Nicholson joins Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
Charriots Offiah

Re: Nicholson joins Warrington

Post by Charriots Offiah »

fozzieskem wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 7:12 pm
Charriots Offiah wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:55 pm Back to Nicholson. Perhaps it is a wake up call for Wigan. Rather than relying on loyalty, we need to get players to sign on the dotted line.
As the saying goes you can't keep em all,sadly it's not pokemon I suppose we fans have to trust the coaching staff to get the calls right, I'll say this though and it's not a go at the lad the club did the right thing letting him go immediately no point in him hanging round if hes off to pastures new.
I agree that he had to be released but it appears we were slow off the mark when it comes to renewing his contract. We should have extended last year when his contract had 12 months to run. The lad has talent, the club knew it and they should have tied him down.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Warrington Wolves boss Daryl Powell hits back after Wigan boss Matt Peet criticism

Warrington head coach Daryl Powell has said the people who run their academy are "far from demoralised" following criticism from Wigan boss Matt Peet.

Peet criticised Warrington in a press conference on Wednesday when asked about the Wire signing young Wigan academy graduate Matty Nicholson.

Nicholson, 18, made the short trip to join Warrington on a three-year deal.

"I read about the strength of their academy, then they continually pay for players," Peet said.

Speaking to BBC Radio Manchester, he added: "It would be demoralising to work in Warrington's academy.

"Ellis Longstaff, Sam Storey, Dean Beddall, they paid for, now Matty Nicholson. I would have liked to keep Matty, he would have developed into a first-team player here. He should develop into one there. I think it proves that our academy is superior to theirs."

When asked by BBC Radio Manchester on Thursday about Peet's comments, Powell responded by backing his support staff.

"It was a bit of a rant, wasn't it? Our academy and the people that are in it at the moment are absolutely superb," he said.

"Our scholars beat St Helens last night, our academy beat St Helens the other week. The people that are running the academy are far from demoralised, they are embedded in Warrington.

"You've got to be driven and focussed, just like all our coaches and staff are. I don't think it's a great comment from him."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/61995929
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

And the poor Beeb are as bad as Nadine Norris in getting things wrong with the Powell report!

They’ve posted a photo of Brad O’Neill instead of Nicholson!! 😳😳
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
pedro

Post by pedro »

josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm And the poor Beeb are as bad as Nadine Norris in getting things wrong with the Powell report!

warrington guardian did also
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

pedro wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:09 am
josie andrews wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:26 pm And the poor Beeb are as bad as Nadine Norris in getting things wrong with the Powell report!

warrington guardian did also
So Warrington have been watching Nicholson for some time but don’t know what he looks like?😳😳😂😂