Nicholson joins Warrington

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Nicholson joins Warrington

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors confirm the immediate departure of young forward Matty Nicholson who has joined Warrington Wolves on a permanent deal.

Nicholson, 18, leaves Wigan having played one senior game against Huddersfield Giants back in May.

Head Coach, Matt Peet, said: “We are disappointed that Matty has decided to take a different pathway than the one presented here. We wish him all the best for the future and hope to see him fulfil his potential.”

https://wiganwarriors.com/blog/2022/06/ ... arrington/
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan
Big stick

Re: Nicholson joins Warrington

Post by Big stick »

Disappointing anyone know if we got a fee for the lad?
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

Big stick wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:35 pm Disappointing anyone know if we got a fee for the lad?
Can't imagine wigan would have to be honest
doc

Post by doc »

Was talking to Simon Moran (didn't know it was him at first - just sat in the stand with his mates like any other fan, regular bloke considering he's worth 150 million quid) about Matty Nicholson at the recent Reserves match vs Wire. Wish I hadn't been as positive about him! On the other hand, we can't keep him, KPP, Smithies, Batty, Faz, McDonnell, Isa, Nsemba etc. all happy. FYI he also talked a bit about Partington, Charnley and a few of the forwards they have since signed from Oz and others they have let go.
No straw damn us

Post by No straw damn us »

fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 pm
Big stick wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 12:35 pm Disappointing anyone know if we got a fee for the lad?
I thought there was a ruling that if you signed a young player from another team you had to pay some sort of fixed fee as "a contribution" towards that players development?
Suzieb

Post by Suzieb »

It's a shame that he is leaving but good luck to him it happens so many times,anyone heard anything about us going for Ricky Luatele from hudds
fozzieskem

Post by fozzieskem »

No straw damn us wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:27 pm
fozzieskem wrote: Wed Jun 29, 2022 1:16 pm
I thought there was a ruling that if you signed a young player from another team you had to pay some sort of fixed fee as "a contribution" towards that players development?
Isn't that just for football or is it a case of his contract running down he's decided to move on and wigan let him go now?

Either way it won't be much if anything else be fair about it
doc

Post by doc »

At the rate Wire are moving out players from their pack I guess he sees it as everyone is starting with a clean slate and that he has more chance of making the team than trying to break through into a team that has established internationals in his position. Most of our pack are contracted til end of 2023. Also, Wire seem to have a better accountant than us wrt the cap!
God2

Post by God2 »

So just to recap Warrington have paid for Ellis Longstaff, Sam Storey, Dean Beddall and now Matthew Nicholson. Their academy isn’t all that it’s cracked up to be.

Such a buying club that’s a pain in the arse for us. They even went for KPP if I remember rightly.

I honestly hope we produce someone better and grounded. I hope Nsemba comes to fruition.
CheshireWarrior

Post by CheshireWarrior »

Same old scene with Wire! Hopefully with the same results......no SL title!