Bill Ashurst

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Bill Ashurst

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Big Steve wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:34 pm
Stanfax wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:15 pm
MrAlex wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:01 pm I'm trying to find that bizarre match when he came off the bench for Runcorn Highfield, whalloped Joe Lydon and got sent straight off....anyone remember that?
He headbutted Andy Goodway didn't he?
Ha ! I remember that!

He must have been into his 40's when he played in that game - only time i ever saw him on the field - and it wasn't for long ! Runcorn were down on numbers for some reason - was there a player strike over wages or something - so he stepped up and played which must have taken some guts considering how good Wigan were at the time.

Obviously knew he wasn't going to be able to play many minutes !!
The players went on strike.
pedro

Post by pedro »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:29 pm
Big Steve wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:34 pm
Stanfax wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:15 pm
He headbutted Andy Goodway didn't he?
Ha ! I remember that!

He must have been into his 40's when he played in that game - only time i ever saw him on the field - and it wasn't for long ! Runcorn were down on numbers for some reason - was there a player strike over wages or something - so he stepped up and played which must have taken some guts considering how good Wigan were at the time.

Obviously knew he wasn't going to be able to play many minutes !!
The players went on strike.
yeah thats why Bill left them in the end as they couldnt pay him too
moto748

Post by moto748 »

It did strike me that although there was a very nice obituary piece in the Sydney Morning Herald, despite the fact that Bill was only in Australia for a relatively short time, I saw no obits in the UK national press at all (I may have missed some, of course).
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

moto748 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:36 am It did strike me that although there was a very nice obituary piece in the Sydney Morning Herald, despite the fact that Bill was only in Australia for a relatively short time, I saw no obits in the UK national press at all (I may have missed some, of course).
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co ... 810895.amp

I think the Guardian may have had something too, but not sure.
. . . . . . ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Talented player, very good kicker.

IIRC, he dropped out from under the posts and it went out on the oppositions 25?