on Thursday?

Post by Caboosegg »

French to fullback - Rest Field
Partington in - rest a prop Ellis or Harvard
Miski in on French's wing
Halsall in for utility to Rest who needs it
Maybe isa in and Rest either Bateman or Farrell.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

I think we need to go full strength unless Fields is unwell. It will give us a good look at our squad against a full strength Huddersfield team I imagine they will go full strength. Last time we played them the game was close and they had a few players out I seem to remember. I’d like to think however we have progressed since that Huddersfield game.
KR15

Post by KR15 »

I'm a fan of utilising the squad, but it's hard to know when to do it and which players to rotate. I'd go with resting players if there are any who have any niggles or fatigue.

The game the week before against Hull is more concerning as they're a big side. I don't think the game on thursday will bear any resemblance to the CC final for both teams. Form goes completely out of the window.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

KR15 wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:55 pm I'm a fan of utilising the squad, but it's hard to know when to do it and which players to rotate. I'd go with resting players if there are any who have any niggles or fatigue.

The game the week before against Hull is more concerning as they're a big side. I don't think the game on thursday will bear any resemblance to the CC final for both teams. Form goes completely out of the window.
That will be a big bugger of a game!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

How about...

French - Miski - Bibby - Thornley - Halsall
Shorrocks ?? Smith
Partington O’Neill Ellis McDonnell Nicholson Isa
Isa Mago Havard Sutton

And give Mago a week off the following week? Players like French, Thornley and Havard have of course missed a lot of games, so may be fresher?

Tottenham may be by far our best chance of winning a competition, so cotton wool all round till then.
Fizz Bomb

Post by Fizz Bomb »

What worries me about the Hull game is the knack that both Connor and Gale have for getting under people’s skin. If we get the wrong ref who knows who will be available for the final.
We have the history Sentelins wish they had
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Fizz Bomb wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 7:07 pm What worries me about the Hull game is the knack that both Connor and Gale have for getting under people’s skin. If we get the wrong ref who knows who will be available for the final.
True. Our patience, control, conduct & performance for the next two games will be paramount for the Final.
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

It’s a tough question to answer when you weigh up a few factors. It’s a short turnaround, so you want players fresh and firing but you also want to keep momentum. The fact it’s Huddersfield confuses matters further, as you probably do want to hold a bit back.

I think I’d be tempted to rest Field tbh. It gives French a go at fullback and I’d then give Halsall a shot on the wing. Other than that though I’d go pretty much full strength with maybe just a couple of rests for guys like Byrne and Smithies, who have both done plenty of minutes.

Something like-

French
Halsall Thornley Bibby Marshall
Cust Smith
Singleton O’Neill Ellis
Bateman Farrell Partington

Subs
Mago Havard Isa (if fit) Shorrocks
moto748

Post by moto748 »

We need a strong side, can't rest too many. Could we wrap Marshall in cotton-wool and play Miski?

McGillvary is a large human. He had Ryan Hall in his back pocket in the semi.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

I'd look to rest Field for French and try Halsall at centre with Miski on the wing.