Gallery: Club training session

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Gallery: Club training session

Post by josie andrews »

Monday night saw 200 Wigan Warriors players from 11 different teams all take part in one training session at Robin Park Arena.

For the first time ever, players from the First Team, Reserves, Academy, Scholarship, Women, Women’s Academy, Physical Disability Rugby League, Learning Disability Rugby League, Wheelchair, Touch and College teams all took part in different groups.

Each group had at least one player from every team and they rotated to get involved in various sessions which were led by 40 coaches from all of the different teams.

The 12 groups all got involved in sessions including offside touch, skill games and drills, passing, tag, wheelchair, yoga/movement and strength and conditioning.

“We are trying to build a winning First Team, but it is also important that we build a Club that people feel a part of,” said Executive Director, Kris Radlinski. “The session saw players of all abilities training with the biggest stars at the Club, that is something that they will never forget. It was not just for players. Our junior coaches also got the opportunity to coach the first team. Seeing all the Club integrated as one was really important for us all. I can’t think of many more important, significant and humbling evenings in recent years.”

He added: “When I spoke to the coaches about doing the session, I said that the first team players will not get much out of it because of the varying skill levels but I now retract that comment. The holistic benefit of the session was immeasurable, and I commend our senior players for the way they threw themselves wholeheartedly into the night.

“Seeing the likes of Bevan [French] and Tommy [Leuluai] laughing and enjoying themselves with the players from all the teams was awesome. I was so proud of the Club and I would like to thank all the coaches and players for buying into the bigger picture.

“The night finished with a united circle of over 200 players and staff and an encore from Liam Marshall on the microphone. A perfect night.”

Take a look at the best photos from the night, courtesy of Club Photographer, Bernard Platt:

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/06/ ... g-session/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
medlocke

Re: Gallery: Club training session

Post by medlocke »

Good stuff Josie, That young lad with the sports glasses look like he was having a good time, looked really happy with ball in hand, nice to see
southportcdm

Post by southportcdm »

Great to see the club doing these kinds of activities. Well done to everybody involved. My only concern would be the covid situation. Are teams still expected to test the players regularly? I've seen reports of athletes/players from all kinds of sports testing positive in the last couple of weeks.
Charriots Offiah

Post by Charriots Offiah »

Fantastic.
Blackpool_Pie

Post by Blackpool_Pie »

What a club
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

It is good to see isn't it! :D. Sure I've seen the head of John Winder, forgot he was still with the club.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

CheshireWarrior wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:18 pm It is good to see isn't it! :D. Sure I've seen the head of John Winder, forgot he was still with the club.
Yes he is, miss seeing him about
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
the pieman

Post by the pieman »

brilliant

what stood out from the photos was how much fun they all seemed to be having
eaststandspy

Post by eaststandspy »

Absolutely brilliant Wigan, take a bow. Even the anyone but Wigan twisted and bitter brigade could not be anything but impressed.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

eaststandspy wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:07 pm Absolutely brilliant Wigan, take a bow. Even the anyone but Wigan twisted and bitter brigade could not be anything but impressed.
Exactly!