Peet previews Hull FC

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Hull FC

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet offered his pre-match thoughts as Wigan prepare to face Hull FC on Saturday afternoon.

Peet: “It’s absolutely game on, for any neutrals I think it’ll be a great game.”

Hull FC v Wigan Warriors, Saturday 21st May, 3pm K.O.

Matt Peet says this week’s fixture is the ‘perfect opportunity’ to respond following last week’d defeat on the road at Huddersfield Giants.

“We came in the day after the game, players were really honest about the performance and we were back in at the start of the week to focus on the next game. Looking back on Huddersfield, everyone was disappointed, particularly the way we started the game, lack of physicality was the main thing.

“We were disappointed but as far as this week, as far as turnaround we’ve been able to get some work done. It’s the first time in a while, coming off the back of that congested period and it’s felt like we’ve had some decent time on the field this week. Time to work in the gym and it’s felt like we’ve had time to Coach this week, the lads have been great on the field – there’s been an intensity about sessions, which you would expect going into a big game against Hull.”

He added: “It was disappointing but we understand that that is the journey of the season, we learn quickly and this week’s challenge is the perfect opportunity.”

On this week’s opposition, Peet was full of praise: “It’s a fantastic squad they’ve brought together, a good blend of size, skill and flair. They score fantastic tries and they’re good to watch, you can see what Brett is trying to instil there. They have a good blend of structure and off-the-cuff play with Jake, there’s plenty of threats but ultimately it’s judging ourselves on our own standards, expectations of one another and quite simply you can have the best preparation or game plan but as we found out last week, if you don’t turn up ready to go then it’s irrelevant.”

Wigan have a good record away at Hull, with the home side having not won against the Warriors since 2017. Speaking on the record, Peet said: “That stat surprised me a little bit because it’s such a tough place to go and you always know you’re in for a game. It’s a quality squad and it all stacks up for a big challenge, but those records don’t mean anything.

“I’d take a win, a performance. I’m just trying to think about things that we didn’t do right that night as well, Hull will be coming into the game confident because it was so close at our ground and they’ll be up for it at home and rightly so. It’s absolutely game on, for any neutrals I think it’ll be a great game.”

Finally, Peet paid tribute to former Chairman Maurice Lindsay who passed away earlier this week: “Firstly, it was very sad to hear the news, everyone was shocked and we have full sympathy with his family. I think he’s attached with one of the golden eras of the Club, he’s seen as a pioneer and a leader through that period. Someone who was brave enough to drive standards, not just in Wigan but in the sport. He took the Club and the sport to places it hadn’t been before. He made tough decisions, he had a vision and he dragged and drove and organisation, but he seemed to do it with a smile on his face, with a sense of humour.”

Hear more from Head Coach Matt Peet ahead of Saturday’s fixture – the full interview is available to watch on Wigan TV HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/05/ ... hull-fc-2/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan