Peet previews Challenge Cup Final

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Peet previews Challenge Cup Final

Post by josie andrews »

Matt Peet addressed the press at the Lowry Theatre in Manchester ahead of Saturday’s Betfred Challenge Cup Final.

Peet: “We’re very proud and it was a goal at the start of the year to take the town to one of the big games.”

Tickets for the final remain on sale, don’t miss your chance to be there! Find out all the ticket information HERE.

Matt Peet said his side need to ‘take the opportunity’ as they put in their final preparations before heading to London to face Huddersfield Giants in the Betfred Challenge Cup Final on Saturday afternoon.

“After the semi final it was a real high, a really proud moment and I felt like we’d achieved a big step, particularly winning in the way that we did. Since then, you know that it’s only going to be a good weekend if you get a quality result and performance. All attention turns to that now, we’re very proud and it was a goal at the start of the year to take the town to one of the big games.

“We’ve got to take that opportunity and play the game with no regrets. It was great to win a semi final, but it’ll be awful if we lose a final.”

He added: “I’ve seen some flags this morning in windows, schools are arranging Cherry & White days and we’ve had hundreds of kids at the training ground this week, that’s the stuff that excites me. For us to inspire the next generation, but we need to win to ensure everyone has a good time and falls in love with it.”

On the game itself, Peet was quizzed on what his team needs to do to come away with the win: “We’ve got a good set of professionals and it’s only really important at the end isn’t it, as far as those 80-minutes go it’s about executing the best that you can. It’s about thinking clearly under pressure, making smart decisions and enjoying the week but knowing when you’re on you’ve got to be present and in the moment.”

On the opposition, he said: “One thing about Huddersfield is regardless of who they have in they’re very well organised. They know their systems really well, everyone buys into it, they work hard so it’s not a week where individuals matter and I think that is a big compliment to Ian (Watson) and his team.”

Ahead of the Final, Peet reflected on his own personal memories of the occasion from his childhood: “I was there when Offiah scored that try. It feels like it was always red hot, even though it probably wasn’t and it felt like you were never going to lose, it never entered your head that you would lose. It was getting up for the Coach really early, singing all the way home and so much fun. That’s what motivates me, because I remember what a good time I and we had as family and friends. I love the idea of them all having a good weekend.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/05/ ... cup-final/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Re: Peet previews Challenge Cup Final

Post by josie andrews »

Matty Peet wants his players to come away with 'no regrets' from the Challenge Cup final

Matty Peet says it is crucial for Wigan Warriors “embrace” everything that comes with the Challenge Cup final this week.

His side face Huddersfield Giants at the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium on Saturday afternoon (K.O. 3pm).

Peet states it’s important they come away from the game with no regrets and replicate the quality they showed in the semi-final victory over St Helens at Elland Road.

He said: “It’s now about embracing the week, getting the balance right between being on and off. When you’re on, you’ve got to be in the moment and not too tense.

After the semi-final, it was a real high and a proud moment. I felt like we had achieved a big step to win the way we did, but we know this will only be a quality weekend if we get the result and the performance.

“We want to play the game with no regrets, because one thing about Huddersfield is, no matter who they have got in they are very well organised who know their systems really well, and buy into it.

“We want to embrace the expectation, and you’re at the wrong club if you don’t want to. We’ve got a good set of professionals. For those 80 minutes it’s about executing the best we can and thinking clearly under pressure, making smart decisions.

“We need to be meticulous in our preparation, as we would for any round, but we do have to navigate the week being a bit different. The mindset and the discussion around the psychology of it is really important.

Our job is to instil the connection between our homegrown lads and the oversea lads, our young lads and our old lads, and our fans and our players. What we’ve got is a really good core group of leaders.

“For people who don’t know about our culture, we take time to educate them, while learning about their background as well.

“It was a goal at the start of the year to take the town to one of the big games. I’ve seen a few flags in windows and a few schools arranging cherry and white days so that’s the stuff that excites me, because we are inspiring the next generation.”

Peet took time to praise the players who will not be involved in the final on Saturday, and stated their good work behind the scenes is equally as important as those on the field.

“When you’ve got some tough decisions to make, at least you know you’ve got a strong squad,” he added.

“There’s people who we care about and work really hard but are going to miss out. Looking at the last six weeks, the behaviour of (Thomas) Leuluai and (Sam) Powell has been a great example to anyone of putting the team first and being a leader.

“They’ve been helping our young players in the group and helping the coaches, so I can’t praise them enough.

“For this final, we are all in it together. Some lads won’t get a jersey at the weekend, but they are equally as important as the lads who do.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... al-3708774
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan