This Evenings Match

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Wigan1

Re: This Evenings Match

Post by Wigan1 »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 pm
Wigan1 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:24 am

Their try came from a missed Powell tackle. He fell off a one on one, and instantly blamed Bibby.
Shorrocks trying to swing the dummy half round after the ball had gone rather then following the ball was a bigger issue. After the ball had been passed, Shorrocks should have followed the ball and Bibby shouldn’t have shot the line. Shorrocks was covering his left from marker, the way the ball went, Powell would have covered the right, to say he missed a one on one tackle is completely out of context to suit your agenda.
I see - it’s an agenda is it. You think I can alter reality now? He was in a position to make a tackle and he fell off it. I am not making it up, that is actually what happened - it’s clear as day. Lots of things could have been done differently before he found himself in that position, but he still ended up there. Happy to blame a collective breakdown but I can’t see how anyone could actually watch it and conclude that he didn’t fall off the tackle and then instantly call out Bibby. They’re just facts, there is no opinion involved.

I really don’t want to labour the point, but I have played hundreds of games and attempted thousands of tackles over the years, and know a missed tackle when I see one. (Oh, and I didn’t introduce the topic and wouldn’t have mentioned it save that someone went out of the way to blame Bibby for it. Perhaps they have an anti Bibby agenda?)

In the scheme of things, it’s the single cloud in a blue sky, as it was a good overall performance. I am hugely enjoying this season, and have been happily astonished by how much Peet has got out of this group of players: which is the most we can ever ask of a coach.
But it was Bibbys fault, he shot the line and missed the player he should have been marking. As you say, it was as clear as day. Surely you can see why Powell would blame Bibby, because Bibby made a poor defensive read. To suggest otherwise is ludicrous. Once a player shoots out the line it stretches the rest of the defensive line. You went out your way to blame Powell after someone had correctly pointed out what happened.

I think you are the only person I have heard who thinks that it was Powells fault, everyone sat round us saw Bibbys poor defensive read, something he does quite often.
doc

Post by doc »

Shorrocks and Powell were marking with Marshall and Bibby defending the blind side. the player that scored was lined up vs Bibby. The ball was played and Shorrocks went blind to cover the dummy half and Powell went open. Shorrocks got tangled up with the dummy half and Bibby shot the line leaving a large gap for the attacker to get through. In all honesty Powell did well to readjust an to lay a hand on him.

The amount of tries Bibby costs us by shooting the line (and Isa to some extent) is our biggest defensive flaw. Sure, it looks good when you put a big hit on some one and snuff out the attack but when it doesn't come off you are dropping your team mates in it.
DaveO

Post by DaveO »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:21 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:46 am
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:13 am

I agree with your comments but I thought O’Neill made some bad decisions. Powell’s distribution was far better.
You watch. different game to me. Powell’s distribution is poor and it was no better tonight. How many breaks did he make tonight? My guess would be zero. Against a very poor side.
I never said you did mention breaks. But then why would you when he rarely makes any? I asked a pointed question to point this out.

As to distribution Powell’s is poor. It’s slow and his passes are often not accurate. When he is at AHB the defence know exactly what he will do which is pass the ball. Slowly.

I am not suggesting for one minute O’Neil is the answer but it stood out like a sore thumb that he was out of the two of them the only one who tried running from AHB. Why Powell doesn’t is a mystery.

Obviously I do. I never mentioned making breaks, I said distribution!
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

DaveO wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:56 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:21 pm
DaveO wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:46 am

You watch. different game to me. Powell’s distribution is poor and it was no better tonight. How many breaks did he make tonight? My guess would be zero. Against a very poor side.
I never said you did mention breaks. But then why would you when he rarely makes any? I asked a pointed question to point this out.

As to distribution Powell’s is poor. It’s slow and his passes are often not accurate. When he is at AHB the defence know exactly what he will do which is pass the ball. Slowly.

I am not suggesting for one minute O’Neil is the answer but it stood out like a sore thumb that he was out of the two of them the only one who tried running from AHB. Why Powell doesn’t is a mystery.

Obviously I do. I never mentioned making breaks, I said distribution!
I stand by my comment that, on Friday, Powell’s distribution was much better than O’Neill’s. Now, my post wasn’t intended to discuss the merits of Powell it was about O’Neill’s below par performance, which I am happy to discuss further if you so wish?
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

I’m sure a certain amount of you must miss most of the/a match, as there are a fair few of you seem to concentrate wholly, or appear to do, by the amount of posts on a particular players errors & mistakes, mostly Powell’s!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Southern Softy

Post by Southern Softy »

I'm really sorry for triggering all of this. It was just a passing comment that it was the only real mistake in a performance that could have seen us 'nilling' a team, which is a major achievement.

That being said - what marks great teams from good ones is that they analyse every part of every game and try and improve even when they have totally outplayed their opponents. That single error was pretty much irrelevant in this match but if you can stop it happening in a tight important match like a Grand Final, it can be crucial.
Flash

Post by Flash »

Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:33 pm
Wigan1 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 pm
Exiled Wiganer wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:24 am

Their try came from a missed Powell tackle. He fell off a one on one, and instantly blamed Bibby.
Shorrocks trying to swing the dummy half round after the ball had gone rather then following the ball was a bigger issue. After the ball had been passed, Shorrocks should have followed the ball and Bibby shouldn’t have shot the line. Shorrocks was covering his left from marker, the way the ball went, Powell would have covered the right, to say he missed a one on one tackle is completely out of context to suit your agenda.
I see - it’s an agenda is it. You think I can alter reality now? He was in a position to make a tackle and he fell off it. I am not making it up, that is actually what happened - it’s clear as day. Lots of things could have been done differently before he found himself in that position, but he still ended up there. Happy to blame a collective breakdown but I can’t see how anyone could actually watch it and conclude that he didn’t fall off the tackle and then instantly call out Bibby. They’re just facts, there is no opinion involved.

I really don’t want to labour the point, but I have played hundreds of games and attempted thousands of tackles over the years, and know a missed tackle when I see one. (Oh, and I didn’t introduce the topic and wouldn’t have mentioned it save that someone went out of the way to blame Bibby for it. Perhaps they have an anti Bibby agenda?)

In the scheme of things, it’s the single cloud in a blue sky, as it was a good overall performance. I am hugely enjoying this season, and have been happily astonished by how much Peet has got out of this group of players: which is the most we can ever ask of a coach.
If you had played hundreds of games as you claim you would know it was Bibby's fault. It really is that simple. That Powell fell off a tackle that he shouldn't have needed to make in the first place is a complete irrelevance. It's like blaming French because he was fullback and didn't stop the try. If Bibby doesn't over read the play, all subsequent events, including the try itself, don't happen.
widdenoldboy

Post by widdenoldboy »

Just to add a different perspective, it was hard to draw any concrete conclusions from the match, TO were patchy at best and sort of rubbed off on us. There were some really good individual efforts from French, Field, Smith and Marshall. KPP looked effective in the 2nd row, shame his offload was eventually dropped by Field.