Wigan Warriors: Willie Isa discusses his recent trip to America and how he surprised his partner Gemma Bonner

Discuss all things Wigan Warriors. Comments and opinions on all aspects of the club's performance are welcome.
josie andrews

Wigan Warriors: Willie Isa discusses his recent trip to America and how he surprised his partner Gemma Bonner

Post by josie andrews »

Wigan Warriors’ Willie Isa made the last minute decision to jet off to America to surprise his partner during the international period.

The 33-year-old made the most of the extended break, travelling straight from the airport to watch Racing Louisville’s game against Angel City.

Isa’s partner Gemma Bonner, who currently plays for the NWSL side, had no idea he was among the fans in the stadium until after the match.

He said: “As everyone knows it’s important in relationships to communicate, and it was great timing that I had the opportunity to go, so I made the most of the days off.

“ We are both living the dream doing what we love, but that obviously comes with some sacrifices with where we are living.

“We are both grateful for what we are doing, and the support for each other is always there and always strong.

“It was very hot and humid in Kentucky, but I enjoyed my time there with Gemma, that was the most important thing.

“It was a last minute decision to go. Our schedule doesn’t really allow us to plan. I’m grateful that I’m in the fortunate position to just book a flight and head over.

“ I went to the match straight from the airport and saw her after, so we shared a special moment at that time.

“I waited patiently because she was signing a few autographs, so I just stood in a corner because I didn’t want to make a big scene.

“She was surprised, but I think it’s the best thing I reckon I’ve done. There were tears of joy because I haven’t seen her for so long. It was a good moment.

“I would’ve been in trouble if she hadn’t gone signing all the autographs, because I would’ve needed to find another way for her to recognise I was here, otherwise I’d need to call her and ask for a lift because I didn’t know how to get to her house.”

Isa returned ahead of the preparations for the game against Toulouse Olympique, starting at centre in the 40-6 victory at the DW Stadium.

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fw ... er-3748347
Anyone can support a team when it is winning, that takes no courage.
But to stand behind a team, to defend a team when it is down and really needs you,
that takes a lot of courage. #18thMan