Nicholson joins Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
God2

Re: Nicholson joins Warrington

Post by God2 »

Being involved with the running of Warrington’s academy set up must be a fruitless and unrewarding task imo. Going as far as their academy scouts pointless them being there.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

God2 wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 5:01 pm Being involved with the running of Warrington’s academy set up must be a fruitless and unrewarding task imo. Going as far as their academy scouts pointless them being there.
I bet its not a fruitless and unrewarding task when they are filling out mutiple sets of books and accounts......laughing all the way to the bank!
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Bloody love this interview

Wigan Warriors: Matty Peet reacts to Matty Nicholson's move to Warrington Wolves

Matty Peet says it is disappointing to see Matty Nicholson leave Wigan Warriors.

The young forward has joined Warrington Wolves on a three-year deal with immediate effect.

Peet believes Nicholson’s departure highlights Wigan’s strong track record of developing young players.

He said: “I’m really disappointed, he’s a good player with massive potential. He’s a good lad and a good person.

“I’m left scratching my head somewhat at his decision. If there is anything I think we can do here, and we’ve proven we do, is giving young players a chance and developing their talent.

"He didn’t see it playing out that way and thinks it’s a simpler path playing there at Warrington.

When it came to talking about his contract, he did mention it. I reminded him that he is 18 and his goal at the start of pre-season was to make his debut, which he has done.

“There is a pathway here for him to play many more games going forward for this club over the next few years. Us, St Helens and Leeds stand alone in giving players a chance, and that was always the intention.

"It’s his decision so I don’t want to say too much, but we have done a hell of a lot to convince him stay. I would’ve liked to see him stick with us for a few more years yet.

"It’s another tick for our academy for producing players, but on the flip side it would be demoralising to work in Warrington’s academy. I read about the strength of it but then they continually pay for our players.

“Ellis Longstaff they paid for, Sam Storey they paid for, Dean Beddall they paid for and now Matty Nicholson. Although we would like to keep Matty, he would’ve developed into a first team player here, he should develop into a first team player there. I think it proves that our academy is superior to theirs.”

"We will now give the opportunity to someone else if it should arise. He’s been developed to a certain level that Warrington are willing to pay for him and ultimately we would rather invest our time in players who want to be here.”

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... es-3750493
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Big stick

Post by Big stick »

Heard from Wire fans this is Peet spitting his dummy out but I think this is an honest response. Shows frustration from Peet but I think he sees that Nicholson isn’t going to progress at a club that don’t promote from their own academy with a mediocre coach that again doesn’t have a track record of bringing youth through. The lads 18 he still got a bit to learn. Good luck to him, I think he’ll need it at Warrington.
nathan_rugby

Post by nathan_rugby »

He doesn’t sound happy.

Sounds like Nicholson wanted too much too soon.
Bomhead - "Lockers to prop."
Caboosegg

Post by Caboosegg »

I still don't get the full support of Powell he's won nothing at the highest level with his best taking teams to the same point Warrington where always getting to.
These are two reasons not to trust people.
1. We don't know them.
2. We do know them.
josie andrews

Post by josie andrews »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:57 pm I still don't get the full support of Powell he's won nothing at the highest level with his best taking teams to the same point Warrington where always getting to.
He was moved upstairs then away from Leeds as coach years ago!
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Caboosegg wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:57 pm I still don't get the full support of Powell he's won nothing at the highest level with his best taking teams to the same point Warrington where always getting to.
It seems to me wire made a big play for Powell,now like it or not that side needs what he's doing to it a total rebuild,they've won naff all for the money the board sink in to keep tinkering isn't the way to go.

The issue is is Powell the right Man for the job I suspect we will all know next year if his scheme has worked,but to keep on keeping on at wire isn't going to win any grand finals and to not back him is folly.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Well looking how it stands now at Wire, Charnley and King both depart (mid-season). Cooper confirms his departure, Dudson, Kasiano, Vaughan, Mikaele, Wardle, Amor and Nicholson all arriving now or next season would suggest huge changes and one hell of a leap of faith in Powell's vision for the future.

He is a good coach, but based on just above departures and arrivals that are confirmed and this turmoil with results this season, to me, it's make or break next season. It appears he's bringing in his wish list and removing who he considers dead wood.
w.thomas

Post by w.thomas »

A shame to lose the lad he looked like a real talent. Hope for his sake he’s made the right decision. Hasn’t worked out for players in the past, what’s Sammy kibula up to these days? 👀