Powell pens new deal

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Powell pens new deal

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors are delighted to announce that Sam Powell has signed a new two-year deal with the Club.

The hooker’s new contract means he will stay at Wigan at least until the end of 2024.

Joining the Club’s Academy from Wigan St Patricks ARLFC at the age of 16, Powell has gone on to become one of Wigan’s hardcore players in the middle of the field and a key figure in the player’s Leadership Team.

Since his debut in 2012, Powell has made 243 appearances for his hometown Club, scoring 39 tries. So far in 2022, he has played 13 games, scoring two tries.

The 29-year-old has also had numerous trophy success, including one World Club Challenge, two Super League Grand Finals and two League Leaders’ Shields. He is now looking to add to his collection in the coming years.

On his new deal, Powell said: “I’m honoured and delighted to be staying at this great Club for at least another two years. The Club has been everything to me and my family and I couldn’t imagine playing anywhere else.”

Executive Director, Kris Radlinski, said: “Sam is a strong leader at the Club. He is a cultural architect who demands high standards every day. He has tremendous humility and even though he never played in the Cup Final, his presence on the training field and around the team that week was pivotal to our success. He possesses the DNA that we would want every Wigan Warriors player to have.”

Head Coach, Matt Peet, added: “Sam guides the team on and off the field and has the competitive spirit that every great Wigan player has. Sam is determined to make his next few years his best ones and we would expect nothing less from him.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/06/ ... -new-deal/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Re: Powell pens new deal

Post by fozzieskem »

Good news for my money by clearly highly thought of by the club I'm sure every poster on here will be overjoyed with the news :twisted:
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

.Hes the very definition of a poor modern day hooker. He has no pace and is a poor passer of the ball. All you have to do is watch him to see this.

At least it’s only two years but even so, this shows the club still isn’t ruthless enough in its pursuit of building a team that can dominate. Should not have renewed his contract and should have gone looking for someone better.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

At least two years :(

Hopefully O'Neil will still be around then...
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Don’t tell Meds!
Barney841

Post by Barney841 »

Can see O’Neil moving on now
medlocke

Post by medlocke »

What a pile of old shite, Jobs for the boys is still alive and well, so much for Peet's new culture, none if it will change until Lenners and his yes man is gone, Ambition my arse, If I was Brad O'Neill I would be looking for a first team place elsewhere, complete an utter shit as piss :evil:
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Barney841 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:32 pm Can see O’Neil moving on now
Why?
medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:56 pm What a pile of old shite, Jobs for the boys is still alive and well, so much for Peet's new culture, none if it will change until Lenners and his yes man is gone, Ambition my arse, If I was Brad O'Neill I would be looking for a first team place elsewhere, complete an utter shit as piss :evil:
Just because you & some others don’t like Powell or the way he plays doesn’t mean he is a bad player. The club must appreciate his contribution to the team to extend his stay here.

When I posted this piece of news I nearly replied immediately “Cue the Powell haters”!

Then I thought should I lock it straight away? Then I thought no leave it as it is for all the same Powell Haters to spout their vitriol & get it off their chests 😂😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

josie andrews wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:26 pm
Barney841 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:32 pm Can see O’Neil moving on now
Why?
medlocke wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:56 pm What a pile of old shite, Jobs for the boys is still alive and well, so much for Peet's new culture, none if it will change until Lenners and his yes man is gone, Ambition my arse, If I was Brad O'Neill I would be looking for a first team place elsewhere, complete an utter shit as piss :evil:
Just because you & some others don’t like Powell or the way he plays doesn’t mean he is a bad player. The club must appreciate his contribution to the team to extend his stay here.

When I posted this piece of news I nearly replied immediately “Cue the Powell haters”!

Then I thought should I lock it straight away? Then I thought no leave it as it is for all the same Powell Haters to spout their vitriol & get it off their chests 😂😂
Well done and well said, Josie. 👋👋👋

What I truly find amazing about the small group of Powell bashers, is they never seem to stop and wonder why so many players, ex-players, coaches and fans rate Sam. Resorting to "Wane's love-child" and "jobs for the boys" to disguise their inability to explain.

Take this for you example:

Hes the very definition of a poor modern day hooker. He has no pace and is a poor passer of the ball. All you have to do is watch him to see this.
If it was so obvious, how come Wane, Peet, Lockers, Rads, Leneghan, and a majority of fans can't see it? 🥱🥱🥱
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Shaun Wane Legend

Post by Shaun Wane Legend »

Great news!!