Predicament

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Brennox7

Re: Predicament

Post by Brennox7 »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:00 pm I did post earlier in the season that I'd like to see a combination of Field and Cust at 6 and 7 respectively and French at 1!

That said, with Hardaker and Bibby going, O'Neill starting to develop, Powell signing an extension and others posting that Leuluai is going around again, where do we go?

Harry Smith is growing in confidence, as no signings in the back line are confirmed, presumably our back line for 2023 will consist of Field 1, French 2/5, Cust 6, Leuluai 7? This isn't my desired line and obviously it depends on who arrives and if Tommy stays or retires!
The good thing is Leuleui has a replacement already. And he must be on a couple of quid so we could use that money elsewhere!
NICKYKISS

Post by NICKYKISS »

Injuries, suspensions and losses of form are common place, so to have plenty of options and plenty of versatility is very handy. What we need to do is ensure competition is driven and top class performances are rewarded. If that means a high profile player misses a run of games, then so be it. You look at Custs injury and there’s nothing he can do about that but it shouldn’t be easy for him to get back in and he may have to bide his time. You then get a player who comes back in eventually and is absolutely desperate to do well.

The options we have are absolutely outstanding. It’s building nicely towards that magic fixture in 2 weeks. Saints will come at us at 100mph after the semi but I still think the games bigger for us. To beat them in a one off game is great but to do them back to back would really lay a marker down and it could be a huge turning point in the rivalry between us.
bertina

Post by bertina »

moto748 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:13 pm There are worse predicaments.
Not a bad predicament to have.
My thoughts:
Field, full back. His form has been superb there.
Smith and Cust, half backs. Both getting better week on week, and Smith starting to look like the decent goal kicker we’ve been desperate for.
French and Marshall wingers. Miski as reasonable back up. Two wingers not enough to get you through a season.
IF, Tommy goes around again it needs to be a bench spot.
Centres are what we need. Get 2 half decent centres and we are are looking OK for next season.
morley pie eater

Post by morley pie eater »

Brennox7 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 pm Hi folks, just posting as was wondering if any other fan's brains are rattled at the moment. Looking at next season if french stays..

French at 1 and Field at 6 looked good last night however we have Cust who is playing superb. However french could stay is convinced of FB position and Field is a natural 6.
Harry Smith is playing superb so I imagine if Tommy retires Smith will get the 7 jumper.
French could stay and play wing but then miski scores 4 last night and although against Toulouse, he's young and a good ball carrier.
Powell is staying so O'Neill will play second fiddle but will Leuleui stay and if so play were?

It's been a while since we have had a scenario were we have to many good players!

Thoughts?
Cheers, Billy
I understand your point, but just pointing out that Miski is 27 next month.
Wigan ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Saints ⭐⭐⭐
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

morley pie eater wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:05 pm
Brennox7 wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:45 pm Hi folks, just posting as was wondering if any other fan's brains are rattled at the moment. Looking at next season if french stays..

French at 1 and Field at 6 looked good last night however we have Cust who is playing superb. However french could stay is convinced of FB position and Field is a natural 6.
Harry Smith is playing superb so I imagine if Tommy retires Smith will get the 7 jumper.
French could stay and play wing but then miski scores 4 last night and although against Toulouse, he's young and a good ball carrier.
Powell is staying so O'Neill will play second fiddle but will Leuleui stay and if so play were?

It's been a while since we have had a scenario were we have to many good players!

Thoughts?
Cheers, Billy
I understand your point, but just pointing out that Miski is 27 next month.
I wish I was 27 😀
Exiled Wiganer

Post by Exiled Wiganer »

I think it’s a good problem to have. If we thought we had too many spine players, the one to lose would have been Powell, as Cust is a great hooker, with a running game (!) and O’Neill has already shown he can play well enough at 19 for us to beat Saints and win our first trophy in years. But that ship has sailed. French on the wing feels like a bit of a waste, but he can certainly do some damage there. And there are always injuries, so it’s fine for mine.
What we desperately need are 2 good centres. I don’t see many good English ones, so we would need to find at least one overseas player spot...
blindsideprop

Post by blindsideprop »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:27 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:56 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:44 pm
Why isn't it a nickname, has it been disallowed by the nickname police?

Was it a slur to call Keith Chegwin Cheggers?
I am just saying that he is the chairman/owner of our club, like him or not he deserves some respect instead of the childish nickname you made up for him!
Why is it childish?, I know many Wigan fans that call him Lenners, I don't find it childish or disrespectful at all
i called him worse than that,Lenners is not insulting
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

NICKYKISS wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:30 pm Injuries, suspensions and losses of form are common place, so to have plenty of options and plenty of versatility is very handy. What we need to do is ensure competition is driven and top class performances are rewarded. If that means a high profile player misses a run of games, then so be it. You look at Custs injury and there’s nothing he can do about that but it shouldn’t be easy for him to get back in and he may have to bide his time. You then get a player who comes back in eventually and is absolutely desperate to do well.

The options we have are absolutely outstanding. It’s building nicely towards that magic fixture in 2 weeks. Saints will come at us at 100mph after the semi but I still think the games bigger for us. To beat them in a one off game is great but to do them back to back would really lay a marker down and it could be a huge turning point in the rivalry between us.
It would really put a dent in their confidence IMO when we beat them at Magic 😂
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Wandering Warrior

Post by Wandering Warrior »

medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:44 pm
josie andrews wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:30 pm
medlocke wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:05 pm
Yet fans call players by nicknames, shouldn't they show a bit of respect as well 😊
But the word you are using is not a nickname! It really is a slur on the person. There is a big difference!
Why isn't it a nickname, has it been disallowed by the nickname police?

Was it a slur to call Keith Chegwin Cheggers?
I'll bet you're a right barrel of laughs sat on your couch, throwing a dice as to which player you'll slag off next.
Don't think I've ever seen a positive post from you.
Perhaps one positive though, the affordability of a new couch since leaving the EU?🤔
When John Byrom plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints - Jimmy Armfield
saint

Post by saint »

If I was in your predicament I’d be saying get shut of French no question .

He ain’t no winger and he is a liability .

If you need a winger go and source one , don’t try and fit a triangle in a square hole.

My father in law was at your game and he mentioned French bombed a few try’s ( I haven’t seen any footage) but he too is starting to see the light around French . I’ve said it from the off . He ain’t as good as he is made out to be and now he is out of position he is arguable dead wood ! You need to be ruthless in building !