Wigan Warriors: Abbas Miski reflects on his four tries against Toulouse and discusses how he will continue to improve

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors: Abbas Miski reflects on his four tries against Toulouse and discusses how he will continue to improve

Post by josie andrews »

Abbas Miski says he’s come a long way since making his Wigan Warriors debut.

The Lebanon winger scored four tries in the 40-6 victory against Toulouse, and admits he is determined to build on that performance, even if he is not in the side every week.

Miski states the occasion was made even better by the support of the fans inside the DW Stadium.

He said: “It was great. The team were really energised, and the fans were out in full force. Regardless of the four tries I was just happy with the turnout and the way we played.

We didn’t know beforehand how many people would turn up, it was a little unexpected. It was a bit of extra motivation for all of us to put in more work.

“It was a good win for us, especially after only winning by one point when we went over to Toulouse. We almost underestimated them in that game, but this time we gave them the respect they deserve.

“They haven’t been blown away by many teams, so we knew that we needed a strong attitude.

“For myself, to get four tries was something I wasn’t expecting. They just kept coming, but I didn’t have to do too much work for some.

They came on the back of some really good play on the inside. I thought Bevan (French) had an amazing game, and Jai (Field), they are superstars.

“Them two, alongside Willie (Isa) set me up for most of them, it was a good night.

“I was at the point where I was like, ‘keep them coming, this is great for me.’

“I took a little knock on my shoulder after the first one, so that lingered in my mind a little bit, but I sorted it out.

Personally, I feel like I’ve come a long way, just building game by game.

“I’ve just sort of realised what it takes to be a Wigan player.

“I’m taking every week as it come and really trying to improve myself in training. Regardless of whether I’m playing or not, the competition and general mood here is making me a better player.

“As a team, there’s been a massive emphasis on having 80 minute performances. We won the Challenge Cup, which was awesome, but we were still lacking that.

Friday was the closest we’ve come to that, but we want to improve on that.

“We want to get better to be successful in this competition.

“It’s gone past the point for us where we worry about combinations because whoever is in there is doing a job for the people around them, and that’s a really good thing.”

Miski says the whole squad came back refreshed following the international break.

“It just shows the amount of responsibility the club puts on us,” he added.

“They trust us, and we trust each other. They gave us a good week off, and the majority of the boys went away, so it was a really good break, mentally more than anything.

“It could’ve gone one of two ways, we could’ve come back and kicked our feet up a little bit, but we could tell everyone was really eager from the first day back at training, and that showed in the game.”

https://www.wigantoday.net/sport/rugby- ... me-3745849
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
southportcdm

Re: Wigan Warriors: Abbas Miski reflects on his four tries against Toulouse and discusses how he will continue to improv

Post by southportcdm »

Great to see Abbas play so well on Friday. He seems to be improving and it will be good for his confidence to score four against Toulouse when he'd struggled against them over there. He looked much more confident under the high ball and he runs the ball up really strongly. Although I feel that he doesn't possess great pace for a winger I was impressed by the way he can offload in the tackle which does provide an extra threat on attack. I hope he gets more game time against stronger opposition to give him the opportunity to prove that he's worth a quota spot.
adam0026

Re: Wigan Warriors: Abbas Miski reflects on his four tries against Toulouse and discusses how he will continue to improv

Post by adam0026 »

Really pleased for Abbas.
He had a really slow start with a poor game at the beginning of the season.
I thought he was really good against castleford a few weeks ago and 4 try’s on Friday isn’t bad at all.
I think he will be a really good squad player
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

adam0026 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:07 pm Really pleased for Abbas.
I thought he was really good against castleford a few weeks ago and 4 try’s on Friday isn’t bad at all.
Abbas is going in the right direction but we need him to become a regular in the team rather than a squad player as he is occupying one of our quota spots.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

Charriots Offiah wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:07 pm
adam0026 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:07 pm Really pleased for Abbas.
Abbas is going in the right direction but we need him to become a regular in the team rather than a squad player as he is occupying one of our quota spots.
He won't be dislodging French or Marshall though will he?
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

I think it was great for Abbas and his confidence, certainly nowhere near the level of French or Marshall, very unlikely to break into the first team as it stands. He clearly has the frame and physique, it could well take time for him to adapt to SL after playing at London last season.
Reality is the four tries he scored where laid on a plate (taking nothing from him), he has to take opportunities as it comes I guess, if we don't have injuries, a loan at an SL club (if possible), could help?