Offiah: Earned the right

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Offiah: Earned the right

Post by josie andrews »

Martin Offiah MBE spoke to wiganwarriors.com ahead of the Betfred Challenge Cup Final.

Offiah: “It’s a great opportunity, it’s another chance to make history and it just feels like it’s a moment in time.”

Watch our 150th year film which celebrates our great history, narrated by Martin Offiah, HERE.

Martin Offiah MBE gave his thoughts on the upcoming Challenge Cup Final as he said Wigan have ‘earned the right’ to be competing for the trophy again in 2022.

“Life is about opportunities, you get opportunities and you make the most of them, or you don’t, it’s as simple as that,” he said.

“It’s a great opportunity, it’s another chance to make history and it just feels like it’s a moment in time. Maurice was a great man and for him to pass at this time, for Wigan to come through what they came through. I was literally on the edge of my seat watching that Semi Final against St Helens and Matt (Peet) talks about earning stuff – they’ve earned the right to get to that final which is an opportunity.”

Speaking on his thoughts of the venue switch from Wembley to Tottenham Hotspur this year, Offiah said: “Well, I don’t get to see my statue – so there’s going to be a bit of a detour,” he said in jest. “Let’s be grateful, we’ve got fans back, it was only a couple of years ago I felt really sorry for players. For me it was all about that emotion, that link with the fans and wherever there was going to be fans, that’s where you wanted to be and hopefully there is a lot of Wigan fans there, Huddersfield fans there and it’s a packed stadium – that is the most important thing.”

Offiah was part of the Wigan side who won multiple Challenge Cup trophies in succession. Reflecting on those years, he explained it wasn’t always plain sailing: “I’m thankful for Maurice for paying the amount of money he did to get me to Wigan, to give me that opportunity. In 1993, there was certain people in the crowd who were saying I was a waste of money when Jason Robinson and Inga Tuigamala were there.

“I came back from a dislocated shoulder and things were going tough for me but Shaun Edwards got me through that time and then I had an opportunity. I stepped out onto the field that day and nothing is a given, just because you have great success and history – that had to be earned.”

Finalising, Offiah added: “I’m looking forward to being at Tottenham, the chips will fall where they fall but it’s an honour to have an opportunity, that’s all we ask for in life is an opportunity and Wigan have got one. Let’s hope Wigan do get that win, because it’s fitting but because it’s fitting doesn’t mean it’s going to happen – you have to earn it.”

Tickets for the Challenge Cup Final are still available to buy in-store at our Robin Park Arena store or online. For all the information including ticket prices, travel, hospitality and how to buy – click HERE.

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/05/ ... the-right/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan