O’Neill: Growing in confidence

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

O’Neill: Growing in confidence

Post by josie andrews »

Brad O’Neill vowed to continue working hard as he aims for a spot in the squad to travel to Tottenham this weekend.

O’Neill: “My confidence is growing and I think I’m finding my feet every time I step on the pitch.”

Hear more from Brad O’Neill as he spoke to Wigan TV. Watch HERE.

Brad O’Neill spoke about his progression this season as he prepares for a potential Challenge Cup Final debut.

“It’s pretty crazy,” O’Neill said, “the fact that hopefully I could be playing in a Challenge Cup final this week, it’s something that you dream about as a kid and I can’t wait.

“I am growing in confidence, especially starting and getting the big minutes that I am at the moment week-in, week-out. I’ve been doing 60+ minutes which is a lot of minutes for me coming into Super League, the speed is a lot greater than Reserves and Championship but I am growing in confidence and hopefully I continue to build and learn the more that I play.”

O’Neill’s opportunity came in the absence of Sam Powell who has been serving a six-match suspension following the Good Friday derby. On Powell’s influence on his progression, O’Neill said: “Pow has been fantastic with me, on the field with learning and off the field with the baby life. Pow is a credit to himself and the Club with the way he’s been, he’s always had a smile on his face and he trains hard. He’s been a bit of a player-coach to everyone, he wants us all to get better, he’s not sulking and he’s just getting on with it. He’s a bit of a personal coach for me and it’s been great.”

Reflecting on the week ahead, the hooker added: “I’ve been to Challenge Cup finals watching Wigan when I was a kid and we’ve won some and we’ve lost some. It’s always been a dream of mine to play in a Challenge Cup Final one day for Wigan, so the fact it’s coming in the next few days is pretty special, I can only work hard, keep learning and building towards that.”

O’Neill became a father just a few days before the semi final win over St Helens, he is looking forward to having his family with him in London: “My partner Alice and my daughter Arabella are going to travel down and be at the final which is going to be pretty special. It’s going to be a really good day and we’re all really excited.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/05/ ... onfidence/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Exiled Wiganer

Re: O’Neill: Growing in confidence

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

He has been superb and was a central player in our best performance for a number of years. Great to see him sep up.